The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

My apologies but it did sound that way.  There is no question Fauci is one of the best in his field in the world.  He does not shoot from the hip; he looks at data and is appropriately cautious when doing so.

Then he could avoid a ton of criticism by citing what he’s been looking at to formulate his preeminent opinions. There is more data on Covid than just about any scientific topic in the history of the world, but the good Doctor never seems to cite anything other than his personal opinion. It’s a delivery problem, not a partisan one. If you want to be a scientist, be one! You don’t let yourself be photographed for magazine covers sitting by a pool. You don’t go on drive-by shows with five second sound bites. Get serious Dr Fauci and I’ll take you seriously. 

19 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Then he could avoid a ton of criticism by citing what he’s been looking at to formulate his preeminent opinions. There is more data on Covid than just about any scientific topic in the history of the world, but the good Doctor never seems to cite anything other than his personal opinion. It’s a delivery problem, not a partisan one. If you want to be a scientist, be one! You don’t let yourself be photographed for magazine covers sitting by a pool. You don’t go on drive-by shows with five second sound bites. Get serious Dr Fauci and I’ll take you seriously. 

Trumptards say the dumbest things. 

More data is on Covid than just about any scientific topic??  Seriously?  There is more scientific data on Covid than there is on HIV, cancer. heart disease, tuberculosis, ebola, aeronautics, space travel, climate change?  That is just a smattering of topics.

Its funny how the right wing echo chamber went nuts fear mongering during the ebola epidemic of 2014 poo pooing everything the scientific community said at the time, claiming we didn't know enough about the ebola, even though it had been around for over 38 years, but now, with a virus that has been around less than 1.5 years, they expect perfect knowledge and clarity.

5 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Trumptards say the dumbest things. 

More data is on Covid than just about any scientific topic??  Seriously?  There is more scientific data on Covid than there is on HIV, cancer. heart disease, tuberculosis, ebola, aeronautics, space travel, climate change?  That is just a smattering of topics.

Its funny how the right wing echo chamber went nuts fear mongering during the ebola epidemic of 2014 poo pooing everything the scientific community said at the time, claiming we didn't know enough about the ebola, even though it had been around for over 38 years, but now, with a virus that has been around less than 1.5 years, they expect perfect knowledge and clarity.

Ha! So...apparently Fauci is indeed just shooting from the hip then? And he has nothing to base his seemingly daily hunches on? If so, then as a scientist he should STFU until he actually knows something. Again, my problem with our good Doctor is that he’s become addicted to the publicity. I’m sure he was a decent enough, really highly paid, public ‘servant’ before all this started. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Ha! So...apparently Fauci is indeed just shooting from the hip then? And he has nothing to base his seemingly daily hunches on? If so, then as a scientist he should STFU until he actually knows something. Again, my problem with our good Doctor is that he’s become addicted to the publicity. I’m sure he was a decent enough, really highly paid, public ‘servant’ before all this started. 

He bases his comments on the data.  He has since the pandemic started and as the data changes his thoughts change.  Preeminent scientists don't go off hunches.  You know better.

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I would think he bases his opinions on the data at hand from SARS COV-2 when it is available.  Where hard data with this particular virus does not exist, they extrapolate based on other coronaviruses and respiratory diseases.  I wouldn't so much call it guess work or shooting from the hip. 

Think of it this way.  If you were trying to avoid a flood, were driving down the road and came to to fork in the road, would to take the high road or the low road?

BTW, this is actually how the Covid test the WHO used came about.  A researcher who heard about this mysterious illness in January 2019 guessed that it was a cousin of the SARS virus.  He made a test to detect SARS.  He was right.  That test would detect SARS COV-2.  It actually detects both but since SARS COV-1 isn't currently spreading in the human population, it was good enough.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

And Biden has done what differently? Answer: nothing. If Covid can be so easily controlled from the White House  then please list the many things Biden has done to change the current state of affairs. Answer again: absolutely nothing. (Well he did mandate masks in the Post Office.)

Trump did not ban air travel from China and Europe in Jan 2020 when it could have been effective ,  he did too little too late. 

Trump could see the draconian method China took to deal with covid because they took it very serious , he did not.   The buck stops with Trump , way too late now after it spread.

Edited by ALF

September 2023 or beyond.....you will be distanced and teen suicides will skyrocket.  Public Schools will collapse.  

This is possible because half the country believes this and is scared to the point of double masking; and doesn't understand the permanent damage being done to the Republic, their rights, and the kids they don't have anyway.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ALF said:

Trump did not ban air travel from China and Europe in Jan 2020 when it could have been effective ,  he did too little too late. 

Trump could see the draconian method China took to deal with covid because they took it very serious , he did not.   The buck stops with Trump , way too late now after it spread.

Nice try Alf but no.  Biden ran on turning things around via His Plan.  I'm still waiting.   We mandated masks in the post offices....and now.....nothing.

