The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

The numbers were wrong, Tibs because they had social distancing baked into them. Its looking pretty clear that the lockdowns were somewhat unnecessary . Sweden never locked down, for example. The numbers suggest that those who are most vulnerable and have underlying health conditions should avoid crowds and close contact with a lot of people. That would include older Americans. Hypertension and diabetes are going to lead to bad outcomes with covid 19. Keeping business shuttered and preventing otherwise healthy Americans from earning a living is probably a massive government overreach in this case. Yes, a lot more people are going to be infected with cornavirus and its not going away. Its not a reason to close an entire country for much longer. Certainly not indefinitely or until all risk of Covid19 for everyone is gone, as the far lefties seem to want.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

Amen brother. I can work at home indefinitely, but the economy can't take it and really, I want my daughter to have some time with her school friends and a start to her first college year at college, though I am definitely concerned that may not happen at this point. 

Fortunately for me, I work from home normally, so it isn't much different for me - although, my work has slowed considerably. My wife, on the other hand, was forced to shut down her business almost five weeks ago now. My kids are all grown and leading lives of their own and, thankfully, haven't been terribly affected. My oldest daughter and her husband have their own graphic art design business in Philadelphia and have continued to work from home. My younger daughter and her husband are organic farmers and almost completely self sufficient. My son is an attorney in Houston and has continued working from home.

Like I said, I am thankful they are safe and not too adversley affected economically. But I have a number of friends that are in danger of losing their business or in danger of losing their jobs permanently.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BillStime said:

OT  -  Random question - what network are you folks going to watch the draft on tonight?  And do you think there is any chance McBeane trades into the first round?

Probably ESPN. I don't think he will try to move back into the first round; however, I think he might move up in a couple subsequent rounds.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Cinga said:

The entire state is estimated to be 2,700,000 have had it which knocks NYS mortality rate down to .005%

And you don't get to herd immunity by locking people up!

Pretty sure you meant 0.5% not 0.005%

0.005% of 2.7M  is only 135 people.   Over 500 died just today according to worldometers.

Also, I get a value more like 0.8%     20861 / 2700000 = 0.77269....

Trump:
Chatting out the money for the paycheck protection program (right now, the House is voting on a rule suspension)
Speaking about colleges sending back money (specifically Harvard)
Rapid decline in new cases
46 states report a drop in symptoms

Scientists have released a temperature report... virus does better in cooler temperatures, less well in humid,warmer climates. (Guy will be up later to discuss this)

"Very close" to a vaccine (testing will take a while)

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

You know, day after day I listen to this, and the logistics of what has happened in the last 4-6 weeks is simply amazing.

Trump:
Expanded access program for transfusions (3K people in it).
Convalescent plasma will be used for a concentrated antibody treatment that does not have to be matched to blood type. Clinical trials will begin soon.

AI experts are scanning the data of the 52K papers on COVID-19.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Only, if only, the lot of you followed your own advice.

Why the hell do you think anyone who isn't a Sean Hannity watching partisan kool-aid drinker would come and waste their time reading and posting here if that weren't so? I give these posters credit for even sticking around with some of the crap that gets flung every day. Respect begets respect. If you bag on peaple who differ from you and give them a hard time, they're generally gonna give it right back.

I've been here long enough to know how it works. No mods and anything goes. Personally, I'm generally respectful and try to give consideration to other peaples' views, unless they happen to be completely batschitt crazy. I've found, generally speaking, that that attitude is returned - except for @4merper4mer who always reminds me I'm bald. He's a dick.

• Haha (+1) 2

Pence:
Task force met today.
Data shows promising signs of process. Naming the big cities, pass their peak. Decline  in hospitalizations.
Back on to guidelines.
Hoping that by summer much of this will be behind us.
Ben Carson of HUD will be refocusing a council for the impact on COVID-19 on minorities.
Bill Bryan (homeland security) will be coming up with the impact of heat and sunlight on coronavirus.
Governor call tomorrow. Listing how, after the call on Monday, how many more people are able to be tested daily in each state.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Pence: the $75B in the new bill to help hospitals. Encouraging states to restart elective surgeries, either across the state or county-by-county, where possible.
Task force received state reopening plans, 16 states have given them formal plans.

Bill Bryan, Senior Official Performing the Duties of the Under Secretary for Science and Technology  - study
Working on R&D
Bio-defense analysis center (Fredrick MD), works with a buncha agencies.
Emerging results trends (showing slides)
Solar light kills it in the air and on surfaces. (Gotta find this slide for accuracy)
Sun + 80& humidity + temp over 70, dies on surface in 2 minutes (half life)
Aerosol - they are suspending the virus to include sunlight. Working with John Hopkins.
* does not survive well in droplets or saliva in sunlight + 20% humidity + solar it dies fast.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 2

FIND THIS GUY'S CLIP!!

Bleach kills it in 5 minutes, isopropyl alcohol kills in in 30 seconds

Trump - asking about hitting the body with a light, or inside the body with a light. They will be testing that.  Trump also asking about disinfectant in the lungs. The guy said they will be testing that.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1