The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Folks want to argue about state-by-state policies and how effective lax vs stringent policies were when in reality the US as a whole just needed to be more united in our efforts to lower infection rates.

Living in a state with strict policies I can attest that folks stubbornly walked around without masks or social distancing and they were vocal about it being a political statement.

So hard to blame policies for failure when Americans don't have the grit or will to follow them.

My concern has always been mutations that would make Covid-19 more transmissable and/or lethal.

The more infections circulating the more opportunities for the virus to evolve...it is just a simple numbers game with random mutations.

We have heard of variants arising from countries with poor pandemic containment, UK variants, Brazil variants, and now the "California" US variant?

Study links the dramatic rise in cases in CA the past few months to a new more deadly variant...will likely account up to 90% of cases by the end of next month.

https://ktla.com/news/california/the-devil-is-already-here-coronavirus-variant-in-california-looks-increasingly-dangerous/

Is what it is.

Mutant strains are why all the idiots making political statements need to stfu, and be vigilant.  The longer you cry about masks, social distancing, and vaccines is more time for the virus to mutate.  If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, daz28 said:

Mutant strains are why all the idiots making political statements need to stfu, and be vigilant.  The longer you cry about masks, social distancing, and vaccines is more time for the virus to mutate.  If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.  

Where's your end game? Or is there one?

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What kind of question is this?  Why not ask me how to end all wars, and have world peace?  How to feed the world hungry?  I think everyone's "end game" is to get back to where we were pre-Covid.  

2 minutes ago, daz28 said:

What kind of question is this?  Why not ask me how to end all wars, and have world peace?  How to feed the world hungry?  I think everyone's "end game" is to get back to where we were pre-Covid.  

Which is where, exactly?  You cannot get back to pre-Covid...because now we have Covid.  So now, we will get to somewhere else.  Before automobiles there were no car crashes. Before airplanes, there were no plane crashes.  The world will continue to change, just like it always has, and always will.  People will balance risk just like they do every time they get behind the wheel or board a plane.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

At this point I just don't know.

We have already screwed the pooch getting this under control where we may have had a chance....

This new varient seems to evade current vaccines. They may have to work on tweaking the recipe or test vaccines other than the Pfizer and Moderna for efficacy.

Sucks.

2 minutes ago, WideNine said:

We have already screwed the pooch getting this under control where we may have had a chance....

This new varient seems to evade current vaccines. They may have to work on tweaking the recipe or test vaccines other than the Pfizer and Moderna for efficacy.

Sucks.

I'm far more optimistic. This virus isn't going to end the species. It'll be fine. Keep in mind, that you're being fed stories by people and organizations that make money off of your willingness to click on, and tune into, the products/information they're selling. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Which is where, exactly?  You cannot get back to pre-Covid...because now we have Covid.  So now, we will get to somewhere else.  Before automobiles there were no car crashes. Before airplanes, there were no plane crashes.  The world will continue to change, just like it always has, and always will.  People will balance risk just like they do every time they get behind the wheel or board a plane.

Did we get to pre-Spanish Flu, pre-polio, pre-smallpox, pre-MMR???    Also, do you mean balance risk like wearing a seatbelt?  Having airbags installed?  In 1973 there were 30 commercial aircraft accidents of 19 or more fatalities.  In 2017 there were 0.  Looks like using data, and making changes works sometimes.

4 minutes ago, daz28 said:

Did we get to pre-Spanish Flu, pre-polio, pre-smallpox, pre-MMR???    Also, do you mean balance risk like wearing a seatbelt?  Having airbags installed?  In 1973 there were 30 commercial aircraft accidents of 19 or more fatalities.  In 2017 there were 0.  Looks like using data, and making changes works sometimes.

We really don't know any of those answers yet. We probably won't for some time. We went almost half a century before seat belts were added to cars.  Not sure of your age, but I when I was kid we all just road around in cars....no belts, no airbags, nothing.  The virus will evolve I'm sure, some of that will be for the better and some most likely for the worse...but people have to get on with their lives.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Sucks.

...or you can have a president who responds to unnecessary automobile crash fatalities by saying wear a seat belt/don't wear a seat belt I don't care.  

-President Donald Trump told The Wall Street Journal that he believes some Americans are wearing masks during the coronavirus pandemic to express their disapproval of him and not as a preventive measure.

-The president also said his issue with masks is that people sometimes touch the facial coverings, which increases the chance of infection.

-He went on to say he thinks "testing is overrated," adding, "I created the greatest testing machine in history."

