The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Fauci: Coronavirus pandemic showed 'undeniable effects of racism in our society'

Anthony Fauci, the government's top infectious diseases expert, said Sunday the COVID-19 pandemic had exposed racial disparities in living conditions and access to healthcare across the U.S. that required serious action to fix....

"Let us promise ourselves our memory of this tragic reality - that an infectious disease disparately kills people of color - does not fade," Fauci continued. "Righting this wrong will take a decades-long commitment. I urge you to be part of that commitment."

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/553790-fauci-coronavirus-pandemic-showed-undeniable-effects-of-racism

Anti-maskers and COVID deniers have been yelling about 'freedom' since the pandemic began. Now many of them are standing in the way of America's actual freedom.

https://www.businessinsider.com/anti-maskers-anti-vaxxers-standing-between-us-real-freedom-2021-5

Yes we have.  Because we know how rare it is in human history......well the smart ones know.  

But they know how stupid you are.  This is an embarrassment to Western Civilization.  

Edited by Big Blitz

4 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Fauci: Coronavirus pandemic showed 'undeniable effects of racism in our society'

Anthony Fauci, the government's top infectious diseases expert, said Sunday the COVID-19 pandemic had exposed racial disparities in living conditions and access to healthcare across the U.S. that required serious action to fix....

"Let us promise ourselves our memory of this tragic reality - that an infectious disease disparately kills people of color - does not fade," Fauci continued. "Righting this wrong will take a decades-long commitment. I urge you to be part of that commitment."

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/553790-fauci-coronavirus-pandemic-showed-undeniable-effects-of-racism

Anti-maskers and COVID deniers have been yelling about 'freedom' since the pandemic began. Now many of them are standing in the way of America's actual freedom.

https://www.businessinsider.com/anti-maskers-anti-vaxxers-standing-between-us-real-freedom-2021-5

Yes we have.  Because we know how rare it is in human history......well the smart ones know.  

But they know how stupid you are.  This is an embarrassment to Western Civilization.  

Ah yes, Dr Fauci who said we would be wearing masks for a year.... two weeks ago.

More from that insane oped:

"Their argument against these common-sense precautions is personal freedom. The only problem with this logic, or lack thereof, is that their claims to freedom are causing the rest of us to lose ours.

It would be nice to be able to dine inside with no worry, go to the movies in a packed theater, or enjoy any of the other freedoms we enjoyed before the pandemic."

That's right.

Freedom now means you can go to Olive Garden confident EVERYONE is vaccinated.

Incredible.

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Agree 1

On 5/15/2021 at 2:07 PM, LeGOATski said:

I never felt locked up, personally. Wore a mask and went about my daily life.

But that's a pretty straightforward question. We distanced ourselves to lessen the spread of the virus.

I think the experiences of the WFH employee, the small business owner and the employee in a non wFH trade or profession, and those that were laid off or furloughed due to the lockdown policies are *very* different.

The most vocal group for masks and lockdowns I encounter are the WFH crowd who felt no economic hardship.   They remained fully employed, never lost a dollar.  They didn't lose a business.  They didn't lose months of income from that business.  They didn't have to layoff people they know.   They weren't forced to work in the summer heat with a mask on, working in a factory with it on, or wear it for an 8-12 hour shift.  They didn't have to quit their job because the daycare closed and couldn't reopen.   

I don't think people would have cared much at all about masks if the economy stayed open, and it certainly could have.  

On 5/15/2021 at 9:44 PM, Big Blitz said:

No he doesn't.

There is no way he's going out in public with no mask while his "kids" are wearing them.  ZERO.  None.

He may be a firm solid member of the Branch Covidians and he wears one all the time anyway.  Raising solid little followers in the Church.

My Kids, who are actual real humans that need interaction that includes people seeing their faces, will not be wearing them, because their very whiny belligerent angry Dad ditches his permanently......and will not committ child abuse by making them wear the worthless face diaper.  

It's science bro.  

It's your science, which is a complete egotistical farce, as are you.  My kids, who are actual humans also aren't such melodramatic chicken-littles because their dad is not.  

I feel for your children, when years later they have to attempt to unpack what love you do show them from the overbearing, self-absorbed, toxic personality that is their father.  I only pray it goes well for them and they can live happy, productive lives.

Oh yeah, subjugated to wear masks forever.  Keep up the stupid.  Child abuse.

Carry on, deranged whiner-king.  

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

I think the experiences of the WFH employee, the small business owner and the employee in a non wFH trade or profession, and those that were laid off or furloughed due to the lockdown policies are *very* different.

