Jump to content
Hedge

The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

During the WHO briefing yesterday, an AP reporter asked Dr. Tedros about Trump. The day before, Tedros had tweeted praise for Trump's handling of the virus.

 

If you are interested, it is at about 56:20 of the video. I just love the question. So typical. Tedros couldn't have really meant what he said. My favorite part of the question is, even though Tedros hadn't expressed any concerns with the decisions Trump has made, the reporter basically asks, "How concerned are you?"


AP Reporter:  I just want to ask you, Dr. Tedros, the tweeting that you did yesterday, you were pretty praiseworthy of President Trumps efforts. I'm just wondering, you said that he's doing a great job.I'm just wondering, you know, that President Trump has, from the beginning, minimized the importance of this, at the very start, and is now talking about Churches that might be packed in the United States come Easter time. How concerned are you about some of the decisions he is making and do you really think he is doing a great job across the board?

 

Dr. Tedros: I stand by what I said.

 

Tedros then goes on to praise Trump for doing exactly what the WHO has outlined and been asking government leaders to be doing. He also praised the role of medical and scientific communities in the US in the response - you know, the people Trump never listens to according to our friends on the left.

 

One of his quotes: "President Trump's commitment, you have already seen it, the whole world has seen it, and that type of leadership is very, very important."

 

 

 

If things don’t crater here in the next month (spoiler alert: They won’t) I believe this crisis is Trump’s ticket back to the White House.

 

For the past four years, I’ve been virulently anti-Trump, despite my conservative tendencies, because of his narcissism and corruption.  The past few weeks have been eye-opening for me.  The herd mentality that has gripped the media and politicians has been shocking to me—the ready willingness to shutter the economy and institutions of individual states and the United States as a whole without serious consideration of the short and long-term cost of doing, and weighing that cost against the possibility that more targeted, conservative steps, adapted to particular localities might also work. And then there was the simpering rush to adopt as gospel the worst case scenarios and shout down (or worse) anyone who questioned them.

 

Against this background, Trump has been the only leader who has kept his head and pushed back against the doomsaying and the rush to abandon our entire economic, social and educational systems.  And the reaction to his courage and sound instincts has been nothing short of disgusting—literally calling him a mass-murderer, without any sound evidence (or should I say, contrary to the evidence?).  It’s hilarious watching the pundits cluelessly ponder the soaring approval rating for Trump’s handling of the crisis.  
 

The extreme reaction to his Easter comment was the tipping point for me.  What the hell is wrong with a leader saying “I hope we’re done with this nightmare in a few weeks”?  Can’t we assess the situation as we go, rather than closing everything indefinitely?

 

i still don’t think I can vote for Trump, but this has truly been an eye-opening experience.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Gary Busey said:

 

The instruction is to follow the CDC guidelines. It's what officials have been saying for quite awhile. 

 

Love the avatar 

18 hours ago, dubs said:

 

Who is Don Lover?

 

What are you talking about?  So basically your approach would be to listen to the experts?  You do realize that any chief executive has to weight multiple viewpoints and considerations and then is ultimately responsible for making a decision.

 

So again, very very simple question:  What is one thing that you would do that is currently not being done by this president.  One thing.  That's it.

 

If they are qualified and knowledgeable and had a clue, YES 

 

 

I gave you one thing ...

 

I said I would listen to the experts and not talk out of my ass!!

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mannc,

With all due respect, Your choices aren’t infinite here. If you aren’t voting for Trump than you’re voting for a very confused Joe Biden. Good luck with that! Save yourself. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mannc said:

The extreme reaction to his Easter comment was the tipping point for me.  What the hell is wrong with a leader saying “I hope we’re done with this nightmare in a few weeks”?  Can’t we assess the situation as we go, rather than closing everything indefinitely?

 

The extreme reaction is because of how ridiculous a comment it is. It's akin to seeing a "Bills in the Hunt" graphic when they are 4-7 in mid-November. Yes, it's possible, but to promote that possibility is foolish - especially when NYC's cases are projected to peak the week after Easter. 

