The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

30 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

Ain’t no collectively solving this one. We’re fuct for life. Masks, life.  Distancing, always.  Kids, ***** off.  Go learn on your own.  Sports? Concerts? Only for the uber rich from here on out.  J&J shot? Whoopty frickin do. The metrics will be the same next winter.

When you tards wake up, don’t come crying to me.

That's funny as *****.

On 1/27/2021 at 3:52 AM, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I think it’s simply a reflection of a full year plus of restrictions for some but not for all, a reliance on the science mandated for some but not all, government fingers in the pie destroying some businesses and not others, and a recognition that the absolute safest place to be during this virus is to be In the employ of those pulling the lockdown strings.  Everyone else must fend for themselves. 

From a leadership perspective, a good start would be for Biden to implore teachers unions to do the right thing by the children and communities they serve to get the children back in school.   Or, appeal directly to the teachers to bypass the unions and show up to the classroom.  There are many, many teachers who believe it’s past time to do so, but are likely fearful of going against the grain. 

It’s difficult to be positive when your back is against the wall, your children are suffering and govt is dicking around.

I think you overestimate what schools would be like "if only teachers were willing."

I teach at a relatively large High School of about 2,000 students. All parents and students have an "opt-out" policy of in person learning. That means that any student must be allowed to learn fully virtually from home. I don't know if you disapprove of allowing this concession, but during a Pandemic, I think most would agree it's reasonable.

There are about 800 students who are 100% virtual at our school right now. And I live in the least affected state in our country as far as the Pandemic is concerned.

Parents in our country don't want to send their kids back to school during a Pandemic if they don't have to... and over the last year that term "have to" has been malleable in our country.

Pinning all or most of this on teachers is farcical and "getting students back into the classroom" isn't remotely :lol: what you think it is.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

11 hours ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

Ain’t no collectively solving this one. We’re fuct for life. Masks, life.  Distancing, always.  Kids, ***** off.  Go learn on your own.  Sports? Concerts? Only for the uber rich from here on out.  J&J shot? Whoopty frickin do. The metrics will be the same next winter.

When you tards wake up, don’t come crying to me.

Sounds like you are for sure.  I had it because the little bastids give it ta me.  I'm immune for a bit now.  Got a shot comin.  I plan on livin.  I will look you up the next time I need a dire crystal ball prediction from a crank.  This board is good for that. 

23 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Another 4,000 Americans up on the Biden Virus tote board yesterday. Nice plan Joe! How many pages is it again? 

It is unrealistic to think a new administration on day 9 can change things dramatically in that time frame.  But you know that, don't you?

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think you overestimate what schools would be like "if only teachers were willing."

I teach at a relatively large High School of about 2,000 students. All parents and students have an "opt-out" policy of in person learning. That means that any student must be allowed to learn fully virtually from home. I don't know if you disapprove of allowing this concession, but during a Pandemic, I think most would agree it's reasonable.

There are about 800 students who are 100% virtual at our school right now. And I live in the least affected state in our country as far as the Pandemic is concerned.

Parents in our country don't want to send their kids back to school during a Pandemic if they don't have to... and over the last year that term "have to" has been malleable in our country.

Pinning all or most of this on teachers is farcical and "getting students back into the classroom" isn't remotely :lol: what you think it is.

In NYS private schools have been open for some time now. Since at least October, I believe. My older has been in full time school since then and there haven't been any problems with in person learning with a full classroom so far.

My younger is still young enough that we aren't as worried about in person learning, he does well with virtual learning so he is still in public school, and learning from home.

Now, I glean a couple things from this.

1. Children of parents with means can still get a normal education. While children of lesser means are falling behind. 

2. Now watching what the buffalo teachers union is saying, I think they are over complicating getting the kids back to school. Teachers and kids CAN be in the classroom without covid running through the schools like wildfire. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

4,000 more yesterday Joe! You clearly haven’t finished reading all 400 pages of your Plan but can I suggest you hurry up. Here’s a hint....skip to the end. The answers are normally found in the back, or not.

