Cap space as trade currency?

Just a random thought I had...what if cap space could be used as trade currency?  We already see trades that involve eating cap, but what if cap space itself could be traded?  Teams up against the cap, but who like their roster might trade draft picks for increased cap.  Likewise, teams with a ton of cap room could use it not only on free agency, but trades as well.  Like a team trading $5 mil of 2020 cap room for a 3rd round pick or such.

Honestly, I don't know how I feel about it.  Could likely be abused.  Just, seemed at least a curious idea and I wondered what all of you thought.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Just a random thought I had...what if cap space could be used as trade currency?  We already see trades that involve eating cap, but what if cap space itself could be traded?  Teams up against the cap, but who like their roster might trade draft picks for increased cap.  Likewise, teams with a ton of cap room could use it not only on free agency, but trades as well.  Like a team trading $5 mil of 2020 cap room for a 3rd round pick or such.

Honestly, I don't know how I feel about it.  Could likely be abused.  Just, seemed at least a curious idea and I wondered what all of you thought.

don’t like it. Owners like Bengals Owner would abuse it all day long to put more $ into pockets. Also where does that cap space revert in the next year? Stay with the team that traded for it or revert back to the team that traded it would cause a mess IMO

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Love it.

Not sure this would work. There would be an issue of how many years a team would keep another teams cap space. Length of the rookie deal? Would it be a use it or lose it situation or could teams sit on it and let it roll over? Seems like it would become a mess.

This was a similar example

The Texans wanted to jettison Osweiler's $16 million base salary in 2017 and found a taker in the Browns.

The Browns will receive a 2018 second-round draft pick and a 2017 sixth-round pick. The Browns will send the Texans a 2017 fourth-round pick.

https://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/2017/03/houston_texans_trade_qb_brock.html

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, ALF said:

The Texans wanted to jettison Osweiler's $16 million base salary in 2017 and found a taker in the Browns.

The Browns will receive a 2018 second-round draft pick and a 2017 sixth-round pick. The Browns will send the Texans a 2017 fourth-round pick.

The Dolphins getting Talib from the Rams this past season another example. 

• Like (+1) 2

Nah, teams should suffer for their bad decision making, FOs that are smart benefit, others not so much, and deservedly so, jmo. 

Go Bills!!! 

25 minutes ago, Jobot said:

I feel like this already happens in a roundabout way by teams taking players with bloated contracts as part of trade deals.

Yep. 

I think the only difference is a team that is up against the cap, likes it’s roster and feels it needs more cap to re-sign it’s own players about to hit FA. Look at the Falcons, I bet they would gladly trade away the extra second round pick they got from NE for maybe $10 mil in cap space.  Falcons have a few players they would like to re-sign but only have $6 mil in space. Am I on the right path in the logic behind trading picks for cap? 

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Trading cap space for picks straight up is verboten in the NFL.  This example was the work around to technically be within the rules.  I wouldn’t be against the Bills doing something like this, but it’s rare that a team is in the position the Texans were in.  You have to find a team with big guaranteed salary to a player they have given up on and is in such bad cap space that they are willing to part with a high pick to rid themselves of the contract.  And then the Bills would have to be willing to wait a year for the high pick since the NFL won’t authorize a player and a higher pick for a lower pick in the same year.  That’s just not going to happen very often. 

Edited by BarleyNY

30 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Yep. 

I think the only difference is a team that is up against the cap, likes it’s roster and feels it needs more cap to re-sign it’s own players about to hit FA. Look at the Falcons, I bet they would gladly trade away the extra second round pick they got from NE for maybe $10 mil in cap space.  Falcons have a few players they would like to re-sign but only have $6 mil in space. Am I on the right path in the logic behind trading picks for cap? 

Yeah, you got it exactly.  I do see how it could be abused, was just a rogue thought.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

i think it’s a great idea. NFLPA won’t like it though

28 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Trading cap space for picks straight up is verboten in the NFL.  This example was the work around to technically be within the rules.  I wouldn’t be against the Bills doing something like this, but it’s rare that a team is in the position the Texans were in.  You have to find a team with big guaranteed salary to a player they have given up on and is in such bad cap space that they are willing to part with a high pick to rid themselves of the contract.  And then the Bills would have to be willing to wait a year for the high pick since the NFL won’t authorize a player and a higher pick for a lower pick in the same year.  That’s just not going to happen very often. 

Bills did this work around with Dareus in my Opinion 

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

The only way it could work (maybe) is if teams were trading draft picks in to the league for cap space and each pick has a predetermined monetary value. For instance, Team A calls the league office and says it wants to trade it's number 2 2nd round pick (ie overall pick number 54) in for more cap space and the league takes that pick and give team A the added cap space of what ever the predetermined cap space value is for that pick. Pick number 54 then can go "up for sale" to any other team that want to buy it. If team B wants to buy that pick, it costs them the same amount monetarily in cap space that was given in cap space to team A. If something like this were to be put into place, they would have to set limits on it as well. Something like you can only do league trades of "cap for draft pick" or "draft pick for cap" twice each off season, and you can't trade a draft pick that you have "purchased" from the league to another team.

I don't see it working if teams were trading cap space for draft picks with each other. Like other said. It gets to messy. Even what I described above it a bit convoluted but it's better than letting teams go all willie-nilly with their draft picks or cap space. 

The CBA does not allow it.  This feels like confusion between MLB rules vs NFL rules.  A player has to be attached like in the Oswheiler deal.  

This is the same as when posters suggest we trade someone away but agree to pay some of the salary.  It does not fly in the NFL but does in baseball   

4 hours ago, StHustle said:

Not sure this would work. There would be an issue of how many years a team would keep another teams cap space. Length of the rookie deal? Would it be a use it or lose it situation or could teams sit on it and let it roll over? Seems like it would become a mess.

Everyone gets so much a year. Let's say $200 million for a nice round number. You have $89 million in cap space and trade $5 million of that to another team for a third round pick. You lose that cap space for that year. It's gone. That team can then use it for that season. After that season, that $5 million is gone and you can't roll it over if you don't use it. For the team that traded the cap space, you just go back to whatever you would be at based on the cap space for the next season. It would get hard with having to make sure you are spending so much of your cap over the three year average.