 

“You don’t make the timeline.  The virus makes the timeline.” — Dr. Anthony Fauci

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Mannc,

With all due respect, Your choices aren’t infinite here. If you aren’t voting for Trump than you’re voting for a very confused Joe Biden. Good luck with that! Save yourself. 


I watched that whole 10 minute interview on MSDNC and it’s incredibly bad. Biden Is definitely in a diminished mental capacity.  There is no way he makes it 4 years. He might not make it another year. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gary Busey said:

 

The extreme reaction is because of how ridiculous a comment it is. It's akin to seeing a "Bills in the Hunt" graphic when they are 4-7 in mid-November. Yes, it's possible, but to promote that possibility is foolish - especially when NYC's cases are projected to peak the week after Easter. 

 

“You don’t make the timeline.  The virus makes the timeline.” — Dr. Anthony Fauci

Wrong Gary, it’s actually the exact same thing every parent tells their kids every night about how, if they do their homework (isolate, wash hands, etc) they’ll get to go to the movies on the weekend. Nothing unusual or ridiculous about it at all....nothing! I’m sure you’ve done it yourself, hundreds of times. 

2 minutes ago, dubs said:


I watched that whole 10 minute interview on MSDNC and it’s incredibly bad. Biden Is definitely in a diminished mental capacity.  There is no way he makes it 4 years. He might not make it another year. 

Gotta agree. This is going to be a mess. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

it’s actually the exact same thing every parent tells their kids every night

 

As much as you'd love to suck the teet, Trump ain't your Mom, or Dad I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

 

  1. he doesn't listen to experts because he thinks hes smarter. Listen to the experts
  2. he talks out of his ass - It's only the flu and it all be over by April.  It will disappear, it will be a miracle. Stop telling lies
  •  - “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA,” he tweeted in late February
  • “Anybody that needs a test, gets a test. They’re there. They have the tests. And the tests are beautiful.”

 

He only took this serious when the markets crashed, not when the cases were exploding. 

 

 President Donald Trump accused Democrats of “politicizing” the deadly coronavirus during a campaign rally here on Friday, claiming that the outbreak is “their new hoax” as he continued to downplay the risk in the U.S.

“This is their new hoax,” Trump continued, adding that attacking the White House’s response to the coronavirus had become the Democratic Party’s “single talking point.”

“Democrats will always say horrible things," Trump said. "Democrats want us to fail so badly.”

 

So, I ask.  What was most important to him? 

In February.  Were the cases not thought to be well contained as at that point it was people who were travelers allowed back into the country?  Were those people not tested accorsingly?  At that time people thought it was contained.  When it became a wide outbreak then most of that messaging changed.  He didnt say it would be over by Easter, he said he wants to get people back to work by easter.  That is the hope.  Get your head out of your ass.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gary Busey said:

 

As much as you'd love to suck the teet, Trump ain't your Mom, or Dad I guess.

Nice, Gary. When exposed to a more rational way of thought ...go low. I’ve tried so many times to have a real discussion with the couple of Trump haters on here, but it generally takes no more than a minute for you and others to revert to some “I know you are but what am I” Pee Wee Herman like retort. Classy!

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, westside2 said:

So will those unemployed get an extra $ 600 a week beyond their regular unemployment test?

We just need to survive this. In 2011-2014, Spain was in a very difficult situation, but they did it all.

Edited by mike_reed
updated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, meazza said:


Yes drinking a fish tank cleaner can kill.

 

 

Shhh, don't tell the morons that Buckleys has ammonia in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

In February.  Were the cases not thought to be well contained as at that point it was people who were travelers allowed back into the country?  Were those people not tested accorsingly?  At that time people thought it was contained.  When it became a wide outbreak then most of that messaging changed.  He didnt say it would be over by Easter, he said he wants to get people back to work by easter.  That is the hope.  Get your head out of your ass.

Thanks. And what was Congress, that almighty oversight body, doing at that time? Oh yeah! They were wasting hugely valuable weeks conducting a show trial on the floor of the US Senate. Not good!

