The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

3 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I think it’s simply a reflection of a full year plus of restrictions for some but not for all, a reliance on the science mandated for some but not all, government fingers in the pie destroying some businesses and not others, and a recognition that the absolute safest place to be during this virus is to be In the employ of those pulling the lockdown strings.  Everyone else must fend for themselves. 

From a leadership perspective, a good start would be for Biden to implore teachers unions to do the right thing by the children and communities they serve to get the children back in school.   Or, appeal directly to the teachers to bypass the unions and show up to the classroom.  There are many, many teachers who believe it’s past time to do so, but are likely fearful of going against the grain. 

It’s difficult to be positive when your back is against the wall, your children are suffering and govt is dicking around.

Exactly 

And there is no end in sight.  If they thought these vaccines were it, they'd be saying so.

I'll bet my house, life, everything that we are all still mitigating 6 feet for life sheep by March.....of 2022.  

It's simple.  

We have given the government the power to mitigate and shut us down if we had the numbers we had in August of 2020.  What were our percent positives as a country then?  5?  Cases at like 20K a day.  

And we were mitigating and closed.  

We are NEVER going to have less then 20K cases and hundreds of deaths a day for YEARS. 

Thus, mitigating, masks, distancing and everything that means.  Tell me why that's wrong.  We should be full open immediately.  You stay home till you get the vaccine.  That's it. 

People will not get the vaccine by choice.  And we aren't giving it to kids under 18 and 16.  How you eradicating the virus that have f....ing somehow ridiculously become the goal??

F....ing nightmare.  By CHOICE.  Because it's just freedom guys we need to look out for each other!!   No, we don't.  I need to look out for my kids and my family.  You go hide.  

Oh yea...and wait till the vaccinated start getting sick in January en masse bc immunity is only a year....we don't know.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Exactly 

And there is no end in sight.  If they thought these vaccines were it, they'd be saying so.

I'll bet my house, life, everything that we are all still mitigating 6 feet for life sheep by March.....of 2022.  

It's simple.  

We have given the government the power to mitigate and shut us down if we had the numbers we had in August of 2020.  What were our percent positives as a country then?  5?  Cases at like 20K a day.  

We are NEVER going to have less then 20K cases and hundreds of deaths a day for YEARS. 

Thus, mitigating, masks, distancing and everything that means.  Tell me why that's wrong.  People will not get the vaccine by choice.  And we aren't giving it to kids under 18 and 16.  How you eradicating the virus that have f....ing somehow ridiculously become the goal??

F....ing nightmare.  By CHOICE.  Because it's just freedom guys we need to look out for each other!!   No, we don't.  I need to look out for my kids and my family.  You go hide.  

The laws of man will never supercede the laws of nature, and the #1 law of nature is survival of the fittest. Covid isn't doing anything that nature hasn't already and always done. 

Stay frosty out there peoples

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Exactly 

It's simple.  

Thus, mitigating, masks, distancing and everything that means.  Tell me why that's wrong.  We should be full open immediately.  You stay home till you get the vaccine.  That's it. 

People will not get the vaccine by choice.  And we aren't giving it to kids under 18 and 16.  How you eradicating the virus that have f....ing somehow ridiculously become the goal??

Oh yea...and wait till the vaccinated start getting sick in January en masse bc immunity is only a year....we don't know.  

Why didn't Trump just order enough vaccines to begin with?

And why did he leave Biden with no execution plan?

5 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I think it’s simply a reflection of a full year plus of restrictions for some but not for all, a reliance on the science mandated for some but not all, government fingers in the pie destroying some businesses and not others, and a recognition that the absolute safest place to be during this virus is to be In the employ of those pulling the lockdown strings.  Everyone else must fend for themselves. 

From a leadership perspective, a good start would be for Biden to implore teachers unions to do the right thing by the children and communities they serve to get the children back in school.   Or, appeal directly to the teachers to bypass the unions and show up to the classroom.  There are many, many teachers who believe it’s past time to do so, but are likely fearful of going against the grain. 

It’s difficult to be positive when your back is against the wall, your children are suffering and govt is dicking around.

