The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

43 minutes ago, Magox said:

Thank you for this post!

I didn't even research what you are saying in regards to the average stay in nursing homes being 5 1/2 months.  Not to sound cold and callous but frankly speaking, I would say that the average profile of the COVID death of 80 years old with 2 or more comorbidities probably has an even shorter time span than the 5 1/2 months that you cited.   

And with today's media and political environment there is no "greater good" discussions that can be had.  It's impossible.   Even if politicians and the media decided to all of a sudden begin discussing/covering this virus in a serious manner, the mental damage has been done.  There are too many people who are suffering through a sort of trauma that has been promulgated via the media and the emotive equation now trumps the logical state for too many people.   Anecdotally speaking, I can't even begin to have these sort of conversations with people that I know on Social media.  They simply block out any news that can be construed as positive.  They don't want to talk about it.   I will probably create a thread about this because I do believe that there is sort of a stockholm syndrome effect that is occurring through many people's minds.  Where they live in this cocoon of fear and they don't want to leave it no matter what the circumstances dictate.  Sort of like survivors that suffer the stockholm syndrome, after a while they begin to care for their captor and when given the opportunity to escape they don't.   Not saying the two are the exact same, and I have given this a lot of thought but I do think there is a sort of a connection in mentality between the two.  Except this time the captor is the media which drives fear.  And even though when presented factual data to alleviate this fear, the survivors which in this case are the ones who are living in this condition due to the virus decide to remain in their cocoon of fear.

Living in fear can be bad on immune system. 

I'm taking this virus complex and something new to learn each time.

• Like (+1) 1

There are numerous studies that question the effectiveness of cloth masks.  Some even show that cloth masks raise the chance of infection.

Why do we question the effectiveness of some medicines and measures but not others?

39 minutes ago, Joe Miner said:

There are numerous studies that question the effectiveness of cloth masks.  Some even show that cloth masks raise the chance of infection.

Why do we question the effectiveness of some medicines and measures but not others?

Here's an NIH mask study.  Get an N95 mask if you are concerned. Those work. The rest some might refer to as a placebo (or control).

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

This is a really big country! The response to this virus has been, and continues to be, way too holistic. We simply don’t have a problem out here in California...and we haven’t since this all started. 

States running the show gives this result. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Here's an NIH mask study.  Get an N95 mask if you are concerned. Those work. The rest some might refer to as a placebo (or control).

For healthcare workers working all day with sick people, who may or may not disinfect the cloth masks, cloth masks are a bad choice. That is different from you in your 20 minutes at Wegmans. It's a limited conclusion. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

States running the show gives this result. 

It’s past time for Red states to go full open. The Blue states can remain closed until chaos breaks out...but zero federal dollars should be used to bail them out.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I do believe that masks reduce the spread of the virus, but if the border wall debate taught me anything it's that any measure that isn't 100% effective isn't worth doing at all, so I won't be using a mask.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

Just now, Foxx said:

that didn't take long, lol, thanks.

We had it sent to us over the weekend from our CA friends, and while it proved to be untrue, let's be honest: who here wouldn't believe it if it were true? CA is already eager to threaten to take your kids away via some obscure homeschooling laws, so this isn't a stretch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Still waiting for the spike in cases in Williamsburg Brooklyn after the funeral fiasco 2 weeks ago ….

Maybe the inward backwards sect is on to something?

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Joe Miner said:

Mostly due to virtue signaling. A face covering ( not common in USA before this) is a fear inducing item, and subconsciously a sign of submissiveness. It’s an extreme change, and therefore viewed as favorable. The effectiveness of gloves, on the other hand has also been questioned. Those items of PPE have been largely panned by the media. They’re just not extreme enough .The idea is to create a population that is submissive , and passive to government control. 

On 5/9/2020 at 9:17 PM, shoshin said:

This is the google project. Doing lots of testing and cost is free if you’re symptom free. 

http://projectbaseline.com/study/covid-19

Just had this done. Rite Aid parking lot in Colonial Heights VA.

Had an 11:30 slot, arrived right at 11:30, two lanes for testing, 1 car in front of me in each lane. Confirmed my ID,then wait for tent to open up.

The had a six foot folding table( perfect for slamming, but i digress), they stood at one end, sent a plastic tray with a swab and vial in it to car  window. Test consisted of opening the swab the swab, inserting in left nostril about halfway up, two full rotations in nostril..then hold there for 15 seconds.

Repeat for the right nostril. Seal in vial, put it back in tray, end of test.

Was there about 5 minutes, self administered, and was not what i feared which was that thing being shoved halfway down your nasal cavity.

Again , I have no inclination i have the virus, but if it takes more testing to get our lives back, i will do it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Mostly due to virtue signaling. A face covering ( not common in USA before this) is a fear inducing item, and subconsciously a sign of submissiveness. It’s an extreme change, and therefore viewed as favorable. The effectiveness of gloves, on the other hand has also been questioned. Those items of PPE have been largely panned by the media. They’re just not extreme enough .The idea is to create a population that is submissive , and passive to government control. 

Social distancing and health measures are not a sign of weakness. They are attempts to minimize the spread of a virus that has killed ~80,000 people in 2 months. We are all in the infection pool together and even if you're not at risk, as I believe I am not, I don't want to spread it to others who might be more at risk. That should be all of our goal so our health system can maintain itself and at-risk people are protected. 

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

Had an 11:30 slot, arrived right at 11:30, two lanes for testing, 1 car in front of me in each lane. Confirmed my ID,then wait for tent to open up.

The had a six foot folding table( perfect for slamming, but i digress), they stood at one end, sent a plastic tray with a swab and vial in it to car  window. Test consisted of opening the swab the swab, inserting in left nostril about halfway up, two full rotations in nostril..then hold there for 15 seconds.

Repeat for the right nostril. Seal in vial, put it back in tray, end of test.

Was there about 5 minutes, self administered, and was not what i feared which was that thing being shoved halfway down your nasal cavity.

Again , I have no inclination i have the virus, but if it takes more testing to get our lives back, i will do it.

There are other tests for $120 from Quest that test for antibodies without a prescription.

I have almost no chance of having the virus now so the Rite Aid thing is unlikely to come back positive. The antibody one will also not likely show something but it would have more chance since it will indicate a past infection (if accurate). 

The prevalence of this in society at large is not going to be that high but even though I'm busy at work, I'm happy to go out give this a try. I'd love to know I'm clear or being a high-risk carrier to others. 

7 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Social distancing and health measures are not a sign of weakness. They are attempts to minimize the spread of a virus that has killed ~80,000 people in 2 months. We are all in the infection pool together and even if you're not at risk, as I believe I am not, I don't want to spread it to others who might be more at risk. That should be all of our goal so our health system can maintain itself and at-risk people are protected. 

The discussion was focused on why some things are treated favorably over others , even when the effectiveness of each has been questioned. Weakness was not a word I used, and no one wants to spread this virus.  Giving each other a little more personal space is not undesirable even without Covid 19. Personally, I’ve worn nitrile gloves and a face covering in every store I’ve entered since they’ve been required fwiw. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Would you stand still for one moment, please? I'm tracking you on Google maps and I can't tell if that's a receding hairline or a bad camera angle.

• Haha (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Would you stand still for one moment, please? I'm tracking you on Google maps and I can't tell if that's a receding hairline or a bad camera angle.

both? No good angle for my mug. I use chrome on the phone too..those fuggers know every hooker  and crack den i have ever been to, this ain't giving em any more insight. Funny, i never sign up to anything with my google account, when doing this whats the point of not?

Edited by plenzmd1