The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

2 things regarding the Medium article that DR and B-Man posted: 

1- it appears to have been censored on the host site- does anyone have a secondary location? I didn’t get a chance to read it.

2- Lol at the poster who discredited it initially because “he’s just a guy” and then doubled back to show how bad the article was based on what the open forum comments said. 

Here you go:

After numerous flame wars on Twitter, Medium is now showing at the above URL an otherwise white page that reads “ERROR 410 This post is under investigation or was found in violation of the Medium Rules.”

However, the article can now be found at the (now Twitter-banned) Zero Hedge.

includes the main critical response also.

28 minutes ago, GG said:

I read the 2nd article, not the first.  My biggest beef is the contradiction and no solution to his "time" example.  I'm tired of people harping on the testing, when all resources should be devoted to adding beds, finding a treatment & vaccine.

The lack of testing early on, what I was harping on weeks ago, is why we got to the point of taking extreme measures now. But, yes, it’s all about saving lives now. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TPS said:

The lack of testing early on, what I was harping on weeks ago, is why we got to the point of taking extreme measures now. But, yes, it’s all about saving lives now. 

Question: Is there any danger we could flood the economy with too many dollars here? It sure looks like this government response to the crisis will make 2008 look like small potatoes. Can we just print up money and not worry? I’ll hang up and listen for your response 

6 minutes ago, TPS said:

Would have led to the same measures a couple weeks ago. Testing wouldn’t ( and still doesn’t) change anything else in the equation. The medical system , lack of resources and a vaccine are the problem. Still a shortage of tests as it is. There was just no preventing this virus, short of actually having enough supply of hospital space and equipment. That was years in the making. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Do you feel better now? 

I was pointing out that in nearly all service sector jobs an employee can readily quit a job since you asked.  The grocery store worker can quit even without prior notice though it is still proper etiquette to give two weeks notice.  Only in cases of having an employee contract where short notice resignation is prohibited would prevent an employee from readily quitting.  

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I was pointing out that in nearly all service sector jobs an employee can readily quit a job since you asked.  The grocery store worker can quit even without prior notice though it is still proper etiquette to give two weeks notice.  Only in cases of having an employee contract where short notice resignation is prohibited would prevent an employee from readily quitting.  

So you actually think I work in a laundry? You believe that? 

8 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Question: Is there any danger we could flood the economy with too many dollars here? It sure looks like this government response to the crisis will make 2008 look like small potatoes. Can we just print up money and not worry? I’ll hang up and listen for your response 

It’s not perfect, but it is better than the alternative by far. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

So you actually think I work in a laundry? You believe that? 

No.  I believe that you are working for a leftist think tank after you responded to an ad along the lines of "Work from home.  Make 2-3K dollars per week............."

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

No.  I believe that you are working for a leftist think tank BJ's Happy Endings Service Company after you responded to an ad along the lines of "Work from home.  Make 2-3K dollars per week............."*

*We pay in cash weekly.

Edited by 3rdnlng

9 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

No.  I believe that you are working for a leftist think tank after you responded to an ad along the lines of "Work from home.  Make 2-3K dollars per week............."

Oh! And here I thought you were just sort of dumb, but you showed me! You super dumb! Carry on moron 

21 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Not really. Yes.

3 minutes ago, B-Man said:

NYC public transportation is a petri dish.  If this thing really does live for a while on handrails and door handles, without a good scrub down of the subway (taxis, buses), it is simply a matter of time before everyone has contact with the virus.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Would have led to the same measures a couple weeks ago. Testing wouldn’t ( and still doesn’t) change anything else in the equation. The medical system , lack of resources and a vaccine are the problem. Still a shortage of tests as it is. There was just no preventing this virus, short of actually having enough supply of hospital space and equipment. That was years in the making. 

There was no preventing the virus, yes. However, your response, or lack, will determine if you end up like Italy or China/Korea. We had an opportunity to be on the right side after shutting down flights to China, but it was wasted. 

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

My impressions of Cuomo during this trying time:

He is on top of things and appears to have risen to the crisis.

Today was the first time I sensed that he was equivocating to the point where at a later date he could blame the Feds for something going wrong.

He loves to hear himself talk, especially in front of a camera. He sees this crisis as a possible stepping stone to POTUS.

Oh, did I say he loves to hear himself talk? My understanding is that if he and Schumer are together and there is a camera around, Schumer is the one that ends of holding Cuomo's beer. 

• Like (+1) 1