The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

What a joke.  The very liberal White House just said yesterday that they will not order any Federal Vaccine mandate (as of now).  

But don't stop dividing us NY Times.  You do you.  Cultural flash point?  My God these people are sick.  

Screenshot_20210407-093850_One UI Home.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

@DrDawkinstein I didn’t want to reply to you on TSW because it’s delving into an area more political, but:

“If you all want full attendance (which we all do) then we should be pushing to make sure everyone gets vaccinated, and we hit that 70% level asap.

If people still want to make a juvenile stand about "choice" then it will be their fault when we arent back to 100% open and we can't go to Bills games.”

The whole point of the shutdowns / drastically reduced attendance was to protect THE ELDERLY AND MOST VULNERABLE.  (There’s a significant overlap in the Venn Diagram of those two groups, btw).

As per Poloncarz’ presser yesterday, over 70.6% of the 65+ crowd in Erie County has been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.   67% statewide.  Those numbers will continue to grow over the next couple months, at which point you’ll be left with the stubborn folks who just don’t want the vaccine for whatever reason.

We CANNOT keep moving the goalposts.  This idea that the whole have to be punished because of a few is completely bizarre and unhealthy.  People have lives to lead.

That being said, our local and state leadership has proven themselves to be completely incompetent (in a whole host of areas), so I fear that’s what will happen this coming Bills season unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

@DrDawkinstein I didn’t want to reply to you on TSW because it’s delving into an area more political, but:

“If you all want full attendance (which we all do) then we should be pushing to make sure everyone gets vaccinated, and we hit that 70% level asap.

If people still want to make a juvenile stand about "choice" then it will be their fault when we arent back to 100% open and we can't go to Bills games.”

The whole point of the shutdowns / drastically reduced attendance was to protect THE ELDERLY AND MOST VULNERABLE.  (There’s a significant overlap in the Venn Diagram of those two groups, btw).

As per Poloncarz’ presser yesterday, over 70.6% of the 65+ crowd in Erie County has been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.   67% statewide.  Those numbers will continue to grow over the next couple months, at which point you’ll be left with the stubborn folks who just don’t want the vaccine for whatever reason.

We CANNOT keep moving the goalposts.  This idea that the whole have to be punished because of a few is completely bizarre and unhealthy.  People have lives to lead.

That being said, our local and state leadership has proven themselves to be completely incompetent (in a whole host of areas), so I fear that’s what will happen this coming Bills season unfortunately.

Source for that bold? Because it really wasnt just for them. It was also to relieve the strain on the limited healthcare resources that were being inundated with sick people from all demographics.

Regardless of the reason, the goal for re-opening has ALWAYS been 60-70% of the total population vaccinated. That has always been the stated goal from the start of vaccinations, and the start of re-opening. Cuomo said it himself in the press conference announcing they were letting some fans in for the playoff games. There is no goal post moving. 60-70% has ALWAYS been the goal for herd immunity. Not just with COVID, but with all diseases/vaccinations.

It's great to hear they are above 70% for the 65+ crowd. Now just need to get the full population there.

Notice, we are saying 70%. NOT 100%. There is plenty of room for people who dont want to get it for whatever their reason.

You say "people have lives to lead". Not if they are dead.

(and a thank you for keeping this off the main board)

CDC: Chance Of Surface Transmission Of Virus Not What We Thought

Back in the early days of the pandemic, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a flurry of warnings about the many steps Americans needed to be taking to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus and “flatten the curve.” The travel restrictions and face masks, along with the shutdown of the economy, drew most of the media attention. But there was also a keen focus on all of the extra cleaning we would need to be doing. Studies were launched to determine how long the virus could survive on various surfaces and what measures would be required to prevent us from catching the frightening disease by touching everything from doorknobs to paper money. Grocery store shelves holding Purell and other sanitizers were quickly emptied. It was yet another aspect of our daily lives that had been completely disrupted.

