The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Screenshot_20210302-155719_Gallery.jpg

tenor.gif

2 minutes ago, ALF said:

If only Gov Abbott could keep the electricity on , the water on , pipes from freezing , salt the highway to prevent a 133 vehicle accident with 6 dead . 

Whitmer: Michigan to relax restaurant, business COVID-19 restrictions starting Friday

Indoor dining capacity will increase to 50%, with other businesses also allowed to function with fewer COVID-19 restrictions.

Restaurants can accept twice as many indoor diners, shops and business can also allow more customers and private gatherings may involve more people under a new state health order set to take effect Friday. 

https://amp-freep-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.freep.com/amp/6886499002?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=16147188135919&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.freep.com%2Fstory%2Fnews%2Flocal%2Fmichigan%2F2021%2F03%2F02%2Fmichigan-indoor-dining-restrictions-businesses-covid-19%2F6886499002%2F

Edited by Big Blitz

18 minutes ago, ALF said:

If only Gov Abbott could keep the electricity on , the water on , pipes from freezing , salt the highway to prevent a 133 vehicle accident with 6 dead . 

If only Kathleen Blanco could have prevented Hurricane Katrina...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

If only Kathleen Blanco could have prevented Hurricane Katrina...

False analogy, Texas chose not to winterize it's grid and  also disconnected itself from the interstate grid. Everything that resulted from the polar vortex hitting Texas could have been prevented. But they chose to ignore federal winterization regulations and disconnected from the rest of the country who could have sent them power. 

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

False analogy, Texas chose not to winterize it's grid and  also disconnected itself from the interstate grid. Everything that resulted from the polar vortex hitting Texas could have been prevented. But they chose to ignore federal winterization regulations and disconnected from the rest of the country who could have sent them power.

Katrina could also have been prevented if they'd reinforced their flood walls.  I guess states aren't interested in the rare chance that disaster can strike.

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

Katrina could also have been prevented if they'd reinforced their flood walls.  I guess states aren't interested in the rare chance that disaster can strike.

Most of the problems caused by Katrina were poor design by the Army Corps of Engineers, not Louisiana.  Though I do fault anyone stupid enough to buy a home below sea level as well.

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

And California has made the conscious decision not to clear the undergrowth in our forest lands, and the result is massive wildfires, emanating from poorly maintained power lines.  

Are those state or Federal owned lands?

43 minutes ago, Doc said:

I wonder if New Orleans has strengthened thier flood walls since?

31 minutes ago, B-Man said:

See how easy it was to distract the thread from Covid and today's Texas news...........:lol:

Meanwhile.

This guy filled skate parks with sand to stop kids from playing outdoors.

Said this to a buddy of mine today when we were talking about the Pegulas giving up control of the 716 bar.

Why would you EVER open a restaurant, or take any risk to start a brick and mortar business in a deep blue commie state like this post this sham?  

In addition to mountains of regulations, you will forever have to worry about arbitrarily being shut down indefinitely for the next "public health crisis."  

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Said this to a buddy of mine today when we were talking about the Pegulas giving up control of the 716 bar.

Why would you EVER open a restaurant, or take any risk to start a brick and mortar business in a deep blue commie state like this post this sham?  

In addition to mountains of regulations, you will forever have to worry about arbitrarily being shut down indefinitely for the next "public health crisis."  

I own a brick and mortar and did my best to keep my employees employed and my bills paid.  Thankfully we did not fall into the "Sorry chief, suck it up and sit the %$#@ down and btw people don't get infected in the Home Depot...", though we had to scramble to create a new normal.  I had just hired a new employee---35 year old lady who had come off a bad employment situation and was prepped to be on the chopping block.  With a hubby, a mortgage and two children at home, she needed the job and it all worked out.  It was costly but in the end all was fine relative to what some of my friends went through.

My son purchased a 2 family at the end of 2019.  Saved his money, worked hard, and as a family we put some significant time, effort and  money into improvements.  He followed NYS rental guidelines to a T, got a tenant and a short time later COVID hit.  I recall Governor Sausagemuff lecturing the landlords about being patient, about how the tenant had to be protected, and how "NY will take care of you later.".   Well, a year later many landlords are $#@!ed, some tenants have no fear of reprisal, and a year has been lost.  My son had screened candidates quite well and worked with his tenant when times got tight and so far, he's been able to meet his obligations.  You do have to wonder how long that lasts if lockdowns persist for an extended time.  

If I was starting over, and with no concern for proximity to family, I can think of 7 states I'd choose over NY and that's just off the top of my head.   

Here's hoping Florida, Texas and Mississippi made the right call when we look back 5 years from now.  

