The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Fair point. It was bad optics (particularly in it's initial version), but I'll give him a pass on HAVING the party. That's because I want to see full outdoor stadiums for the World Series, for NFL Sundays, for outdoor music festivals, etc. I am perhaps not as doctrinaire as you thought. There's always risk balancing; to me, the science doesn't support banning outdoor events or requiring masks outside. Tents are "leaky" and air turnover rates are high, even for those posh garden party things. Plus as I understand it, everyone was required to be vaccinated.

As for travel to mass events: this doesn't strike me as that different from a big wedding, which I don't want to see banned. There's a cost-benefit calculation, which is why I support businesses and to some extent governments mandating vaccines.

I’m a realist.  I look at actions v words, consider the agenda of the people in question, and what they may know that I do not.   

It’s the same approach I took when watching widespread social justice protests and gatherings, with support from liberal politicians as if no one ever suggested those specific actions were exactly what spreads the virus.   

I have no issues with Obama having a COVID party, no issues with him making scoodles of money after leaving office, or him using the world as his personal playground. 

I just recognize this action for what it is—a bunch of wealthy liberals with agendas doing the exact opposite of what common sense tells us.  We can get into the weeds about all these folks being 100% clean and tents being airy, but none of that passes muster IMO.   A tent on the lawn with 500 people jammed into it, singing, dancing and carousing is not an outdoor venue.  

Behavior is modeled, or it’s not.    In this case, it’s not, and lots of folks on both pro- and anti- vax sidelines look at what took place and go “Hmm, now that’s weird”.    Additionally, the entire event was discussed,  optics included, pros and cons weighed out and they decided to push through because they knew they could manage the fallout.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I’m a realist.  I look at actions v words, consider the agenda of the people in question, and what they may know that I do not.   

It’s the same approach I took when watching widespread social justice protests and gatherings, with support from liberal politicians as if no one ever suggested those specific actions were exactly what spreads the virus.   

I have no issues with Obama having a COVID party, no issues with him making scoodles of money after leaving office, or him using the world as his personal playground. 

I just recognize this action for what it is—a bunch of wealthy liberals with agendas doing the exact opposite of what common sense tells us.  We can get into the weeds about all these folks being 100% clean and tents being airy, but none of that passes muster IMO.   A tent on the lawn with 500 people jammed into it, singing, dancing and carousing is not an outdoor venue.  

Behavior is modeled, or it’s not.    In this case, it’s not, and lots of folks on both pro- and anti- vax sidelines look at what took place and go “Hmm, now that’s weird”.    Additionally, the entire event was discussed,  optics included, pros and cons weighed out and they decided to push through because they knew they could manage the fallout.  

Darn SUPER SPREADERS!!! 😂😂😂

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Hypocrisy continues.

"You're going to get to do that in the future......"

Just f this f...ing clown.  

You only turn 60 once.  

You only have 1 childhood.  

Your wedding now anxiously waits your States next indefinite arbitrary mandate.   

F all these people.  All of them that support this guy from the corporations and professional sports leagues (gateways to what society will do) that are all getting strung along or playing along 

INDEFINITELY.  

Hey Anthony.......we were averaging 10K cases (allegedly) a day in late June.  Why wasn't it under control then?  By those metrics it's never going to be ---- maybe you should start defining what that is.  

Also,

Delta - whatever that is - was here in June.  We didn't hear from you idiots about anything until the VEA needed cover for the school year.  

Get off the TV and do your job and stop the lies.  

YEAR 3 is right around the corner everyone.   Entering year 3!

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, dpberr said:

You're about to be stunned....for about a decade, Europe has been trying to make the severity of its flu season less by fortifying its food supply with Vitamin D.  Some countries have really gotten to it, others haven't.  

I think there's a lot of data points flying around out in the air about a person's Vitamin D levels and how it correlates to COVID severity.  Why nobody is trying to really understand that relationship beats me, It'd seem like a simple way for people to keep themselves from not getting sick. 

The same reason they lied about HCQ being dangerous and therefore unsuitable to treat a disease...that could kill you. :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

You have been silent about Trump’s modeling. An observation. 

I wonder if the situation in Florida will expand northwards as the fall comes. The vax rate in Florida in particular is not that much worse than many states with lower case counts. 

7 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Fair point. It was bad optics (particularly in it's initial version), but I'll give him a pass on HAVING the party. That's because I want to see full outdoor stadiums for the World Series, for NFL Sundays, for outdoor music festivals, etc. I am perhaps not as doctrinaire as you thought. There's always risk balancing; to me, the science doesn't support banning outdoor events or requiring masks outside. Tents are "leaky" and air turnover rates are high, even for those posh garden party things. Plus as I understand it, everyone was required to be vaccinated.

