The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 hours ago, jhh9327 said:

Why is the conversation always only vaccinated versus unvaccinated?  We are about 1.5 years into this and have had 35 million cases in the US alone.  There is a lot of of people who have had it and recovered.  If those that fall into that group don't get the vaccine should they also be considered "the problem"?  Isn't there really 4 groups (vac/no COVID, vac/COVID recovered, no vac/no COVID, no vac/COVID recovered)?   Why is there so little data and info on reinfection rates and risk?    The "Science" world seems to have all the answers on a vaccine to treat the virus, but if you ask if the vaccine is needed if you are COVID recovered the responses that I find are all are some form of  "we don't know enough about that so just be super safe and get the vaccine too."   That isn't a satisfactory answer, IMO. 

I say this as someone who is vaccinated myself, but my wife and kids are not.  However, they all have had, and recovered from, COVID.   Kids were not eligible to get the vaccine when they got it and my wife and I had just become eligible.  I had my first poke a couple days before they all came down with it, which I do think caused me to avoid getting it myself (I was tested at the same time as my wife after one of the kids tested positive and I was tested several times after and I remained negative).  Kid's would have missed one day of school in normal circumstances from having a fever one day and then waiting 24 hours without it before letting them go back.  They sat in their rooms feeling fine and bored out of their minds for 2 weeks.  My wife was in bed like she had the flu for about 2 days though it did take a couple weeks before she felt fully normal again.  My wife's choice to continue to wait to get the vaccine is her own to make.  With the kids, I have a say,  and to be honest I don't have a compelling enough argument that they need something on top of their natural immunity now along with the low risk the virus itself presents them.  I'm open to reviewing data that can help reverse that current choice, but I haven't been able to find anything worthwhile. 

The irony is that the vaccinated diabetic sedentary person with a BMI of 35 is now "healthier" than an unvaccinated person who is not diabetic, not morbidly obese who exercises regularly.

Btw...the governor of Alabama...elderly and morbidly obese, vaccinated or not. She's got two strikes against her regardless how many vaccines she takes.

4 hours ago, dpberr said:

The irony is that the vaccinated diabetic sedentary person with a BMI of 35 is now "healthier" than an unvaccinated person who is not diabetic, not morbidly obese who exercises regularly.

Btw...the governor of Alabama...elderly and morbidly obese, vaccinated or not. She's got two strikes against her regardless how many vaccines she takes.

Not really.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sundancer said:

UK cases coming under control it would seem. Their vaccination campaign is a lot further along than ours but good to see.

With all due respect Sun, I’m thinking you need a much much larger sample size than a one or day case count to attribute it to anything, either good or bad. Remember, the entire population isn’t getting tested every day so by far the biggest variable is really just who went in for a test that day. 

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

With all due respect Sun, I’m thinking you need a much much larger sample size than a one or day case count to attribute it to anything, either good or bad. Remember, the entire population isn’t getting tested every day so by far the biggest variable is really just who went in for a test that day. 

You can only look at the same data point, over time. The UK may spike up again but after a sharp rise over 6-8 weeks to 75% of its high in cases, it’s down in the last week almost every day. 

And though deaths went up, they did not mirror waves one or two in terms of death/case. Lots of reasons possible for that but whatever the reason, that’s great news for us (for the vaccinated and the young…not going to help unvaxxed older and fat people and not going to comfort immune compromised people) as we start our Delta rise. 

Edited by Sundancer

11 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

You can only look at the same data point, over time. The UK may spike up again but after a sharp rise over 6-8 weeks to 75% of its high in cases, it’s down in the last week almost every day. 

And though deaths went up, they did not mirror waves one or two in terms of death/case. Lots of reasons possible for that but whatever the reason, that’s great news for us (for the vaccinated and the young…not going to help unvaxxed older and fat people and not going to comfort immune compromised people) as we start our Delta rise. 

I agree. You definitely have to selective in your data points. The longer you’re looking at and reporting on the same sourcing, the better.

Just now, Sundancer said:

Tell me what he said in that video that was wrong.

"Think again"...

Completely removing the agency of their citizen's right to choose what is best for themselves once their country is no longer in a State of Emergency doesn't seem right to me, sorry.  And I don't believe the current vaccine will "completely eradicate" COVID at all. Less deaths and severe illness, sure, but it can still be transmitted by vaccinated people, even to those who cannot get the vaccine because of health reasons. So essentially he is lying.

26 minutes ago, The_Ripster said:

"Think again"...

Completely removing the agency of their citizen's right to choose what is best for themselves once their country is no longer in a State of Emergency doesn't seem right to me, sorry.  And I don't believe the current vaccine will "completely eradicate" COVID at all. Less deaths and severe illness, sure, but it can still be transmitted by vaccinated people, even to those who cannot get the vaccine because of health reasons. So essentially he is lying.

Oh brother. 

Get vaccinated. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/22/2021 at 10:19 PM, Chef Jim said:

I’m not sure of your first point.  The vaccine is not a repellent. They just have the immunity to keep themselves from getting sick.  From what I’ve read there seems to be mixed ideas as to the chances of a vaccinated person passing it in to a non-vaccinated person. 

Frank Reich, fully vaccinated,and asymptomatic has tested positive and now is going to have to miss the start of training camp. 

This is crazy, the way this is all being handled 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/colts-coach-frank-reich-former-bills-quarterback-tests-positive-for-covid-19/article_deae23e4-ee2a-11eb-8f63-936c5d32ffd9.html

Edited by TSOL

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2021/07/26/phil-valentine-coronavirus-brother-mark-interview-nr-vpx.cnn

Conservative radio host who probably helped convince who knows how many not to get vaccinated gets covid himself. 

Cant say I feel sorry for the guy. Who knows how many were hurt because of him and others like Trump. The numbers will never been quantified, so the right wing gets to hide their deadly actions in the dark. 

9 hours ago, TSOL said:

Frank Reich, fully vaccinated,and asymptomatic has tested positive and now is going to have to miss the start of training camp. 

This is crazy, the way this is all being handled 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/colts-coach-frank-reich-former-bills-quarterback-tests-positive-for-covid-19/article_deae23e4-ee2a-11eb-8f63-936c5d32ffd9.html

That shows that those who refuse to get vaccinated are a danger to others 

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2021/07/26/phil-valentine-coronavirus-brother-mark-interview-nr-vpx.cnn

Conservative radio host who probably helped convince who knows how many not to get vaccinated gets covid himself. 

Cant say I feel sorry for the guy. Who knows how many were hurt because of him and others like Trump. The numbers will never been quantified, so the right wing gets to hide their deadly actions in the dark. 

Trump isn’t anti vaccines. Nice try though. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

That's what you take from this? Unvaccinated people caused this?

We're you dropped on the head alot as a child?

2 minutes ago, TSOL said:

That's what you take from this? Unvaccinated people caused this?

We're you dropped on the head alot as a child?

Caused, no. Driving up cases, deaths, hospitalizations unnecessarily in the US as we enter August 2021, yes. 

• Like (+1) 1