The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

13 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not really.  The numbers were much lower in the NYC over the past few months.  They've seen a spike recently, especially when compared to other areas that have been trending down, big time.  But...instead we get the media yelling at maskless states like Florida during Spring Break.  My original question was a really simple one. I don't live on the East Coast anymore.  Have people seen a change in behavior or regulations there? What's changed? It's the same question I asked in California when we had a spike a few months back, and yet no regulations had changed, and I could see zero difference in the way people were acting.

So these numbers have been lower?

Screenshot_20210324-104714_Chrome.jpg

On 3/23/2021 at 12:00 AM, Big Blitz said:

No kids.  

Probably no spouse.  

So most everyone under 30-35 yo.

Those under 30-35 with kids, those kids are probably all under 5, so work from home, no day care costs.  Can't really go out much bc your kids are 4 and 2 years old anyway.  

They aren't old enough to start cutting themselves due to severe depression brought on by mitigation for life.  Roughly around 12-15 years old.  Not old enough to see the daily suffering on their faces.  Stick an X Box in front of them they'll all be fine.  

Edit (GF): Get off my lawn!

On 3/23/2021 at 11:52 AM, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks.  It is odd. During the same period, the California Governor recall effort reached the signature level to put it on the ballot, and just as suddenly the restaurants and schools re-opened.  I really don't want this to be political but something seems a bit squirrely here.

I mean, who knows? Maybe it's the climate. Maybe it's the fact that NYC is such a major international transportation hub. The important thing is that we accurately gather data from which to draw conclusions. Hopefully our methods for collecting this represent the best that we can do across the whole country so that meaningful comparisons can be made.

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

So these numbers have been lower?

Screenshot_20210324-104714_Chrome.jpg

Yes they were. New York was not registering 7,000 cases per day.  And, more importantly, the numbers are way higher than we're seeing across the country with the vaccine, warmer weather, etc now taking hold.

COME AND GET IT: 

Texas, Georgia to open vaccinations to all adults within the next week.

“Remember that Biden set a deadline of May 1 for states to open eligibility to the general population.

I wonder if there’ll be a single state that hasn’t already done that by the end of the first week of April, say.”

https://hotair.com/archives/allahpundit/2021/03/23/come-get-texas-georgia-open-vaccinations-adults-within-next-week/

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Unforgiven said:

OMG

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-india-double-mutant-covid-100159024.html

Coronavirus: 'Double mutant' Covid variant found in India

Triple dog dare variant incoming next?

"What is clear is that this double mutation, as different as it sounds, requires the same public health response. Increased testing, tracking of close contacts, the prompt isolation of cases, as well as masks and social distancing will all help. Reducing the pressure on India's over-burdened healthcare system is key."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....

No its not.  It doesn't matter.  Mitigation for life.  NO deaths.  NO Hospitalizations.  NO cases.  

Those are the metrics.  

Why this is all bull ***t. 

Really let this sink in:

Virginia easing more COVID-19 restrictions on gatherings, entertainment, sports

Virginia is easing some more COVID-19 restrictions on gatherings, sporting events and entertainment venues next week, Gov. Ralph Northam announced Tuesday.....

....Northam did not ease any restrictions Tuesday on indoor dining, alcohol sales and bars.  Bar seating is still disallowed in restaurants, and alcohol sales must end at midnight...

Asked about not easing restrictions on bars and restaurants, Northam said, "We know that when people congregate and it gets late and they let their guard down … this is where the virus tends to be spread.”

https://www.insidenova.com/headlines/virginia-easing-more-covid-19-restrictions-on-gatherings-entertainment-sports/article_3ff22812-8c06-11eb-9323-5fc6f1b9a66e.html#utm_source=insidenova.com&utm_campaign=%2Fnewsletters%2Fbreaking-news%2F%3F-dc%3D1616526391&utm_medium=email&utm_content=headline

You read that right.  

It only really spreads after 10pm.  That's when you really congregate and let your guard down.  

However, at 6pm, at your restaurant of choice, "guards" are never let down and the virus really doesn't spread there.  

Absolute total B.S. sham

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Why this is all bull ***t. 

Really let this sink in:

Virginia easing more COVID-19 restrictions on gatherings, entertainment, sports

Virginia is easing some more COVID-19 restrictions on gatherings, sporting events and entertainment venues next week, Gov. Ralph Northam announced Tuesday.....

....Northam did not ease any restrictions Tuesday on indoor dining, alcohol sales and bars.  Bar seating is still disallowed in restaurants, and alcohol sales must end at midnight...

