The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

13 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

That's just as pretty much everyone predicted would happen around this time of year.  You believe the proper response would be what exactly.

That is a massive re-write on the history of this thread. 

Look back in the summer and it's post after post by people--including me--saying that we thought there'd be no second wave. That we were bottoming out and the winter would at best see a light rise (to the mockery of many). Magox quoting Alex Berenson every other day. 

No, Fauci and many others predicted things would get a lot worse. Many of us, including our president "it's going to go away" were very wrong. 

Let's not pretend that "everyone" predicted this.

Most on the right did not.

Infectious disease experts, as reported by the media, did. 

Edited by shoshin

33 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Look back in the summer and it's post after post by people--including me--saying that we thought there'd be no second wave. That we were bottoming out and the winter would at best see a light rise (to the mockery of many). Magox quoting Alex Berenson every other day. 

No, Fauci and many others predicted things would get a lot worse. Many of us, including our president "it's going to go away" were very wrong. 

You exhaust me. 

40 minutes ago, shoshin said:

And?

Fauci and the CDC also said as early as May we can't stay locked down we need to open up and kids should be in school.  

The States all re opened (most of them some never opened) per the special magic guidelines they made up as they went along and........

Well?  Trump's fault? 

What exactly were we supposed to do by this point roughly let's say September 1.  What were we specifically Trump supposed to do?   

And spare us he didn't have to hold outdoor peaceful protests rallies.  

Edited by Big Blitz

Will There Be a Reckoning Over Sweden’s Disastrous ‘Herd Immunity’ Strategy?

I was wrong. We won’t have to wait until the end of the pandemic to know that Sweden’s strategy was a preventable disaster. And I suspect it won’t take generations for Swedes to demand a reckoning over what went so horrifically wrong.

Today, Swedish health care workers are battling a catastrophic surge of coronavirus infections and deaths. Intensive care units in the Stockholm region, which authorities predicted would be the best protected by their lax approach, now exceed 100 percent of capacity.

Hundreds of Swedes are dying every week, adding to the more than 7,800 COVID-19 deaths since the start of the pandemic. Meanwhile, across the border in Norway, the coronavirus has been kept well under control using accepted public health methods like lockdowns and other restrictions.

While 1,400 people died in Sweden in the past month, Norway counted 100 deaths. Norway’s total pandemic death toll is 383 people. The death rate in Norway from COVID-19 is 74 people per million; it is more than 10 times higher in Sweden, at 770.

https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/articles/29296/in-sweden-herd-immunity-has-failed-tragically-will-there-be-a-reckoning

On 12/17/2020 at 9:04 AM, LeGOATski said:

My MIL is a huge Trump supporter, but also an anti-vaxxer. As the Trump administration is pushing the vaccine and Pence is televising his own vaccination, watching her struggle is kinda funny.

The Pence Vaccination Holiday Special is pretty weird to me. Sorry if this has been talked about too much already, but I figured people would be commenting on it in this thread.

Does anyone else find it odd? Weird in an off-putting way?

Good for Pence.  Lead by example.  It's the quickest way back to normal.

On 12/17/2020 at 12:40 PM, Big Blitz said:

1. My father is one of those health care workers in Buffalo.  He has repeatedly told me as if I don't know, its a serious virus, I've seen it, I know colleagues that got it........but we're not near capacity or any breaking point......we did what we were told.... what we're essentially doing is giving in to fear at this point.  In March I was very worried.  Not anymore. 

2. Trump isn't to blame for the mitigation destroying 50 million kids. 

Kids aren't playing school sports?  Why?  Kids aren't at least at half capacity.  Why?   Where is the science that says they shouldn't be doing these things?  It should be up to them and their parents and if the concern is death, the math says they should continue to avoid grandma because the average age of death remains over 74 years old.  Their protection does not require shutting down society.  

Your dad keeps reminding you because you truly don't know it.  What you accept is that other people feel that way.  

And here in Ohio some of our smaller hospitals came very close to breaking point and our overall capacity has been tested far more than in the spring.  The fear is justified. 

Taking a cue from your dad, maybe your kids look like they want to slit their wrists because of your unhelpful spewing about the situation more than anything.

What could dip schitt Donald have done?  He could have realized the best economic path lies in masking and distancing until vaccination.  Lead by example, wearing a  mask and make clear that our precautionary actions are to help others and if everyone does so it helps ourselves.  Encourage people to get out safely and creatively modify their favorite activities to account for the safety restrictions.

As a divorced dad for 8 years now, spare me your histrionics of 50 million children destroyed.  Kids are resilient, take them to the parks, play board games, lead your family in a positive way.

