The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Ok, its only 3 days, but its getting a bit worrisome than cases are starting to trend back up (No news seems to be reporting this yet...maybe its just something they think is too small of a sample?)

More cases reported in the USA yesterday (Wed, 24th) than last week (Wed, 17th). More cases reported Tue of this week than Tue of last week. More cases reported Mon of this week than Mon of last week.

41 minutes ago, B-Man said:

"It's maddening to watch the liberals who insisted for months that we should 'follow the science' reject the overwhelming scientific evidence that schools can reopen safely."

"Conservatives have argued for years that liberals don't actually care about science and only pretend to when it's convenient for the advancement of their political agenda. It appears that they had a point." 

A commenter named Jadon writes, at "School Closures Have Failed America’s Children As many as three million children have gotten no education for nearly a year" by Nicholas Kristof (NYT).

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2021/02/its-maddening-to-watch-liberals-who.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/24/opinion/covid-school-closures-children.html?smid=url-share

I'm not taking a shot at your or your comment....as I have a problem with both sides of the poltical debate (truly, I really REALLY think i'm someplace in the middle) but...what I laugh about is message boards, twitter and most forms of social media I follow....when it comes to politics VERY LITTLE time is spent promoting what 'your side' is doing well, most time and effort is just spent bashing the other side and basing what the other side is doing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

"It's maddening to watch the liberals who insisted for months that we should 'follow the science' reject the overwhelming scientific evidence that schools can reopen safely."

"Conservatives have argued for years that liberals don't actually care about science and only pretend to when it's convenient for the advancement of their political agenda. It appears that they had a point." 

A commenter named Jadon writes, at "School Closures Have Failed America’s Children As many as three million children have gotten no education for nearly a year" by Nicholas Kristof (NYT).

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2021/02/its-maddening-to-watch-liberals-who.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/24/opinion/covid-school-closures-children.html?smid=url-share

It is not just liberals that questioned the sanity of opening schools during a pandemic.

Maybe teachers and their unions pushed back with good reason too. 

You cherry pick evidence pulled from studies.

Studies take time, but for dumb, self-serving politicians and their ignorant drones they look at studies after the fact and say "see, no caution needed. We had a gut feeling this would work out."

Even with schools "opening" folks like you seem to want to overlook all the new protocols "open" entails.

Just in my child's district:

Staggered on-site days. Just 2 days a week in our district.

Over the summer the facilities department had to overhaul the hvac systems.

Facilities also tried every configuration imaginable and could only get half the seating per class following CDC guidance for safe distancing hence the staggered attendance schedule.

Entrances were limited and patrolled by teachers or volunteers that screen kids for fevers and signs of being sick upon entry.

Markers were sprayed "paw prints for my daughter's school" to reinforce social distancing and to help kids stay in their lane.

Masks are worn all day.

Bathroom use is limited to a single child at a time. 

Drinking fountains are off-limits so kids are encouraged to bring their own water bottles or are given bottled water if they forget.

Strict hand sanitizer use and each kid has to pitch in to sanitize their desks at the end of each bell period.

Safety training curriculum around all these changes was developed. Students and parents had to take the training and sign off on it and school liability waivers.

With all that, if community spread hits a certain threshold, we are back to distance learning full time.

So yes, they are relatively safely open. So what is your point?

Edited by WideNine
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Nah.

They will remember this clown as perpetuating the biggest sham in the history of the planet on us.

You guys on Earth 2 can play make believe that Trump caused the "outbreak" that Cuomo was praised for handling, Germany, and others that saw the exact same proportion of cases as everyone else but China who is allowed to continue to lie and not be called out by Xiden.   

Oh......And this.....

The thing is Fauci was always right. 

But he was part of the deep state insurrection, and saw masks became a political weapon in order to make Karen (the U.S. has too many of these) feel safe when she goes to Target.  

Trump tweeted optimistim tho how dare he!!!!!!!

He should have used his Authoritarian powers to end impeachment and immediately save America from the biology.  

Meanwhile, on Earth 2...they continue to traumatize children and beclown themselves 

How much per month do you spend on tinfoil? 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Ok, its only 3 days, but its getting a bit worrisome than cases are starting to trend back up (No news seems to be reporting this yet...maybe its just something they think is too small of a sample?)