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

He bases his comments on the data.  He has since the pandemic started and as the data changes his thoughts change.  Preeminent scientists don't go off hunches.  You know better.

I do know better, and so does Dr. Fauci.  Where are the studies that show the varying results from what the different states are doing? America is an ideal laboratory for something like Covid 19.  We have a bunch of different policies across the nation, all for the same virus.  That is ideal, if you want to study something and reduce the variables in an equation....which is real science, if you remember from Middle School.  The numbers that we're seeing, after almost a full year, show very little difference in deaths per million or cases per million based on the standard variables. And this is not a small sample size!  We are talking millions and millions of people all reacting to the same virus in the same country in the same year.  It doesn't get much better scientifically than that! 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Nice try Alf but no.  Biden ran on turning things around via His Plan.  I'm still waiting.   We mandated masks in the post offices....and now.....nothing.

I do know better, and so does Dr. Fauci.  Where are the studies that show the varying results from what the different states are doing? America is an ideal laboratory for something like Covid 19.  We have a bunch of different policies across the nation, all for the same virus.  That is ideal, if you want to study something and reduce the variables in an equation....which is real science, if you remember from Middle School.  The numbers that we're seeing, after almost a full year, show very little difference in deaths per million or cases per million based on the standard variables. And this is not a small sample size!  We are talking millions and millions of people all reacting to the same virus in the same country in the same year.  It doesn't get much better scientifically than that! 

Fauci's been in a tough spot, but I certainly don't feel he's above criticism.  It always seems to that he's trying to thread a political needle.  I did a quick review of his comments on the summertime protests.  It's been a hot button issue of mine as I worked to keep my business going while moving folks to remote work sites, managing their concerns with respect to work and family obligations, prepping the office for their eventual return. 

When I review his comments in the calm light of day several months later, it's unfair to say he didn't comment about the risk of spread from these events, but it's absolutely fair to say his comments were tepid at best.  It seems to me--as the nations preeminent egghead on infectious disease--if his goal was to manage the virus and reduce transmissions, he should have been shouting from his perch that when people gather together in close proximity, people die.  Instead, he rambled a bit about the right to protest, the right to be heard--which has zero to do with whether or not the virus spreads in those settings.

Consequently, as Americans struggled to survive, their lives and fortunes changed overnight, they started to wear masks, scrambled to find the magic elixyr to sanitize anything they might touch and discontinued living their normal lives while they watched the undeniable spread of the virus on the nightly news and nary a word said about it. 

I've followed the protocols, worn the mask, distanced socially and see very few people not following the process.  In fact, over the last 12 months, I can count on one hand the number of outwardly defiant folks I've encountered.  Of those, the average age was probably 60+. 

I certainly don't blame the Fauch for the acts of politicians (or Trump for that matter) encouraging the spread of the disease throughout cities/states and towns.   I do, however, fault Fauci for failing to step up and saying "People.  This IS crazy.".   

"But you don't understand leaky vaccines and the 50 million kids aren't vaccinated so we will never reach herd immunity.......we know we said don't overwhelm the hospitals but Trump sucks so........and don't 'reopen too soon!!!!!!!!"

• Like (+1) 1

Uh oh..............too close to the truth.............................."alarming experts"  😆

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. 

Covid-19 Live Updates: The U.S. Is Edging Toward Normal, Alarming Some Officials.

Screen-capped in case the New York Times revises this Orwellian headline:

nyt_normal_is_alarming_03-01-2021.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/03/01/world/covid-19-coronavirus

• Like (+1) 1

Only 4%  Says who?  "Transmission is low enough?"  What is that exactly?

We were told a 5% positive rate that we should be full open everywhere that was from Birx last year.  Remember that?  I do. 

Guess we tossed that metric because nationwide it is less than 5%. 

What an absolute joke the NY Times is

Based on data that schools are SAFE....they should be fully open everywhere....so should the country.  

Screenshot_20210302-133216_One UI Home.jpg

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1

BREAKING: Texas Governor Greg Abbott Ends Mandatory Mask Mandate: ‘Time To Open Texas 100%’

Texas Governor Greg Abbott, a Republican, announced on Tuesday afternoon that he is signing an executive order that will lift the state’s mandatory mask mandate and will do away with limits on the number of people that businesses can serve indoors effective next week.

“Too many Texans have been sidelined from employment opportunities,” Abbott said. “Too many small business owners have struggled to pay their bills. This must end. It is now time to open Texas 100%.”

“So today, I’m issuing a new executive order that rescinds most of the earlier executive orders,” Abbott said. “Effective next Wednesday, all businesses of any type are allowed to open 100%. That includes any type of entity in Texas. Also, I’m ending the statewide mask mandate.”

https://www.dailywire.com/news/breaking-texas-governor-greg-abbott-ends-mandatory-mask-mandate-time-to-open-texas-100

There will be people saddened and mad over this development.

Those people need to be sent to the sun.

Edited by Big Blitz