The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

40 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Gotcha! But....6% is huge if they’d focus on the vulnerable population. 

The term vulnerable varies. Those in their 30's and 40's, in otherwise good health, with medicinal controlled blood pressure, can get it now in N.Y. regardless of work or not.

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

India is fully immune.  From the stupid.   

Just thought I would take a dip into all these sketch twitter feeds from bizarre conspiracy sites and cons. India - 100% immunity using vitamins???

Vendanta Empire is a reference to a messianic human reincarnation of a divine being. 

Re: Principia Scientific International

From media bias fact site:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/principia-scientific-international/

Overall, we rate Principia Scientific International (PSI) a strong conspiracy and Pseudoscience website that promotes anti-vaccine propaganda and frequent misinformation regarding climate change.

Detailed Report
Factual Reporting: LOW
World Press Freedom Rank: UK 35/180

Founded by John O'Sullivan 

More on this guy - In a libel lawsuit O’Sullivan made a series of false claims, including:

that he was an attorney with more than a decade of successful litigation in New York State and Federal courts; that he was employed by a major Victoria, B.C. (Canada) law firm that is representing Ball in the libel action;
that he is a widely published writer, with credits in Forbes and the National Review; that he had received his law degree from the University College, Cork, Ireland and/or from the University of Surrey (O’Sullivan’s actual legal accreditation, apparently obtained after the Mann-Ball action commenced, comes from an online degree mill, Hill University, which promises delivery in two weeks);
that he is a member of the American Bar Association.

One affidavit includes an online comment in which O’Sullivan says, “For your information, I am a retired academic and I have litigated personally or assisted others in pro se litigation at every level of court there is in New York State as well as Federal level, for over a decade and never lost.” 

Although O’Sullivan admits in this particular comment that he is not, in fact, licensed to practice law, in the U.S. or the U.K., he adds, “I’m just some Brit with a brain who can go live with his American wife in her country and kick ass big time around a courtroom.”

So... basically another conman leveraging social media to dupe the gullible.

Edited by WideNine

8 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Just thought I would take a dip into all these sketch twitter feeds from bizarre conspiracy sites and cons. India - 100% immunity using vitamins???

Vendanta Empire is in reference to a messianic human reincarnation of a divine being. 

Re: Principia Scientific International

From media bias fact site:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/principia-scientific-international/

Overall, we rate Principia Scientific International (PSI) a strong conspiracy and Pseudoscience website that promotes anti-vaccine propaganda and frequent misinformation regarding climate change.

Detailed Report
Factual Reporting: LOW
World Press Freedom Rank: UK 35/180

Founded by John O'Sullivan 

More on this guy - In a libel lawsuit O’Sullivan made a series of false claims, including:

that he was an attorney with more than a decade of successful litigation in New York State and Federal courts; that he was employed by a major Victoria, B.C. (Canada) law firm that is representing Ball in the libel action;
that he is a widely published writer, with credits in Forbes and the National Review; that he had received his law degree from the University College, Cork, Ireland and/or from the University of Surrey (O’Sullivan’s actual legal accreditation, apparently obtained after the Mann-Ball action commenced, comes from an online degree mill, Hill University, which promises delivery in two weeks);
that he is a member of the American Bar Association.

One affidavit includes an online comment in which O’Sullivan says, “For your information, I am a retired academic and I have litigated personally or assisted others in pro se litigation at every level of court there is in New York State as well as Federal level, for over a decade and never lost.” 

Although O’Sullivan admits in this particular comment that he is not, in fact, licensed to practice law, in the U.S. or the U.K., he adds, “I’m just some Brit with a brain who can go live with his American wife in her country and kick ass big time around a courtroom.”

So... basically another conman leveraging social media to dupe the gullible.

I have no idea what his prescriptions do or don't do. 

What I know is I see evidence of normalcy in the largest country in the world.  And 3rd in population density. 

Guess they triple masked better then us.  

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I have no idea what his prescriptions do or don't do. 

What I know is I see evidence of normalcy in the largest country in the world.  And 3rd in population density. 

Guess they triple masked better then us.  

This feed seems to have more realistic information. They (India) are getting a handle on their cases considering where they were at and that is cause for hope.

A more rational explanation is that they have had a robust vaccination effort.

Ours has been a bit of a hodge-podge state-by-state cluster ****, but is picking up steam....finally.

Edited by WideNine

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The Court ruled that the Union has the final say.  Isn't that what I said?

That is what you said and no, the Union did not get the final say. That link I provided was the ruling made before the State appealed.

The teachers union lost in appellate court against Gov. Ron DeSantis and Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran and schools reopened. So final say seemed to remain with the state.

https://health.wusf.usf.edu/health-news-florida/2020-12-02/appeals-court-refuses-to-revisit-florida-school-reopening-ruling

Now I guess teachers could just quit or go on strike, but that is a different kind of final say.

In other news, some of us were discussing today the need to fast track new vaccines for Covid-19 variants: looks like that is in the works.

Pfizer and BioNTech Studying Third Covid-19 Vaccine Dose to Fight New Strains - WSJ

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pfizer-and-biontech-studying-third-covid-19-vaccine-dose-to-fight-new-strains-11614253507

Others are doing the same.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, WideNine said:

That is what you said and no, the Union did not get the final say. That link I provided was the ruling made before the State appealed.

