The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Just now, /dev/null said:

Agreed the politically engaged right was going to vote for Trump.  But a chunk of the less engaged and swing voters were either going to sit it out or vote for a 3rd party.  Until the deplorables moment

I actually think the Comey reopening of the Hillary case had more of a swing with malleable voters as a large reason those state polls were off was most of the undecideds in the final polls went to Trump.  I remember my wife saying something along the lines of "She is really corrupt.  Isn't she" after the Comey announcement.  Unfortunately, we'll never really know.  It was the most interesting election in my lifetime though.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I actually think the Comey reopening of the Hillary case had more of a swing with malleable voters as a large reason those state polls were off was most of the undecideds in the final polls went to Trump.  I remember my wife saying something along the lines of "She is really corrupt.  Isn't she" after the Comey announcement.  Unfortunately, we'll never really know.  It was the most interesting election in my lifetime though.

Don't believe you are correct on that, but it is possible.

But Clinton and her sycophants have only themselves to blame for that if you are right.  Because if the polls hadn't all been cooked to make her coronation look inevitable, that craven coward Comey never would've had the balls to announce that at the time.  

He, like everybody else, was sure she'd win, so announcing the e-mail investigation when he did would allow her and her allies to sweep it under the rug were the Republicans to have held the House and try to investigate that matter themselves.  His expediency may have cost her though that is highly debatable, but it wasn't nearly as harmful to her as her prior 24 years in the public eye which the deplorable comment clearly confirmed - she is a horrible, spiteful, selfish person who only cares about herself and POSSIBLY Chelsea; and rather than look out for the little guy like the D's all try to claim they do, she clearly looks down on them.  Why anybody would want to vote for that is truly puzzling.  Obviously a lot of people did vote for her, but she so clearly doesn't give a darn, it just becomes hard to see how they buy into her.

Edited by Taro T

3 hours ago, ALF said:

A deadly virus is spreading from state to state and has infected 15 million Americans so far. It's influenza

The 2019-2020 flu season is projected to be one of the worst in a decade, according to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. At least 140,000 people have been hospitalized with complications from the flu, and that number is predicted to climb as flu activity swirls.

In the 2019-2020 season so far, 15 million people in the US have gotten the flu and 8,200 people have died from it, including at least 54 children. Flu activity has been elevated for 11 weeks straight, the CDC reported, and will likely continue for the next several weeks.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/30/health/flu-deadly-virus-15-million-infected-trnd/index.html

Pfft. Flu pandemics are sooo 1918. Get with the 21st century.

10 hours ago, Hedge said:

At conservative estimates, if the trend holds, the number of confirmed cases would be around 20K by the end of our weekend, with 400-500 deaths, which is still a mortality rate of around 2%. It would also appear that the rise in international cases are not close to the growth seen in China (and still no international deaths), which is very positive, so far.

A 6th case has been confirmed in the US, in Chicago. This was the first case of human to human transmission (all others had come from China). It was the spouse of the other infected person in Chicago, so they had more than just passing contact.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some updated numbers, as I was putting this together:

image.thumb.png.d4f42c1e667fdb7b64447ffd2c0500f7.png

Not a trustworthy source among them. All have an extensive history of bull$hite. Especially the UN, CNN, Reuters,WHO. To be fair I've never heard of BMO

46 minutes ago, Dante said:

Not a trustworthy source among them. All have an extensive history of bull$hite. Especially the UN, CNN, Reuters,WHO. To be fair I've never heard of BMO

Uh, you can verify all of those stories and statistics with multiple outlets. But don't let that stop you from smearing schitt all over the walls...

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Hedge said:

Uh, you can verify all of those stories and statistics with multiple outlets. But don't let that stop you from smearing schitt all over the walls...

Pattern awareness. It's all about that. Same shite repeated over an over an over again. Personally I find it funny that sheeple keep buying in. I don't care about stats or the number of outlets. Stats can be fabricated just like anything else. All fake. 

