The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 minute ago, Gary Busey said:

Checked "billsfan1959 posts his favorite chart again" off today's bingo board

I’ve been going to a running ticker on a site called Worldometers every day. They have daily updates for each country, and then again for each State. The state by state tally is very informative. Both the cases and the deaths are very much so focused on the geographically tiny NYC Metro area. The other areas of the country are a not even a distant second. California has a grand total of 350 deaths over two months!

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

Where are the data from the other North American countries that the United States shares borders with?

If you are so curious, why don't you look them up and post them?

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve been going to a running ticker on a site called Worldometers every day. They have daily updates for each country, and then again for each State. The state by state tally is very informative. Both the cases and the deaths are very much so focused on the geographically tiny NYC Metro area. The other areas of the country are a not even a distant second. California has a grand total of 350 deaths over two months!

Hey let's not look at numbers when we can react with emotions! So say the folks who have been sceaming about predictive numbers for over a month.....

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Joe Biden: Trump is worst possible leader to deal with coronavirus outbreak   Jan 27 ,  2020   USA Today

President has blithely tweeted that 'it will all work out well.' Yet the steps he has taken have only weakened our capacity to respond.

To be blunt, I am concerned that the Trump administration’s shortsighted policies have left us unprepared for a dangerous epidemic that will come sooner or later.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/01/27/coronavirus-donald-trump-made-us-less-prepared-joe-biden-column/4581710002/

There's so much here to unpack from Biden's campaign pitch here, but he seems to compare the transmission potential of Covid wity that of Ebola.

Alf, do you see this as a valid comparison based on number of cases world wide, the information available and transmission rates worldwide?  

Joe points to the Trump's failure to lead an international response to the virus, mocks walls and barriers in the fight against Covif, yet in retrospect shutting down travel to/from seems to be widely accepted as a means to combatting the spread.  Joe is also on record as to encouraging people to get out, congregate and visit public places. 

Alf, given Joe's past experience with Ebola, did his actions conflict with his messaging from this opinion piece?  Was he on the wrong side of the crisis, especially in light of widely published recommendations to, in essence, create distance and shelter behind the walls of one's own residence? 

He writes this:

The outbreak of a new coronavirus, which has already infected more than 2,700 people and killed over 80 in China, will get worse before it gets better. Cases have been confirmed in a dozen countries, with at least five in the United States. There will likely be more.

Joe's questionable ties to China notwithstanding, he's campaigned on his strong ties to world leaders, his perception that hes viewed as a strong world leader by other leaders of nations.   He bragged about getting things accomplished in. While he mixed up the name of the leader from China that he worked with, his point was clear: I know these people, they know and work with me, I'm the man. 

Alf, 2700 infections and 80 deaths in China are of end of January, 2020?  Does that sound right to you?  Do these remarks leave you wondering of Joe has any connections, juice or fire power if this is truly what he thought at that time?  Was he taken advantage of, relying on data he had access to given his relationship with Chinese leaders?  Did he believe the lie, or simply perpetuate it for political expedience?  

I'd appreciate some feedback, because this piece by Joe looks very weak in retrospect. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

Where are the data from the other North American countries that the United States shares borders with?

If you factor out NYC then Canada’s numbers are very similar to the US. (Although I’m not sure why so many Chinese would be flying into Canada in January.) Mexico is pretty low and I believe it’s because it’s probably not a big tourist destination for the Chinese.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

If you factor out NYC then Canada’s numbers are very similar to the US. (Although I’m not sure why so many Chinese would be flying into Canada in January.) Mexico is pretty low and I believe it’s because it’s probably not a big tourist destination for the Chinese.

If you take away all the dead people, nobody died. 

If you take away the Bills super bowl losses, we are 4-0! 

Edited by Q-baby!

7 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

It's like Trump has ESP. Time and time again he makes fools of these people who all think they're smarter than him.

I’ve found a great way to negotiate or to win over prospects is only ask questions you already know the answer to. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Math and science must’ve been tough subjects for you. 

Why waste your time responding to a poster whose two primary contributions to this thread have been his paraphilic like fascination with ball licking, and hoping for people to die so Trump won't be reelected?

2 hours ago, ALF said:

Navarro memos warning of mass coronavirus death circulated in January

In late January, President Trump's economic adviser Peter Navarro warned his White House colleagues the novel coronavirus could take more than half a million American lives and cost close to $6 trillion, according to memos obtained by Axios.

Navarro's grim estimates are set out in two memos — one dated Jan. 29 and addressed to the National Security Council, the other dated Feb. 23 and addressed to the president. The NSC circulated both memos around the White House and multiple agencie

The "naivete, arrogance and ignorance" of White House advisers who disagreed with Navarro "put the country and the world in jeopardy," Bannon said, adding that Navarro was sidelined from the task force after the memo.

The Jan 29 memo set out two stark choices "Aggressive Containment versus No Containment."

Navarro compared cost estimates for the choices and wrote that the Council of Economic Advisers' estimates for stopping travel from China to the U.S. would be $2.9 billion per month. If the virus turned out to be a pandemic, that travel ban could extend 12 months and cost the U.S. $34.6 billion.

Doing nothing (the "No Containment" option) could range from "zero economic costs" to $5.7 trillion depending on the lethality of the virus.

On the high end, he estimated a scenario in which the coronavirus could kill 543,000 Americans.

https://www.axios.com/exclusive-navarro-deaths-coronavirus-memos-january-da3f08fb-dce1-4f69-89b5-ea048f8382a9.html

Wow , if only they took Peter Navarro serious back then

The way Navarro handled the trade deals and everything else I have seen from him impresses the hell out of me.   

Very valuable asset to the administration 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Why waste your time responding to a poster whose two primary contributions to this thread have been his paraphilic like fascination with ball licking, and hoping for people to die so Trump won't be reelected?

Show me where I said that liar. 

4 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

Show me where I said that liar. 

It's easy to quote things idiots on this board have said - like the mega-creep below. I would not want him around any children.

10 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Golf clap or at least some kind of clap. I don't know Doc, I've only been with a Disney child star. 

Edited by Gary Busey
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gary Busey said:

It's easy to quote things idiots on this board have said - like the mega-creep below. I would not want him around any children.

Probably hung out with Dr.Trump and his pedo friends. 

11 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The evidence that social distancing worked is evident in the numbers -- the ones that are showing you were waaaaaay off with your projections/fear-mongering. That you want to ignore them is no surprise, but it's not really honest. 

Well, we're at day 77 since the first confirmed case, and we have confirmed that 0.1% of the US population has it. But, you know, if 60% of the US has it and the mortality rate is 2% then 4 million people will die.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Well, we're at day 77 since the first confirmed case, and we have confirmed that 0.1% of the US population has it. But, you know, if 60% of the US has it and the mortality rate is 2% then 4 million people will die.

Shhhhh....we're not allowed to talk about numbers now. "Emotions," that is the word for today...

8 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Shhhhh....we're not allowed to talk about numbers now. "Emotions," that is the word for today...

We can take it a step further too. Let's assume that everyone tested was showing symptoms and only 20% of people show symptoms. That'd push the number to a whopping 0.5% of the population, and it would push the mortality rate down to 0.6%.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

Reality is tough for you. You can’t “take away” NYC. Stupid comment. 

After all this time and discussion you still don’t know how this virus works or spreads or where it came from...do you? It’s just way easier to be hysterical. It’s an odd way to look at your world, but you and my nutty sister in law would be great friends.