The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

On 4/18/2021 at 4:26 PM, Chef Jim said:

I’m not referring to specific virus. Why did the Spanish flu cases drop dramatically (better)?

@Sundancer  This is the post of mine you quoted.   Why did Spanish Flue cases drop dramatically in 1919?  Can anything be learned from that?  

1 hour ago, Melon said:

b62ce7b7f899843966a1f865bb3be249.jpg

You're confused as to what post of mine you were quoting.   Sorry you can't follow along.  

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

@Sundancer  This is the post of mine you quoted.   Why did Spanish Flue cases drop dramatically in 1919?  Can anything be learned from that?  

You're confused as to what post of mine you were quoting.   Sorry you can't follow along.  

I've been responding to the first dumb post over and over. You can keep saying that you didn't say the Spanish Flu "went away" but of course you actually did and I've quoted it twice and the peanut gallery did a couple times too. Either withdraw that wrong statement or just keep dancing. 

It's OK to say you were wrong on the internet. 

13 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

I've been responding to the first dumb post over and over. You can keep saying that you didn't say the Spanish Flu "went away" but of course you actually did and I've quoted it twice and the peanut gallery did a couple times too. Either withdraw that wrong statement or just keep dancing. 

It's OK to say you were wrong on the internet. 

I reiterated my wording which you’ve quoted. Stop with the semantics BS and simply answer my question.  Why did the number of cases and deaths of the Spanish Flu drop dramatically in the summer/fall of 1919?

On 4/18/2021 at 10:17 AM, Chef Jim said:

Anecdote time.

I cure my own sausages.  I spray them with a bacteria.  It's a "good" bacteria designed to protect the sausages from "bad" bacteria.  That's the white mold you see on certain cured meat.  When they are fully cured the mold his too much so I wipe it off.  I noticed I was getting congested after doing that.  Mold in your lungs is very scary.  So 2020 rolls around and I have all sorts of masks to use.  I had two batches done over two weekends.  I wear my cheap blue "paper" mask one week.  Chest is congested.  Week two I switch to my dense cloth mask.  Guess what?  Chest was congested. So my little experiment shows masks may not work?  

Explain my story.  

Surgical and basic cloth masks primarily filter (trap) and slow down what is coming out of your nose and mouth.  They offer little to some protection from incoming air (depending on a number of factors), which would be further reduced if you're developing an allergic reaction to the mold.  Get a real sealing mask with filters and wipe them down outdoors is an open, well-ventilated area.  Use of a fan, also.

On 4/18/2021 at 6:55 AM, oldmanfan said:

I could post rebuttals as well as do my own to this article.  It ignores the fact that the virus is spread primarily by droplets and aerosols and not as free virus.  It ignores that the studies of hypoxia involve only N95 masks.  And so on.  But you have made it abundantly clear you don’t care about actual science and want to wallow in self-pity.

https://www.amgenbiotechexperience.com/seeing-not-necessarily-believing

Despite its official-looking source and format, this article appeared in the journal Medical Hypotheses. This journal’s purpose (according to the publisher) "is to publish interesting theoretical papers.” They go on to say that the journal will “consider radical, speculative and non-mainstream scientific ideas provided they are coherently expressed.” When you search for Medical Hypotheses on the internet, you’ll find that it is not conventionally peer-reviewed (reviewed and fact-checked by a team of experts in the field to avoid publishing misinformation). 

I think this about covers it, especially if you choose to read the article.  Of course the right wing tweetards will pump it as a gospel study.

Edited by GaryPinC

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

I reiterated my wording which you’ve quoted. Stop with the semantics BS and simply answer my question.  Why did the number of cases and deaths of the Spanish Flu drop dramatically in the summer/fall of 1919?

This is as close as you can get to saying you were wrong? 

Assuming you understand that you were 100% wrong to say it "went away," I already answered this. 

28 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Surgical and basic cloth masks primarily filter (trap) and slow down what is coming out of your nose and mouth.  They offer little to some protection from incoming air (depending on a number of factors), which would be further reduced if you're developing an allergic reaction to the mold.  Get a real sealing mask with filters and wipe them down outdoors is an open, well-ventilated area.  Use of a fan, also.

Thanks Gary!   My wife mentioned a fan.  

5 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

This is as close as you can get to saying you were wrong? 

Assuming you understand that you were 100% wrong to say it "went away," I already answered this. 

I was 100000% wrong saying it went away.  

Now why did the number of case from the Spanish Flu drop dramatically in the summer/fall of 1919? 

I'm sorry. You did say it was because herd immunity.  Are we or are we not slowing down herd immunity by us all being deathly afraid of catching Covid?  To be fair we all aren't deathly afraid of catching it.  I'm not.  

Edited by Chef Jim

Not that I wish him bad results, but Ted Nugent, the guy who denied the pandemic, who hates vaccines, is very very ill with Covid and changed his position. 