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gary Busey said:

 

The extreme reaction is because of how ridiculous a comment it is. It's akin to seeing a "Bills in the Hunt" graphic when they are 4-7 in mid-November. Yes, it's possible, but to promote that possibility is foolish - especially when NYC's cases are projected to peak the week after Easter. 

 

“You don’t make the timeline.  The virus makes the timeline.” — Dr. Anthony Fauci

 

The extreme reaction is from people like you who live in a world of false dichotomies and a complete lack of understanding of human nature. This isn't an all or nothing proposition. There are ways to phase back in the workforce while still doing all we can to fight the virus. It is uncertainty that drives fear and people need a sense of comfort, a feeling of security, and a light at the end of the tunnel, even if it materializes later, rather than sooner. 

 

Why do you lock your doors at night? Because it makes you feel safe, even though it wouldn't really prevent anyone from getting into your home and harming you if they wanted to.  If you ever had children, how many times did you tell them everything was going to be alright, or that you would always keep them safe,  or any other comforting words that you either knew were unlikely or even false? Because people need that sense of certainty in their lives.

 

You can call it false hope. I call it strong leadership.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Nice, Gary. When exposed to a more rational way of thought ...go low. I’ve tried so many times to have a real discussion with the couple of Trump haters on here, but it generally takes no more than a minute for you and others to revert to some “I know you are but what am I” Pee Wee Herman like retort. Classy!

 

Trump is not a parent. He's an elected official. Is that PC enough for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

 

As much as you'd love to suck the teet, Trump ain't your Mom, or Dad I guess.

 

Sorry, but people like to see the same thing in ther leaders as they do their parents in times of crises.: Strength and comfort

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gary Busey said:

 

Trump is not a parent. He's an elected official. Is that PC enough for you?

Wrong again Gary. Analogies are clearly a bit too complicated for you. The President is the elected leader of the country. He’s therefore setting the standards for today and the goals for tomorrow. Seems to me that’s EXACTLY what his job is.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

In February.  Were the cases not thought to be well contained as at that point it was people who were travelers allowed back into the country?  Were those people not tested accorsingly?  At that time people thought it was contained.  When it became a wide outbreak then most of that messaging changed.  He didnt say it would be over by Easter, he said he wants to get people back to work by easter.  That is the hope.  Get your head out of your ass.

 

The obvious answer is No.  It wasn't taken seriously enough by Trump or Jarred who informed Trump that it was only a FLU.

 

He said it would be over by mid April a month ago,  before he took it seriously.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Wrong again Gary. Analogies are clearly a bit too complicated for you. The President is the elected leader of the country. He’s therefore setting the standards for today and the goals for tomorrow. Seems to me that’s EXACTLY what his job is.

 

His goals for tomorrow (Easter) are scientifically impossible. All I'm asking for is for him to be realistic. I have a business I would like to open this summer. The longer he pretends things are improving (they're not - look at the numbers) the longer this is going to drag out.

5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

 

Sorry, but people like to see the same thing in ther leaders as they do their parents in times of crises.: Strength and comfort

 

This is true. If you see strength and comfort in our current president, that's good. I see a child-like adult saying something different each day.

Edited by Gary Busey
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

 

Love the avatar 

 

If they are qualified and knowledgeable and had a clue, YES 

 

 

I gave you one thing ...

 

I said I would listen to the experts and not talk out of my ass!!


you can’t just listen!  That’s the point!  First you have to choose which experts to trust, contrary to what you are hearing from the DNC there’s a lot of varied opinions on the severity and duration of this. There’s differing opinions on potential therapeutics. Then there’s also competing priorities such as economic detestation and severe depression/isolation, the threat of public back lash, states responsibilities vs federal ones. There experts in each of those fields as well. 
 

Once you “listen” to them, that’s all president Slim does?  

 

Presidents have to make decisions and act, they can’t just pick someone, say he or she is an expert in one thing and then do nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gary Busey said:

This is true. If you see strength and comfort in our current president, that's good.

 

Well, all I can say is you never will if you don't want to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...