The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

These people are clinically insane.  They are why every mitigation protocol should be ended immediately because they would be good with them for life.  And politicians will oblige.

Yet as Mr Johnson tries to steer the country towards the exit in the second year of this pandemic, that habit is not much in evidence.

He has accepted, at the insistence of the chief medical officer, there will be long gaps between the steps out of lockdown.

Also, despite the remarkable progress, and excited rhetoric around the vaccine, there was an important acknowledgement from Mr Johnson too, that it will never reach everyone.

The "significant minority" who will never take the vaccine will still therefore pose a risk.  (IM SORRY WTF IS THIS??--If you're vaccinated why do they pose a risk???)

And while he has repeatedly promised the steps out of lockdown will be "irreversible", inside government of course there is an awareness that is just not the case.

Everyone fervently hopes this is the last time but an aggressive and unforeseen variant of the disease could interrupt that plan. (This is not journalism)

Some massive upset with the vaccine rollout could knock things off course.

Even the limited easing up will lead to an increase in cases, and if that is more dramatic than hoped, the brakes could of course go back on.

Dramatic changes in the public's behaviour could also make a difference in the wrong way.

And the government also retains the right to bring back aggressive local lockdowns if infections surge in particular areas.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-56158439

Edited by Big Blitz

37 minutes ago, 716er said:

I am glad people that post a lot in this thread are not in charge.

I don’t think we could ever ask for more than we’ve gotten from those “in charge”—confusion, misdirection, overt politicization, encouraging mass gatherings and transmissions on a catastrophic scale, absolutely horrid behavior modeling, constantly evolving messages on flattening curves, and running the gamut from no mask to mask to double mask on our way to triple masking.  Heck in one case the team in charge of nearly 20,000,000 is apparently responsible for the deaths of thousands and then lying to cover it up.  

When people ask questions, those in charge are often held accountable.  It was often the job of the media to ask those questions, but, you know. 

Blind faith in those in charge can get you killed.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I support uniforms.

I wore uniforms to school for grammar and high schools.  As far as cliques go though, kids figure out different ways to wear them to separate their clique from the others.

I did too.

Parents plan B when they moved for work from WNY to NJ. Too many fights and trouble at my new high school had me talking about how Jersey sucked and I was going to drop out.

Sent me to a religious school with shirt, tie, the works. Thought there was no way, but when all the kids around you are in the same boat - meh.

We got used to the unis. Sure cliques still form, but I don't remember sweating what I was going to wear - ever.

Less distractions...

I recall my son when I was picking him up from a practice at his public HS complaining like an old man about decaying moral standards and how the young women "these days" should not be prancing around in yoga pants.

I laughed and asked him if it was distracting... "very" was his response 😂

The kid always was an old soul trapped in a young guy's body. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I did too.

Parents plan B when they moved for work from WNY to NJ. Too many fights and trouble at my new high school had me talking about how Jersey sucked and I was going to drop out.

Sent me to a religious school with shirt, tie, the works. Thought there was no way, but when all the kids around you are in the same boat - meh.

We got used to the unis. Sure cliques still form, but I don't remember sweating what I was going to wear - ever.

Less distractions...

I recall my son when I was picking him up from a practice at his public HS complaining like an old man about decaying moral standards and how the young women "these days" should not be prancing around in yoga pants.

I laughed and asked him if it was distracting... "very" was his response 😂

The kid always was an old soul trapped in a young guy's body. 

Again...not trying to argue, but there's of course a major difference between a public and private school.  The public school can't really kick the student out for breaking the dress code. The private school can. It makes a HUGE difference in how the parents support the school and their student, when they are paying the tuition every month.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Again...not trying to argue, but there's of course a major difference between a public and private school.  The public school can't really kick the student out for breaking the dress code. The private school can. It makes a HUGE difference in how the parents support the school and their student, when they are paying the tuition every month.

