The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

21 minutes ago, shoshin said:

No. This wave is mostly headed the right direction now. Peaking but trending right. 

What happens when we reopen is unknown but you can put away the doom and gloom for this wave heading way up. The distancing is working. 

It's working where it's being practised. 

Unfortunately that's not happening everywhere. 

Some stats still have very relaxed are no lock down measures at all. 

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

It's working where it's being practised. 

Unfortunately that's not happening everywhere. 

Some stats still have very relaxed are no lock down measures at all. 

Less than 10. All with tiny populations. 

(but don't let details get in the way of the fear spiral you're still mired in)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, CarpetCrawler said:

And now he's pushing hydroxychloroquine because he must be profiting off of it somehow, just follow the money.

Well, I've always said that the morons on the left would complain if he cured cancer. Here's proof that TDS 'trumps' everything.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

And every single one of those 10 states are not showing a hint of breaking out.

Again, national media hysteria.

They could break out, but there is no evidence of it. 

I don’t blame JRober, he just listens to what the media says and does what most people do which is accept it.    Sometimes there has to be some additional research and a slight bit of critical thinking to come to a more accurate conclusion.  

This why the media is so destructive, they know that most people are like JRober, tibs and transplant.  People who will by default accept what they are feeding them

• Like (+1) 5

37 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I dunno. 

The lag makes it hard to predict anything. 

I assume many places are still 3-4 weeks from getting hammered. 

Maybe in a month 10,000 deaths in a week doesn't look that bad. 

Actually the lag does not make it hard to predict, because today's infections and hospitalizations guide next week's mortality.   The last 7-day total is 7,500.  New cases and admissions are hitting a peak, meaning that we may not even hit 10,000 over the next week, and it will continue to decline.

Bottom line is that the shutdown 3 weeks ago worked.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

43 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Posting for the clip, because it was devastating to the media talking point they pushed all day. Gotta ask why the reporters didn't find this information out first before running with it... they could have called the Admiral. But, that would be doing actual journalism rather than what they're truly engaged in... 

If this isn’t definitive proof of yet another example of the failures of US journalism.  It’s sad.  It truly is sad.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

And every single one of those 10 states are not showing a hint of breaking out.

Again, national media hysteria.

They could break out, but there is no evidence of it. 

I don’t blame JRober, he just listens to what the media says and does what most people do which is accept it.    Sometimes there has to be some additional research and a slight bit of critical thinking to come to a more accurate conclusion.  

This why the media is so destructive, they know that most people are like JRober, tibs and transplant.  People who will by default accept what they are feeding them

It decimated tiny villages in Northern Italy but it's not going to hit South Carolina?

I sincerely hope you're right. I would just choose to err on the side of caution. Plan for the worst. 

With evidence showing that social distancing does work, I don't understand why anyone would risk it if there's a working strategy that can really help eliminate the chance that it does hit hard.

I have a friend who works at a hospital in London. He says they're a day away from being at capacity in their ICU. They've stopped hooking up anyone over the age of 70 to a ventilator because they think it's a waste of resources. 

The US has the highest number of ventilators per capita in the world, but most are located in urban centres. It's the rural areas with limited resources that aren't equipped to handle this, which is why I think they should be taking every precaution possible. 

Just my two cents. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

It decimated tiny villages in Northern Italy but it's not going to hit South Carolina?

I sincerely hope you're right. I would just choose to err on the side of caution. Plan for the worst. 

With evidence showing that social distancing does work,....

The evidence that social distancing worked is evident in the numbers -- the ones that are showing you were waaaaaay off with your projections/fear-mongering. That you want to ignore them is no surprise, but it's not really honest. 

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

With evidence showing that social distancing does work, I don't understand why anyone would risk it if there's a working strategy that can really help eliminate the chance that it does hit hard.

I have a friend who works at a hospital in London. He says they're a day away from being at capacity in their ICU. They've stopped hooking up anyone over the age of 70 to a ventilator because they think it's a waste of resources. 

The US has the highest number of ventilators per capita in the world, but most are located in urban centres. It's the rural areas with limited resources that aren't equipped to handle this, which is why I think they should be taking every precaution possible. 

Just my two cents. 

Why didn't it decimate tiny villages in Tuscany or Campania, etc ? 