Asked about not easing restrictions on bars and restaurants, Northam said, "We know that when people congregate and it gets late and they let their guard down … this is where the virus tends to be spread.”

https://www.insidenova.com/headlines/virginia-easing-more-covid-19-restrictions-on-gatherings-entertainment-sports/article_3ff22812-8c06-11eb-9323-5fc6f1b9a66e.html#utm_source=insidenova.com&utm_campaign=%2Fnewsletters%2Fbreaking-news%2F%3F-dc%3D1616526391&utm_medium=email&utm_content=headline

You read that right.  

It only really spreads after 10pm.  That's when you really congregate and let your guard down.  

However, at 6pm, at your restaurant of choice, "guards" are never let down and the virus really doesn't spread there.  

Absolute total B.S. sham

You may know my general opinion of the regulatory controls...but you are missing the point on this one.  The key is not the time of day!  The point being made is that after a few drinks, which typically occurs later in the evening, since most people don't go to the bars at NOON, people start to let their guard down.  That is a fact.  That is the purpose of having a few drinks. 

On 3/23/2021 at 11:52 AM, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks.  It is odd. During the same period, the California Governor recall effort reached the signature level to put it on the ballot, and just as suddenly the restaurants and schools re-opened.  I really don't want this to be political but something seems a bit squirrely here.

Alas, it’s squirrely, and you can’t trust anything reported.  From start to finish it’s been a pandemic no one can trust.  

On 3/24/2021 at 8:18 AM, SoCal Deek said:

So I’ll try this again now with the generally more accurate midweek reporting. If you look deeper into the numbers you’ll find the highest new case counts are in and around the NYC Metro area, meaning this also includes NJ and parts of PA. What gives? The case count there is as much as 600% that of other large population states. What’s changed (conditions on the ground) in and around NYC?

Interestingly, there are no mandatory q restrictions when folks from adjoining states travel into/out of NY.  So, guy from Danbury heads to Fla, parties with Will in Miami, flies back home.  

Guy from upstate flies direct, stays put in a private residence, largely avoids crowds but does dine at an outdoor establishment , distanced & masked a night or two. Three days before returning home, he dutifully goes to a Walgreens, waits his turn for a nasal swab, performs the function and returns to vacation.  He too flies back home, along the way learning he’s COVID free.  

The next day, the guy from Danbury drives into NY, stops at a deli and grabs a bac/egg and cheese, pumps gas, heads to work, eats lunch out at a restauranr, hits the local Walmart and heads home.  

The Upstate guy is handled differently. He’s tracked like a flight risk, harassed with texts that make no sense and appear to be spam, he quarantines for 4 long days, drives to a local college and has a baton shoved up his nose and two days later finds out he’s not a super spreader.  He returns to work.  

My theory is that NYC residents and those from surrounding areas looked at the bs surrounding our gov regulation and said “F$&@ this”.  

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Interestingly, there are no mandatory q restrictions when folks from adjoining states travel into/out of NY.  So, guy from Danbury heads to Fla, parties with Will in Miami, flies back home.  

Guy from upstate flies direct, stays put in a private residence, largely avoids crowds but does dine at an outdoor establishment , distanced & masked a night or two. Three days before returning home, he dutifully goes to a Walgreens, waits his turn for a nasal swab, performs the function and returns to vacation.  He too flies back home, along the way learning he’s COVID free.  

The next day, the guy from Danbury drives into NY, stops at a deli and grabs a bac/egg and cheese, pumps gas, heads to work, eats lunch out at a restauranr, hits the local Walmart and heads home.  

The Upstate guy is handled differently. He’s tracked like a flight risk, harassed with texts that make no sense and appear to be spam, he quarantines for 4 long days, drives to a local college and has a baton shoved up his nose and two days later finds out he’s not a super spreader.  He returns to work.  

My theory is that NYC residents and those from surrounding areas looked at the bs surrounding our gov regulation and said “F$&@ this”.  

Well if these New Yorkers are getting it in Florida, shouldn’t Florida also have a high caseload? They don’t! 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Well if these New Yorkers are getting it in Florida, shouldn’t Florida also have a high caseload? They don’t! 

The thing that's difficult in all this is you can't just simply stare at numbers and charts.  There are too many factors that they don't capture.

Mask and protective mandates are only so good as people are willing to follow.  There's no charting compliance.  People, especially young people get burned out.  Variants.  It's not like European countries wanted to shut down again, the British variant forced it.  Look at Michigan, the British variant is thought to be influencing their rise, but we won't have the proof until a month or more.

Seasonality.  Not a lot of definitive words, but it seems logical that the virus doesn't spread as easily outdoors and so time of year influences.  WRT Florida and Texas, their biggest outbreak was over the summer during air conditioning season, so we will see.