With respect, you are being ridiculous. This is the 9th day of the new administration.

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

4,000 more yesterday Joe! You clearly haven’t finished reading all 400 pages of your Plan but can I suggest you hurry up. Here’s a hint....skip to the end. The answers are normally found in the back, or not.

"Virus is gonna virus"

Why aren't you blaming China now?

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I've read my comments a couple times and don't see where I ever said "if only teachers were willing.".  I'm not sure if someone else wrote that, or if you're summarizing my comments as you see fit, but you missed the point of my post.  

@Doc Brown had shared his perspective with another poster in stating "I'm don't really understand this fatalistic attitude you have..." as it related to @Big Blitz comments about schools, virtual classes and so on.  

My response dealt with the reasons that some people might well have just that attitude.  For those of us that followed the recommendations, it simply seems like the science is arbitrarily enforced, that COVID hovers over some large gatherings of people in major cities while seeking out Thanksgiving dinner with Grandma like a scud missile, and that school closings/lockdowns/virtual classes are problematic even given the pandemic.  Still, those of us questioning the rather odd application of science rules followed the guidelines and supported school closings and lockdowns.  To put it simply, it was what it was.

The world has shifted again. Dr. Faucci and the CDC are sending a different message, and the message is to follow CDC guidelines and get the children back in school.  For those in the profession that feel it's not safe, or the guidelines are not stringent enough, well they have the right to decide not to return to the classroom.  That's the type of difficult decision that people are confronted with everyday during non-pandemic times.  There are options--sick time, vacation/personal time, working virtually if the employer allows it and can accommodate the request, retirement, or maybe they should seek out other employment.  

Thanks for sharing some of the details about the school where you work.  What you've laid out is that 40% of the students are virtual, 60% attend live classes.  I'm not sure that makes the point you're trying to make.  It seems by extension that some of your peers are back at the school and working to serve the 1,200 students.  My point to Doc was that it seems there are many teachers who want to be in the classroom, and I have friends in NY who feel that way.  Did you feel that I was taking a shot at them? I wasn't, I think it's admirable--but not necessarily any more or less admirable than for everyone else who is at work.  For those that choose to stay virtual--if the district can manage it, if the results meet or exceed expectations for a quality learning experience, great.  If not, seems like science should prevail.  

As for parents wanting to keep their children at home, sure, some feel that way.  Many do not, and the frustration is mounting.  Here's an example:

https://www.foxcarolina.com/dad-rants-about-school-shutdown-in-viral-video/video_e58e7c3f-61b1-5010-a6c0-f7ed2bc975e7.html

Finally, I know you're a sensitive soul, but I don't see where I pinned anything on teachers.  I suggested Joe Biden should lead on the CDC/Faucci guidelines, and speak against scenarios like the Chicago union situation where it goes against guidance.   I'm not sure what's controversial about that.  

Anyway.  Glad to hear things are good in Hawaii.  

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

With respect, you are being ridiculous. This is the 9th day of the new administration.

But it's not the 9th day of his involvement in the crisis.  He's been relentless on the Trump,plan/no plan, relentless on how Joe is going to fix it, and should be very well-versed on numbers, delivery of vaccines and the Joe Plan.  He's been all about getting things done with some moxie and good old-fashioned elbow grease, but he botched the optics with his maskless family, he botched the optics of the inauguration with folks coming from near and far to party in the Capitol, and he seems to have a very flimsy grasp on the some of the numbers associated with vaccines, the virus and where it's all going.  In short, he seems confused an awful lot of the time. 

Heavy lies the crown. 

31 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I've read my comments a couple times and don't see where I ever said "if only teachers were willing.".  I'm not sure if someone else wrote that, or if you're summarizing my comments as you see fit, but you missed the point of my post.  

