The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

16 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

So, the only numbers you question, regarding the virus, are those that might be good news?

Not questioning the numbers.  Pointing out that they don't paint a complete picture of the exposure/antibody/immunity issue and should be accepted with guarded optimism. 

13 minutes ago, Albwan said:

funny...right people say Obama, lefties screech "WHATABOUTISM", perfectly 

fine tho for the over inflated sense of self important chicken little crowd.

Comments like this are going to get you on the snowflake list. 

24 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Were you similarly offended when a Republican screamed liar at Obama or when Jan Brewer wiggled her finger at Obama, or is this one of those one-way streets?? 

True, nobody has taken off both shoes and thrown them at this president while he's at the podium. Yet...

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Listen, I am what most here would call on addled with TDS. Having said that, why in Gods green earth would you believe one thing that comes out of the WHO. They just incorrectly posted crap about Remisvider(sp) from the Chinese, which knowledgable people are knocking down all over the place.

I will trust Cramer and his sources 1000% over the WHO

THEY KNOW NOTHING

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

So this Kung-Flu is an extremely contagious coronavirus with a fatality rate probably somewhere just above that of influenza. Also with a high percentage of completely asymptomatic people, though I have no idea how many are asymptomatic with seasonal flu. 

Covid-19 also takes a lot more for many to recover from (see the health system in NYC). So there are quite a few important differences. That said, if we are looking at 0.5% mortality, that would be really good news. The rate limiter on being something like normal in the fall would be what % of people who get it end up in a hospital, because at 0.5%, and smart conduct for us all and social distancing for the most vulnerable, we could probably stomach the deaths without shutting down the economy a second time.

My current senior who is missing all her senior year stuff would really like this to happen so she can be a true college freshman this fall, and not be staring at remote learning.  For anyone with college kids, I'd encourage a listen to this optimistic take by the Chief Health Officer for the University of Michigan:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0rpFb8ZzIS4FbYxDAACCWx?si=tHMsUKRLTOGsiCZNdfhT9g

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm guessing based off the limited studies that....

1.) A lot of people have/had it without symptoms making the death rate anywhere from .1 to .8%.

2.)  It's extremely contagious which explains the remarkable number of deaths in a short period of time.

3.)  Herd immunity will happen before any type of vaccine is mass produced.

I completely agree with all of those things (I'm not ascribing to the math, but I share the view that the death rate is lower than now believed to be).  I still believe in proceeding cautiously because of the unknown, e.g., whether there is immunity and whether the test numbers are accurate.  A sewage study of and in the tested areas might be a good idea. 

1 minute ago, Warren Zevon said:

Time for a #MAGA protest in Chicago

Pritzker is going to have a revolt on his hands if he doesn't at least loosen some of the restrictions before the end of May and rightfully so.   There is no reason why outdoor activities such as golf, tennis and outdoor work activities can't resume.  If Grocery retailers and others can operate with reduced customer population and cleanliness practices, then so too should all retailers.  We can't let nursing homes and their problems run the rest of the state. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gary M said:

You racists thief, that's my line.

the left has nothing of their own, outside of 'orangemanbad'

I almost spit milk out my nose when c3tibsgaryzevon or whomever wrote in a post

that a right leaning poster was a snowflake who was triggered.

LOL.

Edited by Albwan
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Pritzker is going to have a revolt on his hands if he doesn't at least loosen some of the restrictions before the end of May and rightfully so.   There is no reason why outdoor activities such as golf, tennis and outdoor work activities can't resume.  If Grocery retailers and others can operate with reduced customer population and cleanliness practices, then so too should all retailers.  We can't let nursing homes and their problems run the rest of the state. 

If antibody testing is accurate, there is no reason for any of it at this point.

• Thank you (+1) 1