The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Note that this has not been non-peer reviewed (at least as of posting), but this is sobering.

We shall see how this prediction stacks up to actuals in a few weeks. Also, note that "infections" does not correlate with diagnosed cases due to incubation periods.

• Thank you (+1) 2

I'm probably only one of a handful of posters here who actually have been to the city of Wuhan.

I was on a Viking cruise up the Yangtze River. They flew us from Shanghai to Wuhan which is where the ship was docked.

We toured the city a bit, saw a large museum complex (ancient pottery and brass) and heard their famous bell choir play.

We then had to make an unscheduled stop in another city up the river (I think it was Yichang). They told us at dinner that we HAD to put at least one piece of luggage outside our cabin by 11PM that night.They said you could put any dirty clothes inside, it wasn't important to have all your belongings in there. They said the luggage would be returned the next morning before we left the city.

The reason for this was:

The Chinese Communist Party began their National Convention in Beijing and ALL luggage entering China HAD to be X-Rayed.

Wuhan's airport did not have an X-Ray machine.

We didn't see the luggage being taken away, but the next morning lots of folks were watching as the bearers climbed down and then up the 100 or so steps from the dock to the street carrying at least two suitcases on poles across the back of their necks.

True story.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Lots of rumors persist, including from China health care workers, that the real number of known infections is closer ~100,000.

Canada and Australia are now reporting cases. And a 3rd one is now in the US, in Orange County, CA.

Edited by Hedge
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It's important to understand that mis/disinfo doesn't just come from the Chinese government.  I'm willing to bet that most of the pictures we are seeing of sick/dead people in China are not from this outbreak.

There's a lot of uncertainty thanks to the Chinese constantly lying, but public health interventions most certainly make infection reproduction numbers go down - even in 3rd world conditions.  I've seen R numbers for this virus anywhere from 2.5 to 3.8.  By comparison, measles is anywhere from 12 to 18.

Is it bad?  Yeah - but it's mostly bad because the Chinese were more concerned about saving face than they were saving lives.  Luckily we don't have the same kinds of issues with our government that the Chinese have.

3 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Is it bad?  Yeah - but it's mostly bad because the Chinese were more concerned about saving face than they were saving lives.  Luckily we don't have the same kinds of issues with our government that the Chinese have.

I don't know your views well enough to know if the bolded above was sincere or ironic. 

I think we do now have a government that is very much less truthful than past administrations.  They are terribly dishonest, when it benefits them.  Recall the Alabama hurricane?  That was administration efforts to lie to the public in order to save face.  This administration is not above being dishonest.  Not the least bit.