Funny.  The MSM thought we should be alarming everyone last year.  Now crickets as the variants start to invade.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Open the schools.

Quarantine is doing more harm than good.

Science says so.

Take your pick.

Schools are open.  Not everywhere, but in very many states, including mine (Ohio).  

Classes are masked and socially distanced.  Part of how they managed to do this is because a significant number of parents CHOSE to keep their kids virtual.  Sports are being played.

What the science says is that kids 15 and under are less likely to be infected and spread Covid.  Kids under 12 especially.

The science also says that primary school kids are far more likely to be mild or totally asymptomatic.

The science also says that infected kids above 15 spread the virus akin to adults, thus the risk to teachers.

The science is also showing in open schools with Covid precautions there are very few spreading events.   Hence the CDC and everyone pushing for schools with proper precautions to be open.

The science also shows that some kids do better at virtual classes, others better in-person.

See the entire science instead of just the parts you like.

Edited by GaryPinC

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The local teachers Union 

Would it be more accurate to say state entities working with local teachers unions.

In my state it looks like a combination of state health and education departments coordinating and arbitrating with teacher unions to reach a consensus plan.

Sounds like state entities have a lion's share of the decision.

If unions had an arbitrary jurisdiction, they would not be suing various states over their decisions to reopen schools right?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-s-largest-teachers-union-files-suit-against-state-over-n1234382

23 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Where's your end game? Or is there one?

There is most definitely an endgame.

We are going to vaccinate Covid-19 either to obscurity (polio, smallpox) or to a manageable level in society (influenza).  My guess is somewhere in the middle of this spectrum, either several years of adapted vaccines or a paradigm similar to influenza but maybe less often.

Right now, even though the MSM will be histrionic about mutated Covid, it does appear Covid mutates faster than previously thought.  Not as fast as influenza though.  And while the vaccines may have some degree of reduced efficacy, they are far from impotent against the mutants.

We are all tired of the precautions, so start by getting vaccinated at first opportunity.  Natural immunity and vaccinated immunity are critical.  We are privileged to have the finest vaccines here in the US and if anyone prompts me I can explain why. 

As the numbers change, so do the restrictions.  We need to use the vaccines to reduce the spread and concurrent natural mutations, then the numbers and science will dictate what kind of long term vaccine plan is necessary.

In fact, once the numbers and epidemiologists determine vaccine and natural immunity have reduced spread of the virus enough it will be critical to remove precautions to assess the long term health plan to prevent Covid from ever threatening our health care system again. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Funny.  The MSM thought we should be alarming everyone last year.  Now crickets as the variants start to invade.

Maybe you are referring to "MSN" which is not really a news outlet.

So your angst is directed at a "content aggregater". So a site that collects news articles from various news sources and delivers them probably based on interest trends and click counts.

This was their 2nd top rated corona virus story when I just checked.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-02-25/new-coronavirus-variant-found-in-new-york-city

You are trying too hard to manufacture a narrative that simply is not true.

39 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Classes are masked and socially distanced.  Part of how they managed to do this is because a significant number of parents CHOSE to keep their kids virtual.  Sports are being played.

Bingo!

Thank you for the option and right to choose to keep our kids out of the public indoctrination centers forever.  

And declaring in person public school non essential.  

Refund the tax payers.  

Let the computers and parents do the work.  And there is zero reason my kids need to do the "virtual learning" my county offers.  

Where do teachers think this logically ends.  So dumb.  If you teach and you are in your 20s or 30s, start looking for another line of work.  And abandon that major in college asap.  

Should save the taxpayers $100s a month in real estate taxes.  I know half my county's budget goes to the schools.

And lol if they think Democrat politicians will save them.  Yea tell that to the fossil fuels and manufacturing industries they used to support here.  Newsome is absolutely figuring out how much in property taxes he is going to save his voters.  No chance in hell Democrats are going to let Republicans get out in front of that.   RIP folks.  You slit your own throats.   

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

There is most definitely an endgame.

We are going to vaccinate Covid-19 either to obscurity (polio, smallpox) or to a manageable level in society (influenza).  My guess is somewhere in the middle of this spectrum, either several years of adapted vaccines or a paradigm similar to influenza but maybe less often.