I'd like to hear from them.  Looking at the school thing from a different perspective.  I've worked for a lot of years with teachers and they've been programmed to accept that they're going to get a virus/flu as a 1,000 kids in a building will spread virus rapidly each winter.  All new teachers will catch it within their first couple of years until they build up immunity.  So teachers have become conditioned to accept the fact that they're at higher risk than most for catching whatever bug is going around each winter.  However, with Covid being a more deadly virus for many teachers who fall in the "at risk" range I can understand why they're so hesitant to go back and the unions are fighting for them.  It's entrenched in their mind that schools are a virus petri dish and their likelihood of catching it is high.  Kids being less likely to catch it and spread isn't common knowledge unfortunately.  The unions will keep fighting until the kids and teachers are vaccinated unfortunately.  

I get that people come here to vent and many bring up good points about whether government is doing too much or not enough.  They're also looking for someone to blame for this disruption in our way of life and politicians are easy targets (both at a local and federal level).  My thinking is just do the best you can and focus on convincing as many people as you can to get the vaccine ASAP if it's available to you.  It's our only way out of this. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Well into 2022...

Joe Biden Revises Promise: Enough Vaccines for 300 Million Americans by Early Fall

President Joe Biden clarified Tuesday that he expected the delivery of enough vaccine doses for 300 million Americans by early fall.

On Monday, Biden told a reporter that enough vaccines would be available for every American who wanted one in the spring.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/01/26/joe-biden-revises-promise-enough-vaccines-for-300-million-americans-by-early-fall/

Can they just tell us please that mitigation distancing and all that means is indefinite. 

I can't take the looks on my kids faces anymore as I had to tell them AGAIN that we are still full virtual into March.  The Unions here are saying now the vaccine isn't enough.....the metrics are to high and its still in the community.  The teachers don't feel safe.  

School year is over.  That's it.  1 and 1/2 year of education gone.  And it's going to be the same ***t in September.  If you still don't understand this I want to know what you're smoking.   

Yes, and it's a shame.  It really sucks.  It is the fault of selfish people.  I live in rural PA and we've been in and out of school all year based on case loads.  I just had to tell my son, a junior and the starting PG on the varsity basketball team that he is quarantined for two weeks.  We lost three varsity starters and two juniors this week from a squad that should be running it.  I also had to tell his friend who just got back from a 14 day quarantine that he is gone again too.  The virus will do what the virus will do but people not following SIMPLE mitigation efforts are wrecking the school experience for our kids.  The grass isn't always greener.  Going back to school in this mess puts a whole new set of factors into play. 

Edited by LDD

45 minutes ago, LDD said:

Yes, and it's a shame.  It really sucks.  It is the fault of selfish people.  I live in rural PA and we've been in and out of school all year based on case loads.  I just had to tell my son, a junior and the starting PG on the varsity basketball team that he is quarantined for two weeks.  We lost three varsity starters and two juniors this week from a squad that should be running it.  I also had to tell his friend who just got back from a 14 day quarantine that he is gone again too.  The virus will do what the virus will do but people not following SIMPLE mitigation efforts are wrecking the school experience for our kids.  The grass isn't always greener.  Going back to school in this mess puts a whole new set of factors into play. 

Being accepting of this new norm is crazy.  Why didn't we respond this way to Polio?  Were we all selfish back in the mid 1900s?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'd like to hear from them.  Looking at the school thing from a different perspective.  I've worked for a lot of years with teachers and they've been programmed to accept that they're going to get a virus/flu as a 1,000 kids in a building will spread virus rapidly each winter.  All new teachers will catch it within their first couple of years until they build up immunity.  So teachers have become conditioned to accept the fact that they're at higher risk than most for catching whatever bug is going around each winter.  However, with Covid being a more deadly virus for many teachers who fall in the "at risk" range I can understand why they're so hesitant to go back and the unions are fighting for them.  It's entrenched in their mind that schools are a virus petri dish and their likelihood of catching it is high.  Kids being less likely to catch it and spread isn't common knowledge unfortunately.  The unions will keep fighting until the kids and teachers are vaccinated unfortunately.  

I get that people come here to vent and many bring up good points about whether government is doing too much or not enough.  They're also looking for someone to blame for this disruption in our way of life and politicians are easy targets (both at a local and federal level).  My thinking is just do the best you can and focus on convincing as many people as you can to get the vaccine ASAP if it's available to you.  It's our only way out of this. 