Maybe not argue, but to quote Carroll, you've lost your "muchness". 😁

Basically, your dialogue lacks any can-do attitude. It is all the ways things won't or cannot work. Am I to take from that, that you are satisfied with public schools the way they are because you feel that change is not possible? If so, we probably do not have a lot of potential remedial actions to discuss.

If not, what are your suggestions for positive change that are attainable and how would you suggest they be implemented?

2 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Maybe not argue, but to quote Carroll, you've lost your "muchness". 😁

Basically, your dialogue lacks any can-do attitude. It is all the ways things won't or cannot work. Am I to take from that, that you are satisfied with public schools the way they are because you feel that change is not possible? If so, we probably do not have a lot of potential remedial actions to discuss.

If not, what are your suggestions for positive change that are attainable and how would you suggest they be implemented?

I’ve spent forty years in and around the public school system. There’s a TON that needs to change. The single most impactful change would be to break up the teachers Union. Everything else pales in comparison and will be more or less useless as long as the Union is firmly entrenched. 

We are f...ing done here

The growing evidence that the Covid-19 vaccines can reduce transmission, explained

Here’s what we know about how the vaccines protect against spread of the virus.

But a growing body of evidence suggests the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines do, in fact, cut down on viral transmission. Two recent studies show some pretty favorable results — one from England that found that two doses of the Pfizer vaccine cut down by 86 percent someone’s chances of developing an infection that they could pass along, the other a study in Israel that found an 89.4 percent reduction (though it should be noted that the Israeli study has yet to be fully released). These findings in turn are consistent with what we do know about vaccines and transmission in general.

In other words, even as we wait for more definitive studies on the vaccines’ effects on transmission, more and more scientists think we do have enough information to feel pretty good about the vaccines’ capacity to give us back a semblance of normalcy as we approach a year of life in a pandemic.

https://www-vox-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/future-perfect/22291959/covid-vaccines-transmission-protect-spread-virus-moderna-pfizer?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=16141152325979&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vox.com%2Ffuture-perfect%2F22291959%2Fcovid-vaccines-transmission-protect-spread-virus-moderna-pfizer

Lol "semblance."  Thanks Vox

31 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve spent forty years in and around the public school system. There’s a TON that needs to change. The single most impactful change would be to break up the teachers Union. Everything else pales in comparison and will be more or less useless as long as the Union is firmly entrenched. 

40 years?  Is it true, Deek, that IN FACT, 22 of those years came as you were repeating grades 6-11?!! 

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

That's fair. At a minimum there needs to be a lot of reform where the union protects poor performing individuals and practices from course-correction.

I wonder how much pressure the Janus decision and growing charter school memberships will help move the needle - food for thought.

4 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

40 years?  Is it true, Deek, that IN FACT, 22 of those years came as you were repeating grades 6-11?!! 

Yes it’s true. Some people on here are actually significantly accomplished professionals, who happen to be Bills fans. Of course it’s hard to get word in between all the screaming and name calling. 😉

3 hours ago, WideNine said:

That's fair. At a minimum there needs to be a lot of reform where the union protects poor performing individuals and practices from course-correction.

I wonder how much pressure the Janus decision and growing charter school memberships will help move the needle - food for thought.

Some charter schools teaching staff are actually in the local Union. It depends on how the charter is established.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

We are f...ing done here

The growing evidence that the Covid-19 vaccines can reduce transmission, explained

Here’s what we know about how the vaccines protect against spread of the virus.

But a growing body of evidence suggests the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines do, in fact, cut down on viral transmission. Two recent studies show some pretty favorable results — one from England that found that two doses of the Pfizer vaccine cut down by 86 percent someone’s chances of developing an infection that they could pass along, the other a study in Israel that found an 89.4 percent reduction (though it should be noted that the Israeli study has yet to be fully released). These findings in turn are consistent with what we do know about vaccines and transmission in general.

