The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

As coronavirus ran rampant and record jobless numbers piled up, the nation’s health insurers last week readied for a major announcement: The Trump administration was reopening Obamacare to millions of newly uninsured Americans.

It was an announcement that never came.

The White House instead rejected the prospect of allowing new sign-ups across the 38 Affordable Care Act marketplaces it controls – a decision that shocked the health care industry, triggered widespread criticism and prompted a scramble within the administration to find a new way to care for the growing population left exposed to the pandemic It's also one that allowed Trump to sidestep an awkward reckoning with the Affordable Care Act that he’s long vowed to kill, and the health care program bearing the name of his Democratic predecessor. The president personally opposed reopening the Obamacare marketplaces when presented with the option, one person familiar with the decision said – prompting the creation of a new initiative that federal officials are now rushing to construct.

“You have a perfectly good answer in front of you, and instead you’re going to make another one up,” said one Republican close to the administration. “It’s purely ideological.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/03/trump-obamacare-coronavirus-164285 

And they are trying to use the Supreme Court to kill health care for 30 million people during a pandemic! Think about that! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

I don’t blame Cuomo for taking those actions.

Dire times call for dire measures and Cuomo should do whoever he can do to help solve this issue that is within his legal powers.

Yes. This is a NYC problem and not so much elsewhere in NY or the US yet. They need the resources if they are not in use. There is a lot of whining about taking things for NYC but NYC is part of this country and it needs our help. If we can help, that’s what we do. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Magox said:

I don’t blame Cuomo for taking those actions.

Dire times call for dire measures and Cuomo should do whoever he can do to help solve this issue that is within his legal powers.

It is actually the way it should be working in a crisis. Right now, medical supplies, personnel, and equipment should be diverted from areas that don't have the immediate need to areas that do have immediate need (Karl Marx would be proud of me right now). All areas of the country are not being affected at the same rate or in the same magnitude. We are continuing to produce equipment and supplies that can replenish what is diverted.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, GG said:

It's a recommendation to use common sense. Even if you are in a rural area you should use a mask if you are around other people.  You don't need to use it at home or in your car.  

I disagree.  More than half the counties in my state have 2 or less cases.  Wearing a mask in grocery stores in most of the country is absurd and I guarantee very few people will do it.  Those masks should be used by people who need them, like employees and residents of senior care facilities.  

1 minute ago, Troll Toll said:

Nice, Cuomo is giving us upstaters COVID infected patients and taking our ventilators. Brilliant!

Historical analogy. At the Battle of Antietam, General Lee possessed the interior lines of defense and was able to allocate resources (troops, cannon) to the points where Gen. McClellan was attacking. Lee had fewer troops, but he was able to survive because he could put the troops where they needed to be and let the areas of the field that were not under attack be relatively undefended. Cuomo and the country need to do the same thing with ventilators 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Yes. This is a NYC problem and not so much elsewhere in NY or the US yet. They need the resources if they are not in use. There is a lot of whining about taking things for NYC but NYC is part of this country and it needs our help. If we can help, that’s what we do. 

Doesn’t anyone see the irony in Cuomo being praised for pushing a NY First agenda while Trump is slammed for pushing an America First agenda? Both these guys are doing exactly what they’re elected to do....fight for their constituents. It’s doesn’t make them either heroes or villains. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, mannc said:

I disagree.  More than half the counties in my state have 2 or less cases.  Wearing a mask in grocery stores in most of the country is absurd and I guarantee very few people will do it.  Those masks should be used by people who need them, like employees and residents of senior care facilities.  

To be fair, they pointed out homemade cloth masks will work. So, tie a bandana across your face.

bandana.jpg

Just now, mannc said:

If you want to keep the cases low you need to practice proper preventive protocols.  Look at what they do in Asia, where the contagion is basically stopped. 

In any event you shouldn't be wearing an N95 mask.  Planty of options, including home made versions. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

I usually go to the store to replenish on Fridays. I noticed a significant increase in masks yesterday. I'm still a non masker.

Just now, Tiberius said:

It's just a truth. The threat of lawsuits are a great motivator to fix things, make things safe and to take precautions 

I think that is generally true. However, in this case, I think it is primarily about keeping cashiers safer from the virus. They can't social distance.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

It's just a truth. The threat of lawsuits are a great motivator to fix things, make things safe and to take precautions 

They aren’t putting up shields at the grocery stores for fear of lawsuits!!! They’re putting them up before they see a mass walk out by minimum wage grocery checkers that will end up disrupting the very core of the Stay At Home the food chain. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I think that is generally true. However, in this case, I think it is primarily about keeping cashiers safer from the virus. They can't social distance.

Sure, but Wegmans doesn't want a worker to sue them after they get sick. 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

They aren’t putting up shields at the grocery stores for fear of lawsuits!!! They’re putting them up before they see a mass walk out by minimum wage grocery checkers that will end up disrupting the very core of the Stay At Home the food chain. 

That is true also 

5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

We went to Tops the other day. We chose the self-checkout to stay away from the cashiers. The front end manager asked us why we were not in a cashier line (we had a big cart). ?‍♂️ She was pretty insistent we move. We declined. (They had a lot of cashiers open, but self-checkout was pretty empty too.)

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Sure, but Wegmans doesn't want a worker to sue them after they get sick. 

Heaven knows, most decisions of this nature in our country are generally driven from a civil liability perspective. I honestly feel, in this particular instance, it really is about keeping workers safer. And, as @SoCal Deeksaid, a more motivating factor might be keeping the stores open - which is critical

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

We went to Tops the other day. We chose the self-checkout to stay away from the cashiers. The front end manager asked us why we were not in a cashier line (we had a big cart). ?‍♂️ She was pretty insistent we move. We declined. (They had a lot of cashiers open, but self-checkout was pretty empty too.)

Over the last week, I have been out to several grocery stores and the hardware store. There are shields up at every check out area. Before that, I was going through the self-checkout as well.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2

Oh sh it! If they can do it there...then it might happen here! ?

Corona beer has become a temporary victim of the coronavirus.

Grupo Modelo, the brewer behind Corona, Modelo and other beers, said in a statement on Thursday that it was suspending its beer production after the Mexican government ordered nonessential businesses to close in an attempt to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

The brewer, which is part of Anheuser-Busch InBev, said that should the federal government decide later that its product was essential, “at Grupo Modelo we are ready to execute a plan with more than 75 percent of our staff working from home and at the same time guaranteeing the supply of beer.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/business/coronavirus-corona-beer.html?action=click&module=Latest&pgtype=Homepage

17 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

That part is true, but it’s not why grocery stores are limiting the number of customers who can enter at any one time.

25 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Historical analogy. At the Battle of Antietam, General Lee possessed the interior lines of defense and was able to allocate resources (troops, cannon) to the points where Gen. McClellan was attacking. Lee had fewer troops, but he was able to survive because he could put the troops where they needed to be and let the areas of the field that were not under attack be relatively undefended. Cuomo and the country need to do the same thing with ventilators 

This is actually a good analogy. There are plenty of ventilators to handle the areas of immediate need. Tracking of data is pretty detailed right now, in terms of the next potential hot spots. Ventilators are being produced every day and can be distributed (along with those no longer needed in other areas) where they are going to be needed next

• Like (+1) 1