The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Add to list

A new Democratic administration facing down a massive economic crisis pushes a $800 billion stimulus package. A bloc of centrist Democrats balk at the price-tag, and Republicans are thrown into a frenzy warning about the impact to the federal deficit.

A little more than a decade later, another new Democratic administration takes office facing a different economic crisis. This time, it proposes spending an additional $1.9 trillion in spending, even though the federal deficit last year was $3.1 trillion — much larger than during the last crisis. Centrist Democrats unify behind passing the measure, and the GOP rejects it but in a more muted fashion.

The disparity between the reception to President Barack Obama’s 2009 stimulus plan and President Biden’s is the result of several seismic shifts in American politics — the most dramatic of which may be the apparent impact of the pandemic on attitudes about the role of government in helping the economy.

AD

Since the outset of the coronavirus, polling has found substantial support among Americans for providing more government aid for those in need. That is partially due to the nature of the current crisis, which for a time opened a deeper economic hole than even the Great Recession. But the shift is also the result of a reorientation on economic policy — both on the left and on the right — that has transformed the political landscape.

Biden’s economic team set to prepare ambitious recovery plan, challenging Republicans’ renewed debt worries

On the right, congressional Republican lawmakers may still fret about higher deficits — but the most popular politician among their voters does not. Both as a candidate and as president, Donald Trump blew past Republican concerns about the deficit, pushing for trillions in additional spending and tax cuts and running unprecedented peacetime debt levels.

And on the left, Democratic lawmakers have increasingly learned to ignore fears about spending too much. Party leaders have said they suffered crippling political defeats in the 2010s precisely because they did not deliver enough meaningful economic relief under Obama — a mistake that they see an opportunity to correct under Biden. Democrats also repeatedly tout the 2017 Republican tax cut, which is expected to add approximately $2 trillion to the national deficit, as a reason to be skeptical of GOP concerns about fiscal restraint.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/03/07/stimulus-politics/

21 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Add to list

A new Democratic administration facing down a massive economic crisis pushes a $800 billion stimulus package. A bloc of centrist Democrats balk at the price-tag, and Republicans are thrown into a frenzy warning about the impact to the federal deficit.

A little more than a decade later, another new Democratic administration takes office facing a different economic crisis. This time, it proposes spending an additional $1.9 trillion in spending, even though the federal deficit last year was $3.1 trillion — much larger than during the last crisis. Centrist Democrats unify behind passing the measure, and the GOP rejects it but in a more muted fashion.

The disparity between the reception to President Barack Obama’s 2009 stimulus plan and President Biden’s is the result of several seismic shifts in American politics — the most dramatic of which may be the apparent impact of the pandemic on attitudes about the role of government in helping the economy.

AD

Since the outset of the coronavirus, polling has found substantial support among Americans for providing more government aid for those in need. That is partially due to the nature of the current crisis, which for a time opened a deeper economic hole than even the Great Recession. But the shift is also the result of a reorientation on economic policy — both on the left and on the right — that has transformed the political landscape.

Biden’s economic team set to prepare ambitious recovery plan, challenging Republicans’ renewed debt worries

On the right, congressional Republican lawmakers may still fret about higher deficits — but the most popular politician among their voters does not. Both as a candidate and as president, Donald Trump blew past Republican concerns about the deficit, pushing for trillions in additional spending and tax cuts and running unprecedented peacetime debt levels.

And on the left, Democratic lawmakers have increasingly learned to ignore fears about spending too much. Party leaders have said they suffered crippling political defeats in the 2010s precisely because they did not deliver enough meaningful economic relief under Obama — a mistake that they see an opportunity to correct under Biden. Democrats also repeatedly tout the 2017 Republican tax cut, which is expected to add approximately $2 trillion to the national deficit, as a reason to be skeptical of GOP concerns about fiscal restraint.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/03/07/stimulus-politics/

Hey Tibs 

The 2017 tax cut didn’t add to the deficit but the runaway out of control spending sure as heck did. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Hey Tibs 

The 2017 tax cut didn’t add to the deficit but the runaway out of control spending sure as heck did. 

Republicons controlled all the levers of power at the time.  They own both the revenue and any excesses in spending.  The country was racking up trillion dollar deficits every year, despite extremely low unemployment.

Just now, Scraps said:

Republicons controlled all the levers of power at the time.  They own both the revenue and any excesses in spending.  The country was racking up trillion dollar deficits every year, despite extremely low unemployment.

I agree. You’ll notice my response didn’t mention either political party. A pox on both of their houses! 

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

And Biden for you?

I asked my question first.  I'll answer yours if you answer mine.  Or are you going to continue to dodge, as I expect.

Edited by Scraps

56 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Hey Tibs 

When we take over the White House (we still have to flip a coin for which of us takes which position), we can wipe out around 6 cabinet departments minimum, don’t you think?

Then I get a good accountant to tell me what each Senator and Congressman gets in federal funding, and I give them a month to tell me what cuts they make to decrease their federal spending by 30%.  If they don’t I arbitrarily decide, then send the bill to Congress.

28 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I asked my question first.  I'll answer yours if you answer mine.  Or are you going to continue to dodge, as I expect.

I’ll answer. I’m for anyone who’ll cut taxes. Trump, Biden, whoever. Is that good enough for you? If we’re going to to run these federal deficits with or without tax increases or decreases I’m voting for less taxes every single time. 

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

When we take over the White House (we still have to flip a coin for which of us takes which position), we can wipe out around 6 cabinet departments minimum, don’t you think?

Then I get a good accountant to tell me what each Senator and Congressman gets in federal funding, and I give them a month to tell me what cuts they make to decrease their federal spending by 30%.  If they don’t I arbitrarily decide, then send the bill to Congress.

Bingo sir! Sign me up! 