58 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Here in South Carolina our governor has been very reluctant to issue a “stay at home” order. He finally (sort of) issued one today, although he still is choosing to call it a “home or work” order. However, if you look at the actual measures that have been place already for days or weeks regarding social distancing, working from home, and closures of nonessential businesses they’re virtually the same as what’s in place in many states that chose to call it a stay at home order sooner. In some ways we’ve actually been under more restriction than the hardest hit states. For example, state parks were closed a couple weeks ago, but they’re still open in NY.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

It's the rural areas with limited resources that aren't equipped to handle this,

trust me, respirators are coming quickly to those areas, and they could be battery operated

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Just my two cents. 

Could South Carolina breakout? Sure

But I don’t think it’s likely. 98% of the cases in the US have been in the urban areas.   There has been one breakout in Idaho that has been bad on a per Capita basis but it’s still a small number in the whole scheme of things and it’s showing signs of getting under control.

Rural areas have huge advantages for breakout mitigation efforts.  The obvious advantage is that there is low population density not to mention contact tracing is infinitely easier in rural areas than high density population zones.

Outside of Spartanburg, Greenville, Columbia and Charleston SC is largely rural.  And those aren’t that high density areas either.  

And even though there is a large African American older population who have poor health which puts them at a higher risk level, I just don’t see there being a state wide outbreak.  There could be a community or two but even if that occurs it’s still going to be a minuscule number in comparison to the larger states.

I could be way off but I just don’t see it

Also, I want to say this.  There seems to be this perception which is propagated by the media that the states that don’t have these statewide shut downs that everyone There that people are just going about life like usual.  That’s nonsense.   This is the #1 Story on the planet, they are well aware of what is going on and people are largely practicing social distancing actions.  

I just don’t see any really high numbers coming out of these 10 states.  

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Just my two cents. 

You predicted the hospitals would be overwhelmed and people would be dying on gurneys in the hallways when it hit here. There hasn’t been, nor will there be, instances of people not getting a bed in ICU or ventilators if needed.

• Thank you (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Magox said:

Could South Carolina breakout? Sure

But I don’t think it’s likely. 98% of the cases in the US have been in the urban areas.   There has been one breakout in Idaho that has been bad on a per Capita basis but it’s still a small number in the whole scheme of things and it’s showing signs of getting under control.

Rural areas have huge advantages for breakout mitigation efforts.  The obvious advantage is that there is low population density not to mention contact tracing is infinitely easier in rural areas than high density population zones.

Outside of Spartanburg, Greenville, Columbia and Charleston SC is largely rural.  And those aren’t that high density areas either.  

And even though there is a large African American older population who have poor health which puts them at a higher risk level, I just don’t see there being a state wide outbreak.  There could be a community or two but even if that occurs it’s still going to be a minuscule number in comparison to the larger states.

I could be way off but I just don’t see it

Also, I want to say this.  There seems to be this perception which is propagated by the media that the states that don’t have these statewide shut downs that everyone There that people are just going about life like usual.  That’s nonsense.   This is the #1 Story on the planet, they are well aware of what is going on and people are largely practicing social distancing actions.  

I just don’t see any really high numbers coming out of these 10 states.  

In South Carolina the first case was in Kershaw county, which has a total population of about 60,000. It also happens to be the county I work in, and borders Richland county, which is the county I live in and where Columbia is. For a while Kershaw was leading the statewide case count by county  before being overtaken by Richland, Charleston, and Greenville. As of now total confirmed cases for the state are about 2300, about half of which are in the 4 counties I mentioned. 

Edited by Chandemonium
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

You predicted the hospitals would be overwhelmed and people would be dying on gurneys in the hallways when it hit here. There hasn’t been, nor will there be, instances of people not getting a bed in ICU or ventilators if needed.

He's more of a glass half empty kind of guy.  Historically, virus outbreaks have been overestimated mostly because you don't want to be the guy that underestimated how many people would die.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chandemonium said:

In South Carolina the first case was in Kershaw county, which has a total population of about 60,000. It also happens to be the county I work in, and borders Richland county, which is the county I live in and where Columbia is. For a while Kershaw was leading the statewide case count, by county  before being overtaken by Richland, Charleston, and Greenville. As of now total confirmed cases for the state are about 2300, about half of which are in the 4 counties I mentioned. 

Not surprising, it’s the most populous area of the state.  What are you seeing?  In regards to traffic and restaurants etc?