@Doc Brown had shared his perspective with another poster in stating "I'm don't really understand this fatalistic attitude you have..." as it related to @Big Blitz comments about schools, virtual classes and so on.  

My comment had more to do with his overall fatalistic view of the pandemic timeline in general when it came to going back to schools.  I said, "I don't really understand this fatalistic attitude you have unless you're just venting."  He's all over the place with some conspiratorial thoughts but is afraid that this virtual learning will go on for years.   

I just see it as paranoia.  You're going to have growing science of how this impacts kids less than the flue as far as both catching and spreading it and the growing pressure on the government to get people vaccinated (teachers included) we should reach herd immunity by the end of summer.  My prediction is schools will open fully next fall.  At the latest by January break.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He's all over the place with some conspiratorial thoughts

Correct and they will continue to evolve as goal posts continue to shift and everything continues to look as arbitrarily insane as they do now....

but is afraid that this virtual learning will go on for years.   

That and "social distancing."

My prediction is schools will open fully next fall.  At the latest by January break.

Why not all of 2021 to 2022?  The fact you know January 2022 (2 years to slow the spread) is an option should have every parent armed with torche.......oh wait can't talk like that or the Feds will get me.  

If fall, or January 2022 is what "experts" may be thinking to be fully open (I'm talking the people in charge) that needs to be expressed.  Simple enough.  Should alleviate a lot of mental stress and anxiety especially among the kids and their parents that are or watched their 1st grader lose a quarter year school (March 2020), all of 2nd grade (Fall to now and beyond), and will watch 3rd grade (Fall 2021 and beyond) go as well.  

Perfectly fine.  They'll be just fine.  

Now, they aren't saying anything close to that.  

Why?  Because I'm right.  This is indefinite. 

Years.  We told you #NewNormal was the plan and that's what's happening.  I can take a half full restaurant or mall.  I cannot take watching what's happening to these kids.  It's f....ing disgusting.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

If fall, or January 2022 is what "experts" may be thinking to be fully open (I'm talking the people in charge) that needs to be expressed.  Simple enough.  Should alleviate a lot of mental stress and anxiety especially among the kids and their parents that are or watched their 1st grader lose a quarter year school (March 2020), all of 2nd grade (Fall to now and beyond), and will watch 3rd grade (Fall 2021 and beyond) go as well.  

I said that's the worst case scenario.  Most experts are expecting fall of 2021.  Buffalo city schools are currently planning full in person learning starting March 1st from what I've been told.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Correct and they will continue to evolve as goal posts continue to shift and everything continues to look as arbitrarily insane as they do now....

That and "social distancing."

Why not all of 2021 to 2022?  The fact you know January 2022 (2 years to slow the spread) is an option should have every parent armed with torche.......oh wait can't talk like that or the Feds will get me.  

Perfectly fine.  They'll be just fine.  

Now, they aren't saying anything close to that.  

Why?  Because I'm right.  This is indefinite. 

Years.  We told you #NewNormal was the plan and that's what's happening.  I can take a half full restaurant or mall.  I cannot take watching what's happening to these kids.  It's f....ing disgusting.  

Agree with you man. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I said that's the worst case scenario.  Most experts are expecting fall of 2021.  Buffalo city schools are currently planning full in person learning starting March 1st from what I've been told.

Incorrect.  The learning was partial and only for preK-2 and some high school seniors.  Nowhere near anything "full."

And guess what?  Look what's going on:

iNdEfInAtE tILl ThE vAcCiNe jK........

.....we'll get back to you

It's never going to be "safe."  Ever.  

7460.gif

Edited by Big Blitz

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Incorrect.  The learning was partial and only for preK-2 and some high school seniors.  Nowhere near anything "full."

And guess what?  Look what's going on:

iNdEfInAtE tILl ThE vAcCiNe jK........

.....we'll get back to you

It's never going to be "safe."  Ever.  

7460.gif

I heard bleach does the trick.