Right now, even though the MSM will be histrionic about mutated Covid, it does appear Covid mutates faster than previously thought.  Not as fast as influenza though.  And while the vaccines may have some degree of reduced efficacy, they are far from impotent against the mutants.

We are all tired of the precautions, so start by getting vaccinated at first opportunity.  Natural immunity and vaccinated immunity are critical.  We are privileged to have the finest vaccines here in the US and if anyone prompts me I can explain why. 

As the numbers change, so do the restrictions.  We need to use the vaccines to reduce the spread and concurrent natural mutations, then the numbers and science will dictate what kind of long term vaccine plan is necessary.

In fact, once the numbers and epidemiologists determine vaccine and natural immunity have reduced spread of the virus enough it will be critical to remove precautions to assess the long term health plan to prevent Covid from ever threatening our health care system again. 

So it wasn't about flattening the curve?

And you believe this mutation nonsense hook line and sinker?

How gullible are people? 

How can you not just be absolutely furious with everyone in charge taking YEARS away from your life and kids one chance at development (and the joy their parents get watching it happen).   

Being alive does not = living.  

This is about making every individual in every corner of the country suffer equally.  Thats ideologically where the supporters of this crap are coming from.  If you don't mitigate like us you must want to kill people.   Uh huh.  

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Would it be more accurate to say state entities working with local teachers unions.

In my state it looks like a combination of state health and education departments coordinating and arbitrating with teacher unions to reach a consensus plan.

Sounds like state entities have a lion's share of the decision.

If unions had an arbitrary jurisdiction, they would not be suing various states over their decisions to reopen schools right?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-s-largest-teachers-union-files-suit-against-state-over-n1234382

The last line of approval is the local teachers union. This isn't complicated.  Everything doesn't need to be an argument. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/28/960901166/how-is-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-going-in-your-state

"Since vaccine distribution began in the U.S. on Dec. 14, more than 66 million doses have been administered, reaching 13.6% of the total U.S. population, according to federal data collected by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The U.S. is currently administering over 1.4 million shots a day."

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/3-ways-that-the-u-s-population-will-change-over-the-next-decade#:~:text=The U.S. population today%2C at,just under 1.4 billion%2C respectively.

"The U.S. population at the start of 2020, numbers just over 331 million people."

13.6% of 331,000,000 is 66,000,000?  I was never good at math.   

52 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The last line of approval is the local teachers union. This isn't complicated.  Everything doesn't need to be an argument. 

It's not an argument if I am just correcting what appears to be an oversimplification and/or misstating facts. 

Apparently states have the final say whether schools can reopen unless of course they are sued. Which was the case in Florida, then the FINAL "final say" went before a judge to render a verdict.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/08/24/judge-sides-with-florida-teachers-union-says-districts-should-decide-if-schools-should-reopen/

2 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/28/960901166/how-is-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-going-in-your-state

"Since vaccine distribution began in the U.S. on Dec. 14, more than 66 million doses have been administered, reaching 13.6% of the total U.S. population, according to federal data collected by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The U.S. is currently administering over 1.4 million shots a day."

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/3-ways-that-the-u-s-population-will-change-over-the-next-decade#:~:text=The U.S. population today%2C at,just under 1.4 billion%2C respectively.

"The U.S. population at the start of 2020, numbers just over 331 million people."

13.6% of 331,000,000 is 66,000,000?  I was never good at math.   

I'm not sure where you are going here. Some of the doses are to the same people. The vaccines take two shots. The math isn't going to be as simple as you seem to suggest.

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

It's not an argument if I am just correcting what appears to be an oversimplification and/or misstating facts. 

Apparently states have the final say whether schools can reopen unless of course they are sued. Which was the case in Florida, then the FINAL "final say" went before a judge to render a verdict.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/08/24/judge-sides-with-florida-teachers-union-says-districts-should-decide-if-schools-should-reopen/

The Court ruled that the Union has the final say.  Isn't that what I said?

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I'm not sure where you are going here. Some of the doses are to the same people. The vaccines take two shots. The math isn't going to be as simple as you seem to suggest.

Didn't make myself clear, only 6% fully treated was my point.