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

See how easy it was to distract the thread from Covid and today's Texas news...........:lol:

Meanwhile.

This guy filled skate parks with sand to stop kids from playing outdoors.

What do you think the chances are he ordered it via text over frogs legs and a nice bubbly from wine country when breaking the rules he put in place for the serfs the day before?  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I own a brick and mortar and did my best to keep my employees employed and my bills paid.  Thankfully we did not fall into the "Sorry chief, suck it up and sit the %$#@ down and btw people don't get infected in the Home Depot...", though we had to scramble to create a new normal.  I had just hired a new employee---35 year old lady who had come off a bad employment situation and was prepped to be on the chopping block.  With a hubby, a mortgage and two children at home, she needed the job and it all worked out.  It was costly but in the end all was fine relative to what some of my friends went through.

My son purchased a 2 family at the end of 2019.  Saved his money, worked hard, and as a family we put some significant time, effort and  money into improvements.  He followed NYS rental guidelines to a T, got a tenant and a short time later COVID hit.  I recall Governor Sausagemuff lecturing the landlords about being patient, about how the tenant had to be protected, and how "NY will take care of you later.".   Well, a year later many landlords are $#@!ed, some tenants have no fear of reprisal, and a year has been lost.  My son had screened candidates quite well and worked with his tenant when times got tight and so far, he's been able to meet his obligations.  You do have to wonder how long that lasts if lockdowns persist for an extended time.  

If I was starting over, and with no concern for proximity to family, I can think of 7 states I'd choose over NY and that's just off the top of my head.   

Here's hoping Florida, Texas and Mississippi made the right call when we look back 5 years from now.  

What do you think the chances are he ordered it via text over frogs legs and a nice bubbly from wine country when breaking the rules he put in place for the serfs the day before?  

People were getting a decent amount of money from unemployment, and businesses got free money.  There's no excuse that people shouldn't have paid some of their rent.  Do you think after this anyone will think twice about getting their $4 coffee at Starbucks, and saving their money just in case?  Hell no, they can't wait to get back out and buy that overpriced coffee.  Americans spend WAYYYY too much money on crap they don't need.  A good portion of that money goes right to China.  

22 minutes ago, daz28 said:

People were getting a decent amount of money from unemployment, and businesses got free money.  There's no excuse that people shouldn't have paid some of their rent.  Do you think after this anyone will think twice about getting their $4 coffee at Starbucks, and saving their money just in case?  Hell no, they can't wait to get back out and buy that overpriced coffee.  Americans spend WAYYYY too much money on crap they don't need.  A good portion of that money goes right to China.  

Well-intentioned people can run into difficult situations in the best of times, but when you factor in the uncertainty of a pandemic, all bets are off.  I agree with you, generally, that people of strong moral fiber would honor the obligation.  Unfortunately, people are people, and when the government suggests the downside of NOT paying your bills is....nothing but free living, some people don't pay.  NY in particular is not known as landlord friendly.    

It's going to happen again in some way, shape or form when the soup line for college grads comes around.  Free is free even when someone else is forced to shoulder the load.  

27 minutes ago, B-Man said:

What a joke he is.

FaroffOddIcterinewarbler-small.gif

Fits the following criteria (which is of course absurd)

1.  Need a year to know what the vaccine does/lasts 

2. Need to vaccinate kids.  

At least he didn't say "I'm not sure you can go back to normal." 

He actually said "back to normal.  

But whoever is "cautioning" him on that need to come out and say wtf it is they are looking at.  

And what exactly is it we have to do?

Flatten the curve?

Not overwhelm the hospitals?

Can he acknowledge they've moved the goal posts 600 times?

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, B-Man said:

Control..................

PEAK SCIENCE DENIAL: Washington D.C. threatens to close the outdoors ahead of cherry blossom season

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/03/02/peak-science-denial-washington-d-c-threatens-to-close-the-outdoors-ahead-of-cherry-blossom-season/

Go ahead, try and justify it.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with where the cherry blossoms are but the parking is extremely limited.  Most people get there by the Metro, which is operating at a severely reduced schedule.  Hence, there is an increased risk by packing a bunch of people in a subway car.

It isn't stupid like closing a beach.

9 hours ago, Scraps said:

WOOOOHOOOO!!!

The state with 8th highest positivity rate in the country and the 6th worst vaccination rate has decided to distract its citizens from its horrible electric grid with a new wave of Covid.  

PARTY!!!

And you’re afraid of this why exactly? On the contrary, I’m very interested to see if there are any significant negative impacts to this decision. We need to be looking at alternative approaches more, not less. I’m pretty sure that concerned Texans will take the precautions they feel are necessary for them personally. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1