Jump to content
Hedge

The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, CarpetCrawler said:

I was tested. I got the prescription last Friday morning at 10am, was tested with no wait at all at a mega 12 lane parking lot testing center that was set up in the Lower Hudson Valley, and had my results 28 hours later.

I'm happy for you, honestly. Sadly many aren't having that experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

That scenario is outside of the scope of the reason for testing. I already laid out why you do it in my original post. Either read it or don't, but I'm not going to explain it all over again.

 

:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Because it could do more harm than benefit.

 

For at least 15 years, tuberculosis wast treated with gold.  It wasn't until a controlled double blind study that  streptomycin was found to be effective.  A subsequent study of gold found it ineffective.  In fact, gold treatment was poisoning people.

 

Its not as if HCQ is sitting in a huge stockpile waiting for a use.  It is used in the treatment of Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.  Directing large amounts of this drug to combat Covid-19 could deprive people who really need the drug for their conditions.

 

Has it shown much efficacy?  The only study I read said it reduced levels in nasal swabs int 6 of 20 people.  That same study had a higher mortality rate and a higher rate of people ending up in ICU.

 

Or it could do more good than harm.  Again both drugs have been around for decades.  Furthermore they wouldn't be taken for an extended period of time, when side effects tend to occur with HCQ.  I mean, all you have right now is supportive therapy which often times does nothing and the patient still dies. 

 

And yes there have been small studies and anecdotal reports of it working.  For about $30 in treatment, it's worth trying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Doc said:

 

Or it could do more good than harm.  Again both drugs have been around for decades.  Furthermore they wouldn't be taken for an extended period of time, when side effects tend to occur with HCQ.  I mean, all you have right now is supportive therapy which often times does nothing and the patient still dies. 

 

And yes there have been small studies and anecdotal reports of it working.  For about $30 in treatment, it's worth trying.

They likely will start doing that soon in compassionate care cases, but as with any drug you'll want to make sure it doesn't make people sicker that would probably pull through without it. Personally I'm in favor of being aggressive, and if I was in a bed I'd sign off as a guinea pig

Edited by BullBuchanan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a friend who lives in Yucaipa, which is essentially the Waterloo, NY of Southern CA.

 

Pretty much the entire nursing home there has the virus. They did 79 tests. Pretty much everyone, including staff, is sick.

 

In the process, I did find out how to motivate people to stay at home: let them know what happens to you if you die from this virus.

 

Apparently, no one in your family will ever see you again. There is no bedside vigil. There is no body in a casket. Once you're diagnosed, you're cut off from everyone. When you die, you're cremated. That's it.

 

So. Y'know. Stay home.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BullBuchanan said:

They likely will start doing that soon in compassionate care cases, but as with any drug you'll want to make sure it doesn't make people sicker that would probably pull through without it.

 

And how do you do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Doc said:

 

And how do you do that?

Through the same testing process they put any drug through?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

America now daily death at 1,041 as of right now (for new record daily deaths to covid19) . All those passed away RIP.  :( 

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Doc said:

 

Or it could do more good than harm.  Again both drugs have been around for decades.  Furthermore they wouldn't be taken for an extended period of time, when side effects tend to occur with HCQ.  I mean, all you have right now is supportive therapy which often times does nothing and the patient still dies. 

 

And yes there have been small studies and anecdotal reports of it working.  For about $30 in treatment, it's worth trying.

But it isn't a coin flip.  I think I read somewhere that only 25% of the phase 1 studies show positive results in phase 2.  This really didn't amount to a phase 1 study.

 

Compassionate use is going on now.  Real phase 1 studies are going on now.  Meanwhile, people who really have been using this drug for conditions where this drug has shown effectiveness are having difficulty getting their prescriptions filled, at least 2 people have OD on HCQ and one has died.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Through the same testing process they put any drug through?

 

That's not the question.  You were saying that you'd need to make sure the drugs didn't make people sicker that would probably pull through without it.  And again, these drugs have been around and used for decades now.

 

3 minutes ago, Scraps said:

But it isn't a coin flip.  I think I read somewhere that only 25% of the phase 1 studies show positive results in phase 2.  This really didn't amount to a phase 1 study.

 

Compassionate use is going on now.  Real phase 1 studies are going on now.  Meanwhile, people who really have been using this drug for conditions where this drug has shown effectiveness are having difficulty getting their prescriptions filled, at least 2 people have OD on HCQ and one has died.

 

So if it helps even 25% of people, isn't it worth it?  Versus waiting a year for Remdesivir?

 

And yes, it's unfortunate patients are having trouble getting it to manage their disease symptoms but even more unfortunate for people dying of Wuhan flu.  But you can OD and die on any drug, especially ones labelled "NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION."

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Doc said:

So if it helps even 25% of people, isn't it worth it?  Versus waiting a year for Remdesivir?

I didn't say that drugs that have gone through phase 1 testing only help 25% of the people in phase 2 testing.  Only 25% of the drugs that show some efficacy in phase 1 show that in a deeper phase 2 study.  That means 75% of the time the drug is similar or worse than no drug at all.  Meanwhile, you would deny those who need the drug for other illnesses their medication?

Edited by Scraps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm happy for you, honestly. Sadly many aren't having that experience.

Thanks, it wasn't difficult, I didn't have to beg or scream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:


I really hope a hard look is taken at the obamacare taxes (which made things like ventilators economically difficult to make here), as well as the regulations that are needlessly in place that prevent American ingenuity to shine. The last few weeks have reminded me of my youth when people were inventing things, producing things, and America generally was the place to be if you wanted to invent and manufacturer.

As I’ve said regarding health care in general, the government already runs health care. Nothing, or very little, happens outside of the regulations put in place at the state and federal level.  Its’s one of the great cons of the modern era. 
 

It must have been very cool for you when you saw Mr. Ford roll out that first Model T.  And it must have been a blast when they ended prohibition right before your Sweet 16 party! 🤓

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

As I’ve said regarding health care in general, the government already runs health care. Nothing, or very little, happens outside of the regulations put in place at the state and federal level.  Its’s one of the great cons of the modern era. 
 

It must have been very cool for you when you saw Mr. Ford roll out that first Model T.  And it must have been a blast when they ended prohibition right before your Sweet 16 party! 🤓


We did go to the Henry Ford & Thomas Edison museums in Ft Meyers last year. Closest I ever got to Mr. Ford (who died many years before I was even a twinkle in my father's eye). 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe if OAN was screaming stupid questions at the President, they'd be "good" press?
 

 

 

<_<
 

 

  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I didn't say that drugs that have gone through phase 1 testing only help 25% of the people in phase 2 testing.  Only 25% of the drugs that show some efficacy in phase 1 show that in a deeper phase 2 study.  That means 75% of the time the drug is similar or worse than no drug at all.  Meanwhile, you would deny those who need the drug for other illnesses their medication?

 

If it saves even 1 person?  In a heartbeat.  Again there is no current treatment for Wuhan flu.  A couple months (if even) of missing HCQ won't kill anyone and I'd bet, no I know, that if you had worsening SOB and were given the choice to take those meds and deny someone of theirs, you'd do it in a second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...