-Trump said, however, that more testing in the US has led to an increase in confirmed cases which "in many ways, it makes us look bad."

1 minute ago, daz28 said:

...or you can have a president who responds to unnecessary automobile crash fatalities by saying wear a seat belt/don't wear a seat belt I don't care.  

-President Donald Trump told The Wall Street Journal that he believes some Americans are wearing masks during the coronavirus pandemic to express their disapproval of him and not as a preventive measure.

-The president also said his issue with masks is that people sometimes touch the facial coverings, which increases the chance of infection.

-He went on to say he thinks "testing is overrated," adding, "I created the greatest testing machine in history."

-Trump said, however, that more testing in the US has led to an increase in confirmed cases which "in many ways, it makes us look bad."

Every single one of those things is/was true, and the touching your face item came from Fauci. 

Testing has indeed been a nice scorecard, but it was never an endgame. Without a vaccine, it just like yesterdays' weather report...nice to know, but so what?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

We really don't know any of those answers yet. We probably won't for some time. We went almost half a century before seat belts were added to cars.  Not sure of your age, but I when I was kid we all just road around in cars....no belts, no airbags, nothing.  The virus will evolve I'm sure, some of that will be for the better and some most likely for the worse...but people have to get on with their lives.

Drivers and passengers complained that seat belts were uncomfortable and restrictive, but the uproar over mandatory seat belt laws was mostly ideological. One of Hollister’s colleagues in the Michigan House called the seat belt bill “a pretty good lesson in mass hysteria created by a corporate-controlled media” and warned that the government would outlaw smoking next. Another said that anyone who voted for the bill should be recalled.       

Does that sound familiar???/ Blaming the media is not a new idea, but it's still just as stupid.

“An enormous political backlash ensued,” says Jerry Mashaw, professor emeritus at the Yale Law School and co-author of The Struggle for Auto Safety. “Congress received more letters from Americans complaining about [the interlock mechanism] than they did about Nixon’s ‘Saturday Night Massacre.’”

Also sounds VERY familiar///  

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Every single one of those things is/was true, and the touching your face item came from Fauci. 

Testing has indeed been a nice scorecard, but it was never an endgame. Without a vaccine, it just like yesterdays' weather report...nice to know, but so what?

People really felt masks didn't work, but wore them to make Trump look bad???  C'mon man.  Also, why not just tell people NOT to touch the mask, instead of insinuating it might get you infected.  testing and contact tracing are VERY effective, and have saved tons of lives, which in no way "makes us look bad".  What makes us look bad if having an idiot in charge.

• Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Thank you Trump voters

The last part of it is likely the most overlooked, yet the most damning.  The stock market might be the least accurate measure of how well 98% of your citizens are doing on a personal level.  Before someone brings up retirements, keep in mind that all of it can be lost as quickly as it was gained.  Should hedge managers be allowed to pick away at our retirement?  If Americans have to spin the wheel of fortune to hope for a decent life after working hard for 50 years, then that's pretty sad.  I'll just take the pensions like people used to get, before shareholders took all the dividends and CEO's all the profits.  I think a 'WHAT TRUMP SAID ABOUT COVID ONE YEAR AGO TODAY THREAD' is in order.  It would put the stupidity in perspective.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillStime said:

Thank you Trump voters

Nah.

They will remember this clown as perpetuating the biggest sham in the history of the planet on us.

You guys on Earth 2 can play make believe that Trump caused the "outbreak" that Cuomo was praised for handling, Germany, and others that saw the exact same proportion of cases as everyone else but China who is allowed to continue to lie and not be called out by Xiden.   

Oh......And this.....

The thing is Fauci was always right. 

But he was part of the deep state insurrection, and saw masks became a political weapon in order to make Karen (the U.S. has too many of these) feel safe when she goes to Target.  

Trump tweeted optimistim tho how dare he!!!!!!!

He should have used his Authoritarian powers to end impeachment and immediately save America from the biology.  

Meanwhile, on Earth 2...they continue to traumatize children and beclown themselves 

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Eyeroll 1

"It's maddening to watch the liberals who insisted for months that we should 'follow the science' reject the overwhelming scientific evidence that schools can reopen safely."

"Conservatives have argued for years that liberals don't actually care about science and only pretend to when it's convenient for the advancement of their political agenda. It appears that they had a point." 

A commenter named Jadon writes, at "School Closures Have Failed America’s Children As many as three million children have gotten no education for nearly a year" by Nicholas Kristof (NYT).

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2021/02/its-maddening-to-watch-liberals-who.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/24/opinion/covid-school-closures-children.html?smid=url-share