As for travel to mass events: this doesn't strike me as that different from a big wedding, which I don't want to see banned. There's a cost-benefit calculation, which is why I support businesses and to some extent governments mandating vaccines.

And all the guests had to tested. 

I remember the Trump presser with the rapid test done at the podium. I expected those to become ubiquitous at large events until hospitalizations and deaths were way down but they’ve never caught on widely. 

1 hour ago, Sundancer said:

You have been silent about Trump’s modeling. An observation. 

I wonder if the situation in Florida will expand northwards as the fall comes. The vax rate in Florida in particular is not that much worse than many states with lower case counts. 

And all the guests had to tested. 

I remember the Trump presser with the rapid test done at the podium. I expected those to become ubiquitous at large events until hospitalizations and deaths were way down but they’ve never caught on widely. 

I’d be happy to share thoughts on Trump’s modeling.  What would you like to discuss?  

As it relates to the here and now, I assume Trump will have something to share about the abject hypocrisy of the event. He should, and it’s for the greater good.   It would be appropriate politically.

I’ll let you know about Florida when I get there next month—assuming Tom Hanx and Queen Bae didn’t import California delta variant seeds across the northeast with this hugely important celebration during a time of national crisis.   

Btw, when I was in Florida in February, unvaxxed and minding my business as I usually do, it was awesome to be out and about with the sun on my face.  One of the hi-lights was a night on a restaurant patio drinking a beer.  After winter in NY, shut downs and Andrew Cuomo,  it really felt an awful lot like freedom.  I almost wore a Defund Five-O shirt to guarantee the virus stayed clear of me, but decided to live on the edge. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I’d be happy to share thoughts on Trump’s modeling.  What would you like to discuss?  

As it relates to the here and now, I assume Trump will have something to share about the abject hypocrisy of the event. He should, and it’s for the greater good.   It would be appropriate politically.

I’ll let you know about Florida when I get there next month—assuming Tom Hanx and Queen Bae didn’t import California delta variant seeds across the northeast with this hugely important celebration during a time of national crisis.   

Btw, when I was in Florida in February, unvaxxed and minding my business as I usually do, it was awesome to be out and about with the sun on my face.  One of the hi-lights was a night on a restaurant patio drinking a beer.  After winter in NY, shut downs and Andrew Cuomo,  it really felt an awful lot like freedom.  I almost wore a Defund Five-O shirt to guarantee the virus stayed clear of me, but decided to live on the edge. 

Oh, and @The Frankish Reich and Sunny D— just imagine the messaging that might have taken place had Barrack and Michelle Obama arranged a press conference, assembled the media and said something like this:

“We were so excited to celebrate Barrack’s 60th Birthday with our friends at our beautiful home.  We started planning for this celebration of a life well over a year ago when we were hopeful that the nation would be on the other side of this pandemic.  However, when it became apparent that the delta variant is an extremely dangerous adaptation of the virus, and when we saw the vaccination numbers stall nationally, we could not in good conscience push forward.

Together, we call on all Americans...rich and poor...tall and short....conservative, independent and liberal...to join us and get vaccinated.  To Black Americans specifically, we’re asking you to trust us on this, times have changed, we are on a brighter path—get vaccinated now.

Oh, and special shout out to Leh-nerd for reminding us all that being in a $25,000 tent, singing, dancing and partying is not the same as being outside!  You got us boy-eeee!”

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Governor said:

Holy crap!

Florida COVID update: More than 28,000 cases per day over the weekend, another record.

Along with that infection record, the state set another record, 13,977 current hospitalizations.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article253368768.html

Another ghoulish lefty celebrating illness and death.   

On 8/8/2021 at 8:43 AM, Chef Jim said:

I have no problem with people making money. Lots of money.  Especially after they leave public service.  I do however have issues with people like Pelosi and Feinstein reaping in piles of money WHILE in office. Public service was never designed to be a life long career.  Why do you think so many of them continue to do it well into their 80’s?  It’s easy money. 

That, and they're flaming narcissists who need flocks of staff, reporters, and loyal voters smooching up on their behinds.

masks required inside the concourse at Highmark Stadium as of…. a couple weeks ago.  Per a press release from the venerable Erie County Dept of Health.

Next up:  capacity restrictions, just in time for the season to start!!! 

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

masks required inside the concourse at Highmark Stadium as of…. a couple weeks ago.  Per a press release from the venerable Erie County Dept of Health.

Next up:  capacity restrictions, just in time for the season to start!!! 

Highmark Stadium??