Actually, I don't think this is correct.  Edit:  Young children seem less likely to catch it but this does not apply to older kids.  Kids are much less likely to experience symptoms, especially severe, but can still contract and spread the virus is my understanding.  Subtle but big difference, especially as many kids know Covid won't have any serious direct effect on them.

Also, CDC is saying schools can be open with precautions:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2021/01/27/covid-schools-cdc-reports-how-classes-can-safe-prevent-spread/4278356001/

I know my local schools have done a good job with it and looking at their data there have been no significant outbreaks when the schools are open.

I most certainly agree that the vaccine is the only way out.

Edited by GaryPinC

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

Actually, I don't think this is correct.  Edit:  Young children seem less likely to catch it but this does not apply to older kids.  Kids are much less likely to experience symptoms, especially severe, but can still contract and spread the virus is my understanding.  Subtle but big difference, especially as many kids know Covid won't have any serious direct effect on them.

Also, CDC is saying schools can be open with precautions:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2021/01/27/covid-schools-cdc-reports-how-classes-can-safe-prevent-spread/4278356001/

I know my local schools have done a good job with it and looking at their data there have been no significant outbreaks when the schools are open.

I most certainly agree that the vaccine is the only way out.

They did a study in Iceland where it showed kids under 15 were only about half as likely to contract it and spread it.  Basically the exact opposite of common cold and flu strands where they spread it like wildfire.  Here's a snippet from the study....

National Geographic was given exclusive access to the results from an Icelandic study that provides definitive evidence of how much children contribute to coronavirus spread. Researchers with the nation’s Directorate of Health and deCODE genetics, a human-genomics company in Reykjavik, monitored every adult and child in the country who was quarantined after potentially being exposed this spring, using contact tracing and genetic sequencing to trace links between various outbreak clusters. This 40,000-person study found that children under 15 were about half as likely as adults to be infected, and only half as likely as adults to transmit the virus to others. Almost all the coronavirus transmissions to children came from adults.

Just read the "disclaimers" on the vaccine a relative of mine sent me when they got the shot they don't need.  

They basically say "we don't know if this works.  You still could carry and thus spread the virus.  It may just lesson severity.  Good luck."

YEARS.  Mitigating well beyond 2022.  Hybrid and virtual schools.  Distancing (absurd).  Masks (do jack ***t).  And limited capacity everything if anything.  Because you let them.  

Someone explain to me how they think it will be any different then that in the next 12 months and why.  

My 7 year year old will be going on 10 when maybe more than 1 member of the family can see her indoor sporting events.  

Edited by Big Blitz

17 hours ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

Being accepting of this new norm is crazy.  Why didn't we respond this way to Polio?  Were we all selfish back in the mid 1900s?

You can't have everything.  If you don't make a sacrifice in one area, you lose something else.  Kids are taking it on the chin and selfish adults DGAF.  But, whatever.  We get what we deserve I suppose. 

Edited by LDD
Additionally...I never understood why this pandemic was framed as anything other than a public health crisis that we all needed to solve together.

From my Congressman...more FAQs:

If I have been vaccinated, do I have to continue the other recommended COVID-19 precautions (e.g., wearing a mask, staying 6 feet apart from others, avoiding indoor crowds, washing hands often)?

Yes. Currently, there is limited information on how well the COVID-19 vaccine can reduce the spread of COVID-19 and how long a person's protection lasts. If you received the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine or you received both doses, you should continue to follow prevention measures to protect yourself and others. This means wearing a mask, staying at least 6 feet away from others, avoiding crowds (especially in indoor places), and washing your hands often.

"And Congressman, how long do you anticipate us keeping up with these soul and mental health crushing measures?  What is the endgame since you want to inject us with an experimental vaccine?"

Thanks.

Signed, 

Absolutely no one in the media or the public that thinks bc of vaccine we'll be "back to normal" by .......?  I mean do they even know/care?

12 hours ago, LDD said:

You can't have everything.  If you don't make a sacrifice in one area, you lose something else.  Kids are taking it on the chin and selfish adults DGAF.  But, whatever.  We get what we deserve I suppose. 

Ain’t no collectively solving this one. We’re fuct for life. Masks, life.  Distancing, always.  Kids, ***** off.  Go learn on your own.  Sports? Concerts? Only for the uber rich from here on out.  J&J shot? Whoopty frickin do. The metrics will be the same next winter.

When you tards wake up, don’t come crying to me.

• Like (+1) 1