Now, more than a year later, the CDC has “revised” their estimates on this subject and altered their guidelines accordingly. As it turns out, the chances of catching COVID by touching a potentially infected surface are “low.” How low? We’ll get to that in a moment. Oh, and the steps required to keep surfaces free of the virus aren’t what we were originally told either. (NY Post)

You can read the updated guidance at the CDC website.(https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/science-and-research/surface-transmission.html)

While noting that it’s still “possible” to catch COVID by touching a surface that was recently sneezed or coughed on by an infected person and then quickly touching your mouth, nose, or eyes, they consider it unlikely. How unlikely? They rate the chances at 1 in 10,000. I don’t know about you, but those sound like fairly long odds to me.

Oh, and we should also talk about all of that sanitizer we’ve been using to wipe down surfaces and wash our hands. The new CDC guidelines inform us that “simple cleaning agents appear to be effective against the virus, and disinfectants aren’t necessary for most situations.” The guidelines now state that there is “little scientific support for routine use of disinfectants in community settings.” Cleaning with normal soap or detergent is considered effective.

The impact that the original guidelines had on the country was quite significant. A large number of distilleries shut down their operations entirely and switched over to producing sanitizer in a heroic effort to answer the call of duty. People were hoarding Purell and trying to sell it on the black market for a profit.

More at the link: https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-shaw/2021/04/07/cdc-chance-surface-transmission-virus-not-thought/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Trump officials celebrated efforts to change CDC reports on coronavirus

Even as career government scientists worked to combat the virus, a cadre of Trump appointees was trying to blunt the scientists’ messages, edit their findings and equip the president with alternate talking points, according to material obtained by the House’s select subcommittee on the outbreak.

By Dan Diamond16 minutes ago

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/09/cdc-covid-political-interference/

How many died needlessly? Trump is a mass killer 

5 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Trump officials celebrated efforts to change CDC reports on coronavirus

Even as career government scientists worked to combat the virus, a cadre of Trump appointees was trying to blunt the scientists’ messages, edit their findings and equip the president with alternate talking points, according to material obtained by the House’s select subcommittee on the outbreak.

By Dan Diamond16 minutes ago

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/09/cdc-covid-political-interference/

How many died needlessly? Trump is a mass killer 

Yawn

REP. NANCY MACE: Vaccine Passports: When Fear Threatens Freedom.

If you’re about protecting people, why not “immunity passports?”

People who have had Covid are, it seems, at least as protected as people who have had the vaccine. But nobody talks about that.

WHO even changed the definition of “herd immunity” to only include vaccine-derived immunity.

Old:

Screen-Shot-2021-04-09-at-17.14.35-600x1     

New:

Screen-Shot-2021-04-09-at-17.14.42-600x1

“I cannot say why, exactly, the WHO did this. Given the events of the past nine or ten months, however, it is reasonable to assume that politics are at play.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Just tell the holdouts that Trump personally made the vaccine. That should get us over the hump for herd immunity.

Trumpers: We need to get back to normal.

Everyone else: There is still a deadly virus.

Trumpers: I need to work and live my life. FREEDOM!!!

Everyone: Jesus Christ

Scientists: Here, we have a vaccine. Let's get back to normal.

Trumpers: I'm not taking your voodoo medicine!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

Biden can waive the provision and make it mandatory once there's enough vaccines for all Americans.  If not, general discharge.  They've already had the option before basic training to refuse all other forced vaccinations for medical or religious purposes.  I believe before enlisting you need to provide your immunization records and then receive more vaccinations before basic training depending on what branch your joining along with where you'll be stationed.

2 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Just tell the holdouts that Trump personally made the vaccine. That should get us over the hump for herd immunity.

Trumpers: We need to get back to normal.

Everyone else: There is still a deadly virus.

Trumpers: I need to work and live my life. FREEDOM!!!

Everyone: Jesus Christ

Scientists: Here, we have a vaccine. Let's get back to normal.

Trumpers: I'm not taking your voodoo medicine!

The flu of 1918 killed a lot more people but went away rather quickly without a vaccine. What do you think explains that?

Edited by Chef Jim