In other words, even as we wait for more definitive studies on the vaccines’ effects on transmission, more and more scientists think we do have enough information to feel pretty good about the vaccines’ capacity to give us back a semblance of normalcy as we approach a year of life in a pandemic.

https://www-vox-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/future-perfect/22291959/covid-vaccines-transmission-protect-spread-virus-moderna-pfizer?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=16141152325979&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vox.com%2Ffuture-perfect%2F22291959%2Fcovid-vaccines-transmission-protect-spread-virus-moderna-pfizer

Lol "semblance."  Thanks Vox

OK, but Fauci says we don't know how long the immunity will last, so we better stay masked up after 70% + get vaccinated.

24 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

OK, but Fauci says we don't know how long the immunity will last, so we better stay masked up after 70% + get vaccinated.

And we are still listening to Facui why again?  This guys seems to say whatever comes into his gourd day after day, never citing any real hard evidence or studies, just shooting from his fame-addicted hip.  It's time for serious people to take their turn at bat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Everyone brace yourselves.

The next hysteria is 50 million kids aren't vaccinated so it's not safe yet.

Mitigation continues as is.  High Schools zero chance of reopening in September.

And they won't be getting vaccinated in 2021.  

I'm not telling you this because I agree with it.  I'm telling you this is what these lunatics are going to be doing for the duration of this calendar year, minimum.

When POS Fauci and others say "some semblance of normalcy" this is exactly what they mean and will be using to keep this going.  

That and we don't know how long the vaccines last.  

It does seem like the goal posts continue to move further and further back. First it was flatten the curve. Then crush the curve. Then not until we get 70% vaccinated. Then Fauci says 85% or 90% or 95%.  Then it was variants. Vaccine seems to handle variants. Now Fauci says the risk has to be so low (never says how low is so low). And now we can't cuz we don't know how long immunity lasts.

You're probably right on the next move.  We must vaccinate kids first.

Good luck enforcing this.

Once 70% are vaccinated and vaccines are available to everyone who wants it, let's par tay.  If you choose not to get one, good luck to you.

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

It does seem like the goal posts continue to move further and further back. First it was flatten the curve. Then crush the curve. Then not until we get 70% vaccinated. Then Fauci says 85% or 90% or 95%.  Then it was variants. Vaccine seems to handle variants. Now Fauci says the risk has to be so low (never says how low is so low). And now we can't cuz we don't know how long immunity lasts.

You're probably right on the next move.  We must vaccinate kids first.

Good luck enforcing this.

Once 70% are vaccinated and vaccines are available to everyone who wants it, let's par tay.  If you choose not to get one, good luck to you.

It comes down to the states as bluer states will be quicker to mandate the vaccine to kids if parents want their kids to attend public schools.  However, I expect most school districts throughout the country to mandate the covid vaccine for students by this coming fall like they do measles, polio, and hepatitis B.  Employers can also mandate vaccines so if you're a business owner it would be dumb not to.  The NFL will also have every right to mandate that all fans must show proof of vaccination papers if they want to fill stadiums again.

• Like (+1) 1

Folks want to argue about state-by-state policies and how effective lax vs stringent policies were when in reality the US as a whole just needed to be more united in our efforts to lower infection rates.

Living in a state with strict policies I can attest that folks stubbornly walked around without masks or social distancing and they were vocal about it being a political statement.

So hard to blame policies for failure when Americans don't have the grit or will to follow them.

My concern has always been mutations that would make Covid-19 more transmissable and/or lethal.

The more infections circulating the more opportunities for the virus to evolve...it is just a simple numbers game with random mutations.

We have heard of variants arising from countries with poor pandemic containment, UK variants, Brazil variants, and now the "California" US variant?

Study links the dramatic rise in cases in CA the past few months to a new more deadly variant...will likely account up to 90% of cases by the end of next month.

https://ktla.com/news/california/the-devil-is-already-here-coronavirus-variant-in-california-looks-increasingly-dangerous/

Is what it is.