The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

From the press briefing below:

• The risk to the American public is low.
  • Due to the current unknowns of this coronavirus and to mitigate the overall risk, the US has also declared a public health emergency.
  • Beginning Sunday 5PM eastern, any US citizen who has been in the Hubei province (the epicenter) in China during the previous 14 days, will be subject to 14 days of a mandatory quarantine.
  • Beginning Sunday 5PM eastern, any US citizen who has been in the rest of mainland China during the previous 14 days, will be screened ("at select ports of entry"...so not everyone?) and will then be subject to a "monitored" self quarantine up to 14 days.
  • A presidential proclamation has been signed which will temporarily suspend foreign nationals entry into the US (other than immediately family of residents or permanent residents) who have traveled in China in the last 14 days will be denied entry to the US.

Edited to Add:

• Flights incoming from China will be funneled through 7 airports: JFK, O'Hare, San Fran, Seattle, Atlanta, LAX, Honolulu.
  • The mandatory quarantine will be served at specific facilities, which haven't yet been announced.
  • It was mentioned that it has been seen that an individual can have a detectable virus, then not have a detectable virus, then once again have a detectable virus.
  • The current testing is not "horrible", but it is far from 100%.

Edited by Hedge
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Best thing we ever did in our house was remove virtually all processed foods from our intake. By this time next year we should be close to raising and harvesting most of our own food on our property.

Stop eating processed foods, people. They're horrifically bad for you.

That is why I still like Oregon. Halibut, salmon, crab, albacore...and I could probably tell you what side of the mouth they were hooked on.
Well maybe not the crab.

Edited by Uncle Joe

25 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

That is why I still like Oregon. Halibut, salmon, crab, albacore...and I could probably tell you what side of the mouth they were hooked on.
Well maybe not the crab.

Ummm. Great food. I used to get Abalone when I lived in CA which was my favorite dish. A little community just south of Santa Barbara had a restaurant that sold Scalone Sandwiches which was a blend of scallops and abalone made up in a patty like crab cakes. Outstanding. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

So, apparently flights to Hong Kong are selling for about $200 per person (down from ~$1,200), with only a minimal 6 hour layover in Wuhan.

Hell, I got an offer for a round trip first class flight to Wuhan from John Wayne Airport with a 10 day cruise up the Yangtze River for $199. It includes a bat meat and rat buffet.  

7 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Hell, I got an offer for a round trip first class flight to Wuhan from John Wayne Airport with a 10 day cruise up the Yangtze River for $199. It includes a bat meat and rat buffet.  

can we all chip in to get one ticket for @Tiberius? he is going to need one after the meltdown of Trumps acquittal.

7 hours ago, B-Man said:

VIDEO: Endless queues emerge as Hong Kongers race to stock up on masks and sanitizer.

We don’t have enough face masks. 

Too many things run on just-in-time inventory systems. That’s fine when things go well, but not when things are rotten. Systems that are important when things are rotten should have robust stockpiles of necessities.

But, but, but....facemasks were outlawed in Hong Kong.

21 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Ummm. Great food. I used to get Abalone when I lived in CA which was my favorite dish. A little community just south of Santa Barbara had a restaurant that sold Scalone Sandwiches which was a blend of scallops and abalone made up in a patty like crab cakes. Outstanding. 

...Seattle software conference visit....smoked salmon....fresh Alaskan halibut filet....Washington State Cabernet....who the hell needs Heaven (I'm barred anyhow)?.........