The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Someone help out a dummy here. Let’s say I refuse to get the vaccine how am I hurting those that have been vaccinate? 

The vaccine won't work on some people with very weak immune systems.  They have to rely on the people around them to be vaccinated until herd immunity is reached.  My brother falls into this category with Crohn's disease as the spike protein blood test just came back negative (he got his second Moderna shot on March 26th).  He's home bound until we either reach herd immunity or until they come out with a vaccine that will produce antibodies for people like him (like they did with the TIV vaccine for the flu).

• Thank you (+1) 1

No vaccine is 100% effective. There will always be a small percentage of outliers for whom it is not. However, that fact should not override personal freedom. Still not affecting vaccinated people, as I cannot be considered vaccinated if the vaccine doesn’t work for me, for example. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

13 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The vaccine won't work on some people with very weak immune systems.  They have to rely on the people around them to be vaccinated until herd immunity is reached.  My brother falls into this category with Crohn's disease as the spike protein blood test just came back negative (he got his second Moderna shot on March 26th).  He's home bound until we either reach herd immunity or until they come out with a vaccine that will produce antibodies for people like him (like they did with the TIV vaccine for the flu).

Actually they have to rely on what they've been doing up until now to keep safe, until an alternative treatment is available for them.  You can't count on others to keep you safe.

Edited by Doc
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Any idea what percentage of the population falls into this category? 

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

Actually they have to rely on what they've been doing up until now to keep safe, until an alternative treatment is available for them.  You can't count on others to keep you safe.

True but he's willing to take some more risks once the case rate falls low enough.  Another argument for everyone getting the vaccine is there are people who get the vaccine that assume it worked (but it doesn't for whatever reason).  The more vaccinated people around them in public the better off we all are.

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Any idea what percentage of the population falls into this category? 

No.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

And kids, and kids of parents who don't do vaccines. And keeping cases low keeps mutations limited. 

No one should be shamed or forced to be vaccinated but it does make sense. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillStime said:

And whats the reason?

1 minute ago, 716er said:

Care to share or you just interested in continuing the blow on that dog whistle? 

Dog whistle?  LOL! 

Get bent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1