The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

....This puts the US at a disadvantage as the virus continues to morph, doing its best to survive. With Delta around, we know vaccinated people are not as well protected as they once were. Now, we risk missing the signals of a more dangerous variant - something that our existing vaccines would barely combat...

Dean said, given the low level of testing and sequencing being done on fully vaccinated people right now, there's no way the US can keep tabs on the virus well enough. If we want to know how decent the vaccine protection of the country really is, Dean said, we need to know when vaccinated people are getting infected, what variant they have, and how severe their case is.

"It's very concerning to me that we're 20 months into the pandemic and we don't have that capability yet," she said. "The technology has to move faster than the pathogen."

https://www.businessinsider.com/fully-vaccinated-people-not-immune-to-covid-milder-2021-7

Carry on.  

1 minute ago, ALF said:

Delta is strong enough to infect vaccinated people with mild or no symptoms , but it hammers the unvaccinated and spreads easier.

It does the same thing Covid 1.0 does.  Is it more contagious?  I guess if you believe them.  Whatever you choose.  

I'll refer to Chairman Cuomo:

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

There is NO variant that is stronger than the original virus in history.

Delta has been determined to be MORE contagious than the Alpha, but is not as deadly.

BHATTACHARYA: I don't know. It continues a trend of politicization of the disease and of the response to the disease that is really unfortunate. And I think, you know, just to highlight what they ought to be saying.

The vaccine in some ways, and actually, in many ways, the roll out in the United States and the U.K. has been an enormous success. We have decoupled cases from deaths because the vaccine -- I mean, it does protect against severe disease, especially among the old who face a very high risk of death and hospitalization, maybe four or five percent if they get infected. This protects against that, I mean quite effectively, not a hundred percent, but quite effectively.

The cases are rising in the U.K., yet the deaths haven't risen. They have solved COVID in some sense. They have now have focused protection. They should be cheering the success to the sky. Instead, we have this demonization and blame and politicization, which has characterized much of the public health's sort of response to the epidemic and is really unfortunate.

CARLSON: So, the Prime Minister -- and I don't want to pile on poor Boris Johnson who does seem to be failing at his job, unfortunately -- but he is essentially putting the country into a new series of lockdowns. You're hearing politicians here suggest that we may get another round of those in this country.

Why at this moment, would we do that?

BHATTACHARYA: It makes no sense actually. The lockdowns didn't succeed in controlling the virus the last time. We have a variant, the delta variant, which is more infectious and I mean, according to the reports it's still uncertain, but less -- it is probably likely less deadly than the other variants we've had.

The lockdowns didn't work then, why should they work now?
And they will continue and have continued to impose enormous costs. Actually today was Freedom Day in the U.K. This should have been a day of celebration and yet, we've had this sort of specter of another lockdown pulled over in front of us.

I think it's a mistake. I think we should be declaring a great success with the vaccine roll out with COVID. We've decoupled cases from deaths. We've achieved focused protection.

CARLSON: Yes. It is hard for political actors to declare victory if it means relinquishing power as you may have noticed.

https://www.foxnews.com/transcript/tucker-democrats-claim-that-were-in-a-pandemic-of-the-unvaccinated-is-simply-untrue.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Dr. Jay Bhattacharya. He is a Professor of Medicine at Stanford.

I'm not sure if he is Facebook verified.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, B-Man said:

There is NO variant that is stronger than the original virus in history.

I know you post a lot of nonsense from behind the veil of Tweets but this is absurd. 

The long term trend of viruses is for them to weaken but there absolutely are virus mutations that get more deadly. Ebola, Spanish Flu come quickly to mind. 

21 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Delta has been determined to be MORE contagious than the Alpha, but is not as deadly.

Whether it’s more or less deadly is not yet certain but it is perhaps less, however if it’s more contagious, it could kill more unvaccinated people. See India and more young people in the hospital in general. 

Virginia has interesting data on deaths, cases, and hospitalization by vaccine status. 

https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/covid-19-data-insights/covid-19-cases-by-vaccination-status/

It will be interesting to watch this as cases rise in the next month. It’s currently telling the same story we see everywhere. Unvaccinated people spreading and hospitalizing each other. 

5 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Virginia has interesting data on deaths, cases, and hospitalization by vaccine status. 

https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/covid-19-data-insights/covid-19-cases-by-vaccination-status/

It will be interesting to watch this as cases rise in the next month. It’s currently telling the same story we see everywhere. Unvaccinated people spreading and hospitalizing each other. 

So if they are spreading to each other what's the concern? 

• Like (+1) 1

Exactly.  They have made the conscious decision “I’m okay rolling the dice if I catch it.”

Poloncarz’ comments yesterday about possible shutdowns “if cases rise dramatically” were extremely troubling.

https://www.wgrz.com/amp/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-numbers/erie-county-will-reconsider-restrictions-if-covid-19-cases-keep-going-up/71-e83b544d-c0c4-43ea-9fc4-5818165a1169

The whole un-questioning  “they’re going to shut us down again if everyone doesn’t get the jab!!!” mindset is extremely bizarre.

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Asking you to clarify your position as to why the GA Bill is Jim Crow on steroids is incomprehensible gibberish?   :lol:

Real men admit when they are wrong.  

Later Troll........

Asked, and asked, and asked, and asked again, then asked some more. And answered prior to your redundant questioning.  Do your research, Chef Jim Crow.  

12 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Asked, and asked, and asked, and asked again, then asked some more. And answered prior to your redundant questioning.  Do your research, Chef Jim Crow.  

Yup.....I'm the immature one.  

Later Troll.......