13 minutes ago, Nanker said:

2.3% death rate from the Wuhan bug. 

80,000 Americans died from flu in 2018

1,800 died last year

Perspective people. 

I don't think anyone in the thread is panicking. It's just something to be aware of.

From what I have posted, I have very pointedly avoided posting any videos from inside China that would stoke fears (and there are plenty of them out there). More than likely the numbers that are officially coming out of China are being understated, perhaps severely, but personally, I don't think we will get anywhere close to that point in the US.

Also,  some perspective on your perspective. The 80K number was revised downward to 61K deaths. 

As can be seen here: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018.htm

This was the original estimate that your 80k article more than likely referenced: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018/archive.htm

And it was estimated that 45 million people had influenza, which would be a 0.14% mortality rate.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

VIDEO: Endless queues emerge as Hong Kongers race to stock up on masks and sanitizer.

We don’t have enough face masks. 

Too many things run on just-in-time inventory systems. That’s fine when things go well, but not when things are rotten. Systems that are important when things are rotten should have robust stockpiles of necessities.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Keep buying cheap substandard Chinese produce, meats and processed foods at discount dollar stores.

Sooner or later the source of some U.S. outbreak will be tied to them.

Their stuff comes in so fast by the tons, no way the all that stuff is checked out here.

Soylent Yellow.

Best thing we ever did in our house was remove virtually all processed foods from our intake. By this time next year we should be close to raising and harvesting most of our own food on our property.

Stop eating processed foods, people. They're horrifically bad for you.

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Hedge said:

I don't think anyone in the thread is panicking. It's just something to be aware of.

From what I have posted, I have very pointedly avoided posting any videos from inside China that would stoke fears (and there are plenty of them out there). More than likely the numbers that are officially coming out of China are being understated, perhaps severely, but personally, I don't think we will get anywhere close to that point in the US.

Also,  some perspective on your perspective. The 80K number was revised downward to 61K deaths. 

As can be seen here: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018.htm

This was the original estimate that your 80k article more than likely referenced: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018/archive.htm

And it was estimated that 45 million people had influenza, which would be a 0.14% mortality rate.

Agreed. I appreciate your efforts in keeping us informed. It seems like a nasty bug, and hopefully the full force efforts in place can keep it under control till it burns itself out.

Just don't go to China now. We went a couple of years ago and were in Wuhan for a day. It's a pretty city. Sucks to be there now though.

13 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Best thing we ever did in our house was remove virtually all processed foods from our intake. By this time next year we should be close to raising and harvesting most of our own food on our property.

Stop eating processed foods, people. They're horrifically bad for you.

I don't know of a domestic source for black vinegar. It's a must for making a good dumpling sauce. ;-)

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T&C said:

On a side note, the DOW is down over 550 as of now, directly related to the virus.

I had no idea that my entire financial outlook would depend on what is going on in China at all times! 

1 hour ago, Hedge said:

I don't think anyone in the thread is panicking.

I'm panicking when I look at the Dow! 

54 minutes ago, B-Man said:

VIDEO: Endless queues emerge as Hong Kongers race to stock up on masks and sanitizer.

We don’t have enough face masks. 

Too many things run on just-in-time inventory systems. That’s fine when things go well, but not when things are rotten. Systems that are important when things are rotten should have robust stockpiles of necessities.

Do those things actually even work?

@bbb Yeah, I'm freaking a bit too. But, China is basically closed... no flights, ports don't want to accept ships from them, etc. A ***** mess. And... lives are being lost. Right now its a no win situation.

Down over 600 as of now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, bbb said:

I had no idea that my entire financial outlook would depend on what is going on in China at all times! 

I'm panicking when I look at the Dow! 

Do those things actually even work?

Yes, to a point.

Washing your hands with soap and water is essential.

Purell is NOT great for protecting against some bugs.

Cover your cough and sneeze! 

Don't go to China right now.

• Thank you (+1) 1