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ll answer. I’m for anyone who’ll cut taxes. Trump, Biden, whoever. Is that good enough for you? If we’re going to to run these federal deficits with or without tax increases or decreases I’m voting for less taxes every single time. 

I am dead set against people who will ring up the credit card our children, their children and grandchildren with no chance of ever balancing the budget.  I think the mantra of just "cut taxes" is selfish and short sighted.  For that reason, Trump , the self described "king of debt" was a disaster.

33 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I am dead set against people who will ring up the credit card our children, their children and grandchildren with no chance of ever balancing the budget.  I think the mantra of just "cut taxes" is selfish and short sighted.  For that reason, Trump , the self described "king of debt" was a disaster.

The federal government needs to get back to doing what is proscribed by the Constitution.  Those things that only a federal government can do.  That would cut spending tremendously.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Scraps said:

You don't come across as a fan of the Fauc and sarcasm in your posts are humorous.

I want to trust Fauci, I really do.  

The biggest factor for me is the disconnect between his words and actions on putting normality on hold for a year v his response to mass gatherings over the last year.

I think he was weak and tepid when he could have displayed the leadership I would expect from a guy in his position.  It’s easy to suggest he’s the science guy, not the political guy, but therein lies the problem for me.   

He had a platform and unprecedented access to the American people.  He opined on all sorts of things from family gatherings to multiple household events and the like.  

I’m just a guy trying to figure it all out during what he says is a pandemic and the danger to our way of life extreme.  Yet, on mass gatherings of people he treaded lightly and brought the political into it.  

As this mandate has dragged on...I’ve gotten to the point where I simply don’t trust him and question his motives.  

7 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Go do it.  The trials showed no real risks for any of the 3.  

As I said, I’m not on the fence about it.  I don’t want any flu bug (or worse) ever.  I’m a terrible patient and if it causes mass sterilization my seeds have already been sown.  👨🏻‍🦳

3 hours ago, Scraps said:

Well there we do differ. Now I’m not saying this to be boastful but as someone who’s well into the highest earnings bracket I’m beyond fed up with what I’m being asked to fund. I gladly pitched in during the Great Recession when the Obama Administration asked that my taxes be raised to help a nation in need. I just as gladly accepted the exact same tax percentage cut when Trump recommended putting my rate back where it was when Obama took office. Seemed more than fair to me...and it was. Not sure why we can’t do the same with the SPENDING side of the equation. Instead, it keeps spiraling ever upward. 

COVID Relief Bill Passes Senate; Now Back to House For Another Round of Stupidity

By Jennifer Van Laar

https://redstate.com/jenvanlaar/2021/03/06/covid-relief-bill-passes-senate-now-back-to-house-for-another-round-of-stupidity-n338525

“The Senate has never spent $2 trillion in a more haphazard way. [Democrats’] top priority wasn’t pandemic relief. It was their Washington wish list.”

The purpose of this bill was to bail out the years of fiscally criminal behavior of blues state governments. They have trying to do this for 6 years.

This subsidizes the oppressive taxation that accompanies oppressive laws where instead of those who live in those states dealing with the consequences, they have now socialized them to the whole country and future generations to suffer.

Stolen elections have consequences.

5 minutes ago, B-Man said:

COVID Relief Bill Passes Senate; Now Back to House For Another Round of Stupidity

By Jennifer Van Laar

https://redstate.com/jenvanlaar/2021/03/06/covid-relief-bill-passes-senate-now-back-to-house-for-another-round-of-stupidity-n338525

“The Senate has never spent $2 trillion in a more haphazard way. [Democrats’] top priority wasn’t pandemic relief. It was their Washington wish list.”

The purpose of this bill was to bail out the years of fiscally criminal behavior of blues state governments. They have trying to do this for 6 years.

This subsidizes the oppressive taxation that accompanies oppressive laws where instead of those who live in those states dealing with the consequences, they have now socialized them to the whole country and future generations to suffer.

Stolen elections have consequences.

REDSTATE!!!!!

Wait - "Stolen elections have consequences." Weren't you just biching about Blue ANON conspiracies?

SMH

lmao

COVID DERANGEMENT SYNDROME: Coronavirus has the Karens and Biden voters cowering.

Covid Derangement Syndrome — it’s real, and there was a massive outbreak of it this week.

Three states announced they were ending the absurd yearlong “mask mandates,” and the left’s collective head exploded in outrage.

The reason is because this isn’t about public health anymore, or even politics, if it ever was. COVID is now the state religion, and the decisions by these GOP governors aren’t seen as a policy dispute, they’re considered heresy.

Only an infidel or an apostate denies that there is a … mild seasonal virus out there. Half the population cowers in abject terror — afflicted with CDS.

In New England, the leading prophet of the new faith is Gov. Charlie Baker. On Wednesday, in his daily sermon to the faithful, Tall Deval outlined the significance of the Mask in his strange cult:

“I think the mask mandate has been an important element in both encouraging behavior but also in sending a message about the importance of recognizing and understanding that COVID is still very much with us.”

He sounds like earlier generations of clergymen railing against the devil’s unending temptations, doesn’t he? But his real “message” is — we’re in charge, and you will do what you’re told.

It used to be said, if you want to send a message, call Western Union. Now you just tell people they’re going to be afflicted with prolonged suffering and a gooey death if they don’t obey your orders, no matter how preposterous.

And half the population — the feeble-minded, the Biden voters, the Karens — will instantly comply.

QED, someone who bills herself as a “Syndicated op-ed columnist @washingtonpost, commentator @cnn, special correspondent @newshour” admitting that she’s incapable of doing her job as a fact and opinion gathering journalist:

She better get used to mask burning parties eventually ­going nationwide in the coming year as more and more people are vaccinated.

Edited by B-Man