Vaccine.  Now it's going to impact these numbers and hopefully innoculations are high enough to squash any future outbreaks.  But variants may blunt this effect, we just don't know for sure.

You've got many other influencing factors, such as how long does natural immunity last and asymptomatic infections but this post is long enough.  Precautions work but are far from foolproof.  Health officials and leaders look at the strain on the healthcare system and set precautions accordingly.

I've advocated caution but certainly won't wear a mask forever, as some panic whores like to imagine.  Looking forward to mask-free dinner with my now-vaccinated family this weekend!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/humans-not-animals-likely-took-the-covid-virus-to-wuhan-contrary-to-chinas-claims/ar-BB1eYwfF?li=BBnbfcL

Really good non-political article IMO implicating accidental release from Wuhan Virology Institute as the source of outbreak.

Edited by GaryPinC

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

The thing that's difficult in all this is you can't just simply stare at numbers and charts.  There are too many factors that they don't capture.

Mask and protective mandates are only so good as people are willing to follow.  There's no charting compliance.  People, especially young people get burned out.  Variants.  It's not like European countries wanted to shut down again, the British variant forced it.  Look at Michigan, the British variant is thought to be influencing their rise, but we won't have the proof until a month or more.

Seasonality.  Not a lot of definitive words, but it seems logical that the virus doesn't spread as easily outdoors and so time of year influences.  WRT Florida and Texas, their biggest outbreak was over the summer during air conditioning season, so we will see.

Vaccine.  Now it's going to impact these numbers and hopefully innoculations are high enough to squash any future outbreaks.  But variants may blunt this effect, we just don't know for sure.

You've got many other influencing factors, such as how long does natural immunity last and asymptomatic infections but this post is long enough.  Precautions work but are far from foolproof.  Health officials and leaders look at the strain on the healthcare system and set precautions accordingly.

I've advocated caution but certainly won't wear a mask forever, as some panic whores like to imagine.  Looking forward to mask-free dinner with my now-vaccinated family this weekend!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/humans-not-animals-likely-took-the-covid-virus-to-wuhan-contrary-to-chinas-claims/ar-BB1eYwfF?li=BBnbfcL

Really good non-political article IMO implicating accidental release from Wuhan Virology Institute as the source of outbreak.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. My posts are trying desperately to stay out of the politics of it all. I’m a numbers driven guy. Something’s going on in the NYC Metro area ...again. What’s shocking to me is that people who are paid to tell us what it is, either don’t seem to have a clue, or don’t want to tell us. With a database this large and with reporting in virtual real time it’s hard to believe they don’t know. 

Dangerous Covid-19 variants could mean all bets are off on the road to normalcy, expert warns 

(CNN)The evidence that Americans are gearing up for a return to normal life is growing apparent.

However, many experts reiterate that Covid-19 is far from over.

Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said on the "Today" show Thursday that the US is "still seeing about 1,000 deaths a day," which she noted was way too many.

As for the number of daily infections, Walensky said, "What worries me is the steady flow of 50,000, 60,000 -- and we continue to see that even today."

With some states seeing rises of at least 10% in weekly average cases, according to Johns Hopkins University data, variants such as B.1.1.7 may lead to a greater risk of exposure and a potential stagnation in the fight against Covid-19.

"It tells us when we have a more contagious variant that all bets are off because it means that the activities that we thought were pretty low risk are now going to be higher risk," CNN medical analyst Dr. Leana Wen told CNN's Anderson Cooper on Thursday.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/26/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

*China rn*

tenor.gif

Where is Doc to tell me this will be over by Summer?  Or was it fall?  He keeps moving his goal posts to.  I want to put every asset I have on the line that you will be "mitigating" for 5-10 years.  Distancing.  Masks.  Half capacity everything.  Good luck to lock down central deep blue states ever getting anyone to start a brick and mortar.  Real estate especially commercial should do well.   

Public schools are done.  There will never be "normal" school especially 9-12 (buildings will be at 20% in person thus collapse is inevitable).  K-8 will be to bc the Unions will say it isn't fair that the high school teachers have only 20% capacity and are free from the horrors or classroom management.  

Imagine still listening to these people and "mitigating" at this point.  

You are a full fledged dupe.

• Like (+1) 1

The only reason we're still in masks is because if they say you can take them off and cases do nothing different then people will say "we could have had these off the whole time???"  And it will instantly the biggest ***k up of all time.  Especially if cases drop.

If masks control it, then if cases go up in your area, put the mask on, right? 

Also, businesses need people to not be scared to shop.  This face diaper does that.  Provides the scared a sense of security for you to shop at Kohls.  

This is all bull ***t. 

Edited by Big Blitz