The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Did we hit Magox's new predicted lows on deaths in October? He was always saying how right he's been at every step. So many posters here bought into that. Wrong again. 

For the record (again), I thought we'd hit new lows in September and see no second wave. Turns out Fauci was a lot smarter than me on pandemics. 

Vaccine news from Pfizer is fantastic. 

In a major boost to vaccine development, Pfizer and its collaborator BioNTech released early study results Monday indicating that their vaccine, BNT162b2, prevented more than 90% of infections with the virus that causes COVID-19.

In the newly released data on the first 94 trial participants to come down with COVID-19, the vaccine was found to be more than 90% effective in preventing the disease. Half the participants received a placebo and half the vaccine, so the new data shows that more people who received the placebo than the vaccine came down with COVID-19.

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 3

On 11/3/2020 at 10:08 PM, spartacus said:

tomorrow Trump fires Fauci

Ooops!   The American people chose Fauci over Covid Donnie by more than 4 and a half million votes.

On 11/3/2020 at 11:34 PM, TBBills said:

I heard the vaccine comes out tomorrow and will be in our drinking water.

Actually the good news on Pfizer's vaccine came out a week too late to help Covid Donnie.    Maybe it was karma or maybe it was Pfizer refusing to be used politically.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Ooops!   The American people chose Fauci over Covid Donnie by more than 4 and a half million votes.

Actually the good news on Pfizer's vaccine came out a week too late to help Covid Donnie.    Maybe it was karma or maybe it was Pfizer refusing to be used politically.

How many times do we have to tell you? It’s pronounced Karmala! 

First of all, this has nothing to do with your favorite president.  Blumpft is the furthest thing from this guys mind.  This dude in the photo would rather die than comply with the face diaper suggestion.  I applaud his choice in life; a human should have this choice.  I on the other hand just go along with the mask mandates, so I can try to eek out a living.  And the CDC just said the mask does offer the wearer protection, so maybe we should just mind our own business?

The only option left when Biden takes control is to institute military law.  Arrest nonconformists on the spot.  Use armed guards like many other countries do.  Do you guys agree with this?  What else is left on the table?

24 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

First of all, this has nothing to do with your favorite president.  Blumpft is the furthest thing from this guys mind.  This dude in the photo would rather die than comply with the face diaper suggestion.  I applaud his choice in life; a human should have this choice.  I on the other hand just go along with the mask mandates, so I can try to eek out a living.  And the CDC just said the mask does offer the wearer protection, so maybe we should just mind our own business?

The only option left when Biden takes control is to institute military law.  Arrest nonconformists on the spot.  Use armed guards like many other countries do.  Do you guys agree with this?  What else is left on the table?

Biden can’t do that. In Indiana where I live the governor has emergency powers he can use to shut the state down or put out a mask mandate.  He did the latter earlier, but had no penalty for it.  I think he should have had a fine for the first violation followed by a limited time in jail for the next.

Many earlier coronavirus clusters were linked to nursing homes and crowded nightclubs. But public health officials nationwide say case investigations are increasingly leading them to small, private social gatherings