Not to get too into the weeds here but as they say, anyone can take anyone into court, thus forcing the court to have the ‘final say’. My point (and the important one) is that the Union is going to be the last, but most critical, one checked with regarding the safety of their work environment. Which is the ‘final say’. It’s really no different than any other unionized work environment. In fact, that’s one of the main purposes of a labor union. It’s not only about pay.

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not to get too into the weeds here but as they say, anyone can take anyone into court, thus forcing the court to have the ‘final say’. My point (and the important one) is that the Union is going to be the last, but most critical, one checked with regarding the safety of their work environment. Which is the ‘final say’. It’s really no different than any other unionized work environment. In fact, that’s one of the main purposes of a labor union. It’s not only about pay.

In the first case you said the Unions had the final say because a judge determined the Union had valid grounds to request schools remain closed for teacher safety.

Now, in appeals, the appellate judges reversed the ruling in favor of the States having final say in Fla.

So a State has the final say....at least in Fla, but any win in court (even if misguided) creates precedent that greases the wheels for other cases.

Tennessee has a bill in front of their GOP Senate to give their Governor final say.

Since the Supreme Court Janus ruling Unions have been defanged even further.

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/14/17437832/janus-afscme-supreme-court-union-teacher-police-public-sector

The power of a Union is their ability to collectively resist a decision by an employer to better negotiate for change - at least in theory.

They do not run the employing entity, but can influence decisions.

As I stated earlier it was inaccurate to say Unions had the final say on school reopenings; that power resides with the State's Dept of Education, but of course they could try to leverage their collective bargaining ability to resist a decision. 

That would leave the State in a situation where they would have to fill the teaching voids with contract educators and those willing to cross the picket line, or accept union demands.

IMO The Fla teacher's union has a case that should be reheard and appealed to a higher court. 

The idea that folks that work for state and federal entities (outside the obvious military and law enforcement roles) can be forced into potentially unsafe working conditions merits more debate.

Edited by WideNine

CDC director warns recent decline in U.S. Covid cases may have stalled as variants spread

The decline in Covid-19 cases reported in the U.S. since early January may be flattening, a concerning shift as highly transmissible variants threaten to exacerbate infections, the head of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.

"Over the last few weeks, cases and hospital admissions in the United States have been coming down since early January, and deaths have been declining in the past week," CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said during a press briefing. "But the latest data suggest that these declines may be stalling, potentially leveling off at still a very high number."

https://www-cnbc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/02/26/cdc-director-warns-recent-decline-in-us-covid-cases-may-have-stalled-as-variants-spread.html?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=16143657705154&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnbc.com%2F2021%2F02%2F26%2Fcdc-director-warns-recent-decline-in-us-covid-cases-may-have-stalled-as-variants-spread.html

tenor.gif

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

In the first case you said the Unions had the final say because a judge determined the Union had valid grounds to request schools remain closed for teacher safety.

Now, in appeals, the appellate judges reversed the ruling in favor of the States having final say in Fla.

So a State has the final say....at least in Fla, but any win in court (even if misguided) creates precedent that greases the wheels for other cases.

Tennessee has a bill in front of their GOP Senate to give their Governor final say.

Since the Supreme Court Janus ruling Unions have been defanged even further.

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/14/17437832/janus-afscme-supreme-court-union-teacher-police-public-sector

The power of a Union is their ability to collectively resist a decision by an employer to better negotiate for change - at least in theory.

They do not run the employing entity, but can influence decisions.

As I stated earlier it was inaccurate to say Unions had the final say on school reopenings; that power resides with the State's Dept of Education, but of course they could try to leverage their collective bargaining ability to resist a decision. 

That would leave the State in a situation where they would have to fill the teaching voids with contract educators and those willing to cross the picket line, or accept union demands.

IMO The Fla teacher's union has a case that should be reheard and appealed to a higher court. 

The idea that folks that work for state and federal entities (outside the obvious military and law enforcement roles) can be forced into potentially unsafe working conditions merits more debate.

I can only assume you're a lawyer.  You can turn even the simplest of concepts down a rabbit hole of nuances. 😉

Edited by SoCal Deek

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I can only assume you're a lawyer.  You can turn even the simplest of concepts down a rabbit hole of nuances. 😉

So yes, guilty as charged, as I do take some perverse joy out of folks getting wrapped around the axle when they defend a poor position on a topic or statement of fact. 

I take some comfort knowing that I am probably not alone on this forum in that regard.

I have been caught out at times here, once recently when someone corrected me that the Hilary campaign did indeed sign onto a lawsuit questioning the Trump election results.

I could have twisted in the wind tried to defend my misstatement, but he was right, I was wrong. I just conceded his point quickly.

Life goes on and I learned something new.

16 hours ago, WideNine said:

So yes, guilty as charged, as I do take some perverse joy out of folks getting wrapped around the axle when they defend a poor position on a topic or statement of fact. 

I take some comfort knowing that I am probably not alone on this forum in that regard.

I have been caught out at times here, once recently when someone corrected me that the Hilary campaign did indeed sign onto a lawsuit questioning the Trump election results.

I could have twisted in the wind tried to defend my misstatement, but he was right, I was wrong. I just conceded his point quickly.

Life goes on and I learned something new.

Well at least you’re in there ‘making an argument’. I’ll give you that. It’s much more fun than those who immediately resort to name calling and slander. (You know who they are.)

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, daz28 said:

Bro, he's even doing the hocus pocus alakazam hands to complete the deception.  LOL

How did 70 million people thing we needed more of this??????????????????????????

Trump validates their racism and xenophobia and that is worth everything to them.