How does TSW feel about Andy Reid?   

168 members have voted

1. 1. I feel Andy Reid.....

• Is a hall of fame coach
    • Shouldn’t be in the HoF yet, but he’s a damn good coach
    • Is an ok coach
    • Sucks as a coach

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

An OK coach.  Good offensive mind but tends to outguess himself in playoff situations, make mistakes with clock management, and such.  In the Hall of Good to Very Good.

An ok coach? ? take.  

how do you rank McDermott by those standards?

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

An ok coach? ? take.  

how do you rank McDermott by those standards?

A work in progress.  Has a long way to go.  To put it in perspective, as much as we all love Marv I don't think he should be in the Hall.  Not even close in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

A work in progress.  Has a long way to go.  To put it in perspective, as much as we all love Marv I don't think he should be in the Hall.  Not even close in my opinion.

With all due respect respect, I couldn’t disagree with you more. Marv definitely deserves the Hall and since I think Reid is a better coach, he does to.  

people put way too much stock on one game.  

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

A question:

Wrecks’ Ryan > Andy Reid, since Ryan has a ring?  Can’t remember if he got it as third assistant defensive line coach, or maybe because he found it in a pawn shop.  ?

No way.  Wrecks has a ring as the D-line coach for Brian Billick.  I'm fairly certain Marvin Lewis was the DC back in 2000.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

With all due respect respect, I couldn’t disagree with you more. Marv definitely deserves the Hall and since I think Reid is a better coach, he does to.  

people put way too much stock on one game.  

We agree to disagree then.  Reid has not won a championship.  A very good offensive mind, but if he doesn't ever win one then he is on a long list of very good coordinators that didn't really make it as a HC.  Same with Marv; he didn't win a championship and I would argue that for the first and last of the 4 we lost because we got completely outcoached in each game.  Great guy, love what Marv did, but not HOF caliber.  I readily admit my standards for the Hall are high.  For coaches you have to be a winner.  Neither of these guys have been.  If Reid wins one or two my opinion would likely change.

Same thing with players.  To me they have to be truly great at their position..  I think the guys from the Bills that are in belong there.  And I would put Tasker in; he redefined how special teams are played and that deserves credit.  But he won't as we all know.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

We agree to disagree then.  Reid has not won a championship.  A very good offensive mind, but if he doesn't ever win one then he is on a long list of very good coordinators that didn't really make it as a HC.  Same with Marv; he didn't win a championship and I would argue that for the first and last of the 4 we lost because we got completely outcoached in each game.  Great guy, love what Marv did, but not HOF caliber.  I readily admit my standards for the Hall are high.  For coaches you have to be a winner.  Neither of these guys have been.  If Reid wins one or two my opinion would likely change.

Same thing with players.  To me they have to be truly great at their position..  I think the guys from the Bills that are in belong there.  And I would put Tasker in; he redefined how special teams are played and that deserves credit.  But he won't as we all know.

I just think the championship point is so overrated. Football is the ultimate team game.  For instance, Rodgers completely blows Tom Brady’s postseason numbers away. Yet, he’s only won SB because he’s had some crappy defenses.  Marv making 4 straight SBs is a ton more impressive than Billick riding an all time great defense to one.  Same thing with Reid, who has had like 2 losing seasons in 21 years and is taking a second team to the SB.  I think it would be insane not to put the coach with the 7th most wins of all time in but to each, their own.

but along the lines, do you think Gore is a HOFer?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I just think the championship point is so overrated. Football is the ultimate team game.  For instance, Rodgers completely blows Tom Brady’s postseason numbers away. Yet, he’s only won SB because he’s had some crappy defenses.  Marv making 4 straight SBs is a ton more impressive than Billick riding an all time great defense to one.  Same thing with Reid, who has had like 2 losing seasons in 21 years and is taking a second team to the SB.  I think it would be insane not to put the coach with the 7th most wins of all time in but to each, their own.

but along the lines, do you think Gore is a HOFer?

I think Gore is borderline.  I would have to see who else he was up against in a given year before I'd put him in.  You have to give him credit for longevity an the total production he's had.  I suspect I would not vote him in on say first or second ballet.  

I fully get where you're coming from on coaches.  I just think sustained excellence in the form of championships should be used as the measure of a great coach.  You mention Billick, and that would be laughable of course.  One SB doesn't make a great coach. 

Too bad we're not electors; it would liven up the debate in the voting room.

those Eagle teams he took to the post season had mediocre talent yet he got them there. Seeing how badly Donovan McNabb failed away from him makes you realize what a great QB coach he is. The tragedy with his sons makes you want to root for him. I think he'll get his ring next week. His coaching tree might be the best ever