The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Yep.

Since May just a bit above the June-Sept #s from 2019.  And Georgia and the Ozarks have been open since April.  

And why is that "threshold" number lower in Sept 2020 vs Sept 2019

Sept 7 2019 expected: 52,296

Sep 5, 2020 expected 51,992

Difference: ~300

Not sure why it changes but it does (weather, behavior?). 300 wouldn't make this a non-pandemic since we've been over the excess limit by 7-10K+ most weeks since the spring. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/10/06/trump-kills-stimulus-talks/

This isn't good, on top of him lying about the economy being good when it isn't he doesn't want any stimulus passed. Now he is squeezing the American people to try and force them to vote for him. It is disgusting he lies about the economy even when his own republicans say the economy is struggling. 

7 hours ago, TBBills said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/10/06/trump-kills-stimulus-talks/

This isn't good, on top of him lying about the economy being good when it isn't he doesn't want any stimulus passed. Now he is squeezing the American people to try and force them to vote for him. It is disgusting he lies about the economy even when his own republicans say the economy is struggling. 

Then if they pass it "he's bribing the voters."

J-O-K-E

Trump did the right thing here that showed courage lesser people would cave and would have bribed.....I mean stimulated you.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

Deaths way down. Really Good for a Tuesday. 

Hospitalizations up 11 days in a row. Hospitalizations up 20% in PA off their low a month ago. Still manageable but I’d like that trend to stop. 

How long are you going to keep this up? Forever? The pandemic has stabilized for months since the original breakout in the NY metro area. Our mask wearing, shut down warning approach simply isn’t working! All it’s doing is perpetuating the infection rate and elongating the curve.

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

How long are you going to keep this up? Forever? The pandemic has stabilized for months since the original breakout in the NY metro area. Our mask wearing, shut down warning approach simply isn’t working! All it’s doing is perpetuating the infection rate and elongating the curve.

Keep what up?

There’s a good downwards trend mostly and we have tons of hospital capacity but it’s noteworthy that there is a trend shift after so long in the right direction. 

There isn’t one thing that should have been closed since April 1 (and at that only in a few metro areas like NYC) and only older folks and larger gatherings should be careful and avoided, but not at all regulated. We should be wide open everywhere. 

So what do you want me to not “keep up?”

Edited by shoshin

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

Keep what up?

There’s a good downwards trend mostly and we have tons of hospital capacity. 

There isn’t one thing that should have been closed since April 1 (and at that only in a few metro areas like NYC) and only older folks and larger gatherings should be careful and avoided, but not at all regulated. 

So what do you want me to not “keep up?”

Thanks....you and I agree then that our national approach has been all wrong. Unless we change our strategy, and open things up (while protecting the elderly) the daily score keeping is like watching a leaky row boat slowly fill up with water. Eventually you’re all gonna get wet! 

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks....you and I agree then that our national approach has been all wrong. Unless we change our strategy, and open things up (while protecting the elderly) the daily score keeping is like watching a leaky row boat slowly fill up with water. Eventually you’re all gonna get wet! 

Yep I’ve been saying let’s be open since late March, though admittedly back then I was more concerned about the trajectory of this thing. The crap we are doing now with mandatory and voluntary closures is terrible. That doesn’t mean I’m back to the rave scene but I’m meeting clients who are willing, eating out where possible, and living life while following and respecting all the rules and requests of others. 

I’m a season ticket holder. How pissed am I to be watching this year from the couch?!?

Edited by shoshin

2 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Yep I’ve been saying let’s be open since late March, though admittedly back then I was more concerned about the trajectory of this thing. The crap we are doing now with mandatory and voluntary closures is terrible. That doesn’t mean I’m back to the rave scene but I’m meeting clients who are willing, eating out where possible, and living life while following and respecting all the rules and requests of others. 

Once again we agree. There are people out everywhere in Southern California. Restaurants are all open, albeit outside. Stores are busy. If this is a pandemic, it’s a really odd one! Let’s open up and deal with it. We know how to do it now.

• Like (+1) 1

Over 4,000 Doctors, Public Health Professionals Sign “Great Barrington Declaration,” Urging End to COVID-Restrictions

by Leslie Eastman

Original Article

Over 40,000 people, including over 4,000 epidemiologists, doctors, and public health professionals from around the world, have signed the “Great Barrington Declaration” that urges nations to return to normal life as the battle against the COVID-19 pandemic continues. “Called the Great Barrington Declaration, the group issued a letter saying “as infectious disease epidemiologists and public health scientists we have grave concerns about the damaging physical and mental health impacts of the prevailing COVID-19 policies, and recommend an approach we call Focused Protection. Those who are not vulnerable should immediately be allowed to resume life as normal. Simple hygiene measures, such as hand washing

The prolonged lockdown imposes devastating short and long-term public health problems and waiting until a vaccine becomes available “will cause irreparable damage,” particularly for the underprivileged. The goal is to reach herd immunity through efforts to minimize mortality and social harm—balancing risks and benefits--and is being called “Focused Protection.”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3