Assuming you are in NY, I agree with your frustration over Komrade Cuomo.  We had school in Ohio, fall sports but then community spread forced the schools to close back down before Thanksgiving.  It is noteworthy that my schools followed strict procedures and there was no significant spread among the kids and teachers.

Edited by GaryPinC

2 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

Taking a cue from your dad, maybe your kids look like they want to slit their wrists because of your unhelpful spewing about the situation more than anything.

What could dip schitt Donald have done?  He could have realized the best economic path lies in masking and distancing until vaccination.

I'm the exact opposite of what you imagine I'm like around my kids.  This is my outlet and my own time to relieve stress while discussing the issues.  

Masking and distancing until a vaccine that may have never happened was unsustainable and unacceptable never mind tyrannical.  They were mocking Trumps claims we would have one by the end of the year to only add to the fear:

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/17/2020 at 10:03 AM, TH3 said:

Here is why Einstein,

My parents live in a Senior Living Campus in WNY. The campus has been fortunate to keep the virus out until just recently. MANY of the residents have helping staff come in to help the residents - they are not employees of the center - but they are a vital cog of the ecosystem of these facilities.  My mother has dementia and needs help at almost everything - but she is not ready for memory care. My Dad cannot handle the dawn to dusk load of this and help comes in. Help is typically younger moms picking up some part time work.  The facility has been testing these incoming helpers on a weekly basis - but that doesn't guarantee anything. Recently an outbreak occurred in one of the wings...20 affected 3 dead. 

So post your graphs and make fun of medical care workers blowing off some steam....You clearly have the luxury of not having to think about the effects of this virus on your life - but know that your observations on what should be happening in our country are based on YOUR position. 

Thanks, I love all the people who are miserable about health care workers showing any signs of enjoying life. It’s a real blast going to work everyday wondering when it’s your turn to test positive. Dancing on break doesn’t make the pandemic any less real. I grew around several baby boomers who had kids they brought home from the Vietnam War.  Does that mean the war was any less real ? I don’t think so. I don’t care what anyone thinks about this pandemic, and I rarely venture into PPP, but I see this narrative that it’s “fake news” because of Tik Tok videos to be very frustrating to me. 

Edited by SirAndrew

Looking at the possibility of rationing care in Southern California.  In areas like this you should absolutely stay home if you can financially afford to.  Here's a little snippet....  This vaccine can't get here quick enough. 

Instead of trying everything to save a patient, their goal during a crisis is to save as many patients as possible, meaning those less likely to survive will not receive the same level of care they would have otherwise. Doctors will no longer be pulling out all the stops to save a life but instead strategizing about how to keep as many people as possible from perishing.

15 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Thanks, I love all the people who are miserable about health care workers showing any signs of enjoying life. It’s a real blast going to work everyday wondering when it’s your turn to test positive. Dancing on break doesn’t make the pandemic any less real. I grew around several baby boomers who had kids they brought home from the Vietnam War.  Does that mean the war was any less real ? I don’t think so. I don’t care what anyone thinks about this pandemic, and I rarely venture into PPP, but I see this narrative that it’s “fake news” because of Tik Tok videos to be very frustrating to me. 

My cousin's wife works as a doctor in ER in Columbus, OH.  The way and rate these patients die at has gotten to her as she's just mentally exhausted and on the verge of burnout.  Yet she keeps working her seven 12 hour shifts a week.  I sense in general that front line health care workers aren't getting enough praise.

• Like (+1) 1

Just got my vaccine 20 minutes ago.  I work in health care with direct patient contact, I am 65, and I have asthma so I qualified as one of the ones to get it.  The process was very straightforward.  You sign up for a CDC site to let them know about any adverse effects you might get, and the injection itself was easy; hardly felt the needle at all.  They then had me wait around for 15 minutes in case I developed any severe allergic reaction, which I did not.  They also sign you up for your second injection while on site and you get a reminder from the CDC site to be sure you get the second shot.  

When you get your chance to get the vaccine, do so.  Let's beat this damn thing!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Just got my vaccine 20 minutes ago.  I work in health care with direct patient contact, I am 65, and I have asthma so I qualified as one of the ones to get it.  The process was very straightforward.  You sign up for a CDC site to let them know about any adverse effects you might get, and the injection itself was easy; hardly felt the needle at all.  They then had me wait around for 15 minutes in case I developed any severe allergic reaction, which I did not.  They also sign you up for your second injection while on site and you get a reminder from the CDC site to be sure you get the second shot.  

When you get your chance to get the vaccine, do so.  Let's beat this damn thing!

Thanks for the first hand reporting. When is your second shot? How long from now? 
Keep us all informed on your experience.