The most vocal group for masks and lockdowns I encounter are the WFH crowd who felt no economic hardship.   They remained fully employed, never lost a dollar.  They didn't lose a business.  They didn't lose months of income from that business.  They didn't have to layoff people they know.   They weren't forced to work in the summer heat with a mask on, working in a factory with it on, or wear it for an 8-12 hour shift.  They didn't have to quit their job because the daycare closed and couldn't reopen.   

I don't think people would have cared much at all about masks if the economy stayed open, and it certainly could have.  

It certainly could have and probably will in the future because all those small/business owners will now listen and do what's needed.   As opposed to last spring when  the ones around me refused to make shop/workplace changes because they didn't actually believe they'd get shut down.  

On 5/16/2021 at 4:04 AM, plenzmd1 said:

Wow. Not having the ability to worship together ,to be present at the death of a loved one to comfort them as they journey to the next stage,to celebrate the beginning a new life at childbirth or a new marriage union,

to break bread with my fellow human beings in a restaurant, not being able to gather at sporting events to celebrate our collective communities. 

I have two college students that have basically missed 1/2 of their college experience , therefore all the personal growth that comes from that, to a virus that statistically   kills less college aged student than alcohol overdoses. 

But it’s great you wore a mask and feel your life did not change.I mean after all, that’s what really matters eh? Your life was not affected, screw the people who’s entire lives were disrupted or who could not say goodbye to loved one.  

The CDC, therefore government , knew more than a year ago this was airborne. They know that meant cloth masks and distancing were useless, just making people feel better about the useless guindance they had given in the first month of the pandemic , all based on influenza.   As we know, this was no flu. They knew 2 feet, 6 feet, twenty feet, none of it mattered, it was airborne. They know aerosols are only stopped by a n95 mask, yet they doubled and tripled down on that useless guidance to make folks have a false sense of security. They knew it did not transmit outside, that’s why they did not stop the protests. But they did not have the will nor the political fortitude to completely stop the spread and shut everything down, they doubled down on awful guidelines to appease the masses and let everyone feel they were sacrificing for the greater good. “

“ hey, I mask up, I stand 6 feet way, I am a good person and doing my part”. 

and it worked to a tee.  Tell some one a lie often enough and have the right sources shout it enough, even when the facts stare them in the face and tell them Otherwise , and they will believe. And it’s human nature to want to believe ,

to “‘do your part” I get it. It’s also political nature to gain as mush control as possible, by any means necessary. 

Let this sink in. ‘We are not ready for people to be free this quick”. in the GD US of A. Not ready for people to be free this quick. Wow, and so many people agree with that statement. 

There is a very good series on the PBS Doc channel on Amazon. Called The Dictator’s Platbook. . Details the rise  and fall of 8 or so dictators in separate episodes, and the commonalities of their reigns. All of them have one thing in common...Control of the message around a common enemy. and convincing their governed that what they were going through was for the collective good and to defeat this ENEMY.  Their government was there to protect and advance. Our leaders are just using Covid instead of another nation. 

you should watch it, may open your eyes to what we have experienced the last 16 months.. from both parties mind you. 

You do understand that virus spread is airborne, spread on water particles of all sizes?  Larger and smaller?

You do understand that the MIT paper focused on the smallest particles able to remain airborne?  They admitted in the paper they did not focus on spread via the larger droplets but explicitly stated wearing masks indoors for short times is your safest bet.

And, they completely ignored the fact that when you go indoors to a bar or restaurant, the masks come off when eating/drinking and hence the distancing becomes important to limit transmission via the larger water particles.

Just because they're at MIT and capable of good research doesn't mean the research is immune to personal bias.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I am not saying every country that implemented "social distancing" ( i say lockdown) is a dictatorship, but stripping away individual freedoms and relaying on non scientific data( case counts and CFR and IFR in red states vs blue) to make policy leads to an enemy that is just not there.. The lock downs, masks , school decisions, governemnt wlefare  became exactly  what you said, political decisions that were over reactions to a president so many disliked and despised,including me. If you doubt me,look at the sheer millions of posts of twitter saying " I don't care whether wearing a mask is effective or not, i will wear it just so people don't think i am conservative or  MAGA. You don't  think that is an over reaction and politicized? You dont think that kind of thinking extends beyond masks?

Add to that overdoes deaths up 20%, discussion about what this lost year of in person learning will do to our children, violent crime up dramatically in our cities, inflation running rampant, asset inflation that is only widening the wealth gap in this country based on policy decisions that do not reflect the reality of whats happening in the country.. ...and it all adds up to way more than " wear a mask and go about your daily life". 

I saw that Fauci gave the commencement address at Emory University this past weekend.  He took the opportunity to discuss the role racism and society played with respect to COVID in historically disenfranchised communities.   

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/16/fauci-racism-covid-us-black-hispanic-native-americans-emory-university-graduation

I've tried over the past year and a half to figure out what the deal is with this guy.  Is he science dude, or science douche?  There is little debate that he had a crisis of almost incomprehensible proportions to handle, and he certainly should be given some leeway to misspeak, provide conflicting guidance and be given an allowance for the knowledge on COVID to develop and change.  

Still, here he is discussing the impact of this virus on communities, no doubt inspiring some in the crowd to get out in the world and do more, to leave the world better than it is today.  

However, I'm struck by these comments when juxtaposed to his very tepid and impotent guidance during last summer's extended massive demonstrations.  Here he is when asked about the mass gatherings last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyNzVbnr2dI

Where was the passion, the leadership, the recognition that the virus was decimating communities and inflicting massive pain and loss on the very people he's speaking of now?  Surely he knew that the people gathering en masse would lead to spread directly to the most vulnerable in society, and that death and pain would follow like night to day.  

With each passing day, he appears much more Science Douche than Dude.  I'm up to three or four different scenarios:

1. He's an incompetent buffoon who should have retired eons ago;

2. He truly believed what he said, but was fearful of being targeted by social justice warriors if he provided the type of guidance that would have significantly reduced the spread.  In other words, his priority was virtue signaling, not preventing loss of life;

3. He knew early on that masks and distancing guidelines were ineffective, but chose to push forward for some political/behavior modification reasons yet to be revealed;

4.  He's a hard core eugenicist, recognizing that allowing folks to gather while paying lip service to non-recommended behavior would lead to the inevitable, and the inevitable was the desirable goal;

5.  He's the victim of a series of unfortunate events that were completely beyond his control.

Unfortunately, #5 seems the most unlikely of all. Something is not right here.

5 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

You do understand that virus spread is airborne, spread on water particles of all sizes?  Larger and smaller?

You do understand that the MIT paper focused on the smallest particles able to remain airborne?  They admitted in the paper they did not focus on spread via the larger droplets but explicitly stated wearing masks indoors for short times is your safest bet.

And, they completely ignored the fact that when you go indoors to a bar or restaurant, the masks come off when eating/drinking and hence the distancing becomes important to limit transmission via the larger water particles.

Just because they're at MIT and capable of good research doesn't mean the research is immune to personal bias.

Speaking of MIT - Massachusetts is dropping all COVID-19 restrictions as of May 29th..

OMG - JOE BIDEN CURED COVID-19!!!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dpberr said:

Absolutely true.  The govt created a have/have not class, and sheltering in place at full salary actually created a bit of a windfall for the haves.  No gas, no tolls, no need to stop at Dunkin on the way in, eat at home, etc.....

But, those tax bills came as scheduled with the obligatory warning that any late payment would be met with a tax penalty, even though the tax offices in many locales were closed.  

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

It certainly could have and probably will in the future because all those small/business owners will now listen and do what's needed.   As opposed to last spring when  the ones around me refused to make shop/workplace changes because they didn't actually believe they'd get shut down.  

Maybe, but business owners often are quick to recognize hypocrisy and bullshyt in action, and are likely less compliant than the average guy on the street.  The pandemic lockdown would have ended in 15 minutes if govt employees were impacted in the way people who “refused” to watch their livelihoods evaporate overnight were impacted.  

Pushing forward—I’d be hard pressed to believe lockdowns are in my best interests moving forward, and there is ample reason to feel as such.  First time, I shut down, moved folks to remote, paid the costs associated with distancing and the plexiglassamania and generally served as a compliant citizen.  

3 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

It's your science, which is a complete egotistical farce, as are you.  My kids, who are actual humans also aren't such melodramatic chicken-littles because their dad is not.  

I feel for your children, when years later they have to attempt to unpack what love you do show them from the overbearing, self-absorbed, toxic personality that is their father.  I only pray it goes well for them and they can live happy, productive lives.

Oh yeah, subjugated to wear masks forever.  Keep up the stupid.  Child abuse.

Carry on, deranged whiner-king.  

Yep.

My science My Truth.

Hope your kids don't get Parkinsons at age 50 or anything.  Same goes for us.  

Or am I just making that up?  

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

‘Our freedoms do NOT belong to you’

"Receive this injection into your body and we'll restore your freedoms"

Orwell was an amateur.

Wow.  

Wow.  Full Nazi. 

But I'm the Whiner King at least I have that!