So Chef, Nugent had no fear, 'til now...please stay safe. 

We need the humor your opinions bring😁

41 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Not that I wish him bad results, but Ted Nugent, the guy who denied the pandemic, who hates vaccines, is very very ill with Covid and changed his position. 

So Chef, Nugent had no fear, 'til now...please stay safe. 

We need the humor your opinions bring😁

Niagara, as I’ve suggested many times before, if you are personally concerned about catching Covid then please take all of the personal precautions that you feel are necessary. It’s pretty simple really.

The fact that some aging rock musician caught the virus has literally zero influence on how I’m dealing with the potential for my exposure. 

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Niagara, as I’ve suggested many times before, if you are personally concerned about catching Covid then please take all of the personal precautions that you feel are necessary. It’s pretty simple really.

The fact that some aging rock musician caught the virus has literally zero influence on how I’m dealing with the potential for my exposure. 

Actually, not worried about how you deal with the virus. A surf board seems like a safe place with no mask, "Surfin USA", or "In my Room" for SoCal dude and his "Barbara Ann" know what's best.

I was responding Chef J. 

1 minute ago, Niagara Bill said:

Actually, not worried about how you deal with the virus. A surf board seems like a safe place with no mask, "Surfin USA", or "In my Room" for SoCal dude and his "Barbara Ann" know what's best.

I was responding Chef J. 

And....Back to the juvenile surfer references. You’re clearly unaware of your prejudice on full display every time you post this crap...right? I’m sure your responses would be decidedly different if you were referring to some liberal centric defended ‘protected class’. 

16 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Thanks Gary!   My wife mentioned a fan.  

I was 100000% wrong saying it went away.  

Now why did the number of case from the Spanish Flu drop dramatically in the summer/fall of 1919? 

I'm sorry. You did say it was because herd immunity.  Are we or are we not slowing down herd immunity by us all being deathly afraid of catching Covid?  To be fair we all aren't deathly afraid of catching it.  I'm not.  

Sure, you must continue your valuable work!😉 

https://www.amazon.com/3M-142-5303-Facepiece-Disposable-Respirator/dp/B01HMF80O8/ref=asc_df_B01HMF80O8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309707611836&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13199722352912629504&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015308&hvtargid=pla-569957100225&psc=1

I use something like this, you can find them at Lowe's/HD or a hardware store.  Even though bulky and ugly, they work.  In your situation this is what I'd do:  wear disposable gloves and mask,  use a damp wiping cloth and afterwards immediately rinse down/wash the wiping cloth and hands/arms before removing mask.  Definitely outdoors/open area (very important) with a fan.     If I still had congestion issues, I'd shower off immediately afterwards too.  Hopefully that would take care of the congestion.

I'd do 6 months of max precautions then forego only the mask and see if my immune system has now desensitized to the mold.  I'd minimally continue to do it well-ventilated outdoors with a damp cloth to avoid a recurrence and would probably keep the fan/gloves also.

Regarding Covid, last year it quickly showed the ability abroad (and in NYC) to overwhelm health care systems.  Our medical professionals had no concrete, proven ways to treat this novel virus.  We were absolutely trying to slow down infectivity and unintentionally herd immunity to gain time to enable scientific and medical knowledge, and for successful treatments to become available.

For me as a scientist, there are 3 scary things about this virus:  1) It utilizes the ace-2 receptor, which is ubiquitous to all parts of the body including the brain 2) asymptomatic spread 3) The number of bizarre and/or debilitating effects on people of all ages who survive and never appear in the "death" statistics.

Simply put, the more Covid circulates, the more it mutates and you risk young people becoming more afflicted or these non-lethal effects amplifying in number and intensity.  Might it not happen?  Sure, but there is no one who can say how a freely circulating and mutating Covid will change but the warning signs are frightening.  It's too bad most just fixate on past statistics. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

And....Back to the juvenile surfer references. You’re clearly unaware of your prejudice on full display every time you post this crap...right? I’m sure your responses would be decidedly different if you were referring to some liberal centric defended ‘protected class’. 

Now now now! Such a thin skin....you should be proud of Surfin USA, great music, along with John and Denny, singing" and no one getting fat except Mama Cass".

Dude, didn't know surfin was a protected class. I always thought Moon Doggy and Gidg were just plain middle class. Always had the greatest respect for Haight Ashbury folks ( know that is NoCal).

Thanks for letting me know that I am stereotyping someone who calls himself SoCal.

Now don't you dare tell me to jump over the falls. 🙃

19 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

The virus probably mutated to become less lethal combined with some immunity. That's the theory--no one knows.

19 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I'm not either. Wasn't before I got the vaccine and am not now. It may kill me. It may not. So might my drive to Home Depot this weekend. Whatevs. 

I am against the lockdowns but are we slowing down herd immunity by doing them? I assume so but I haven't seen anything convincing on what % of the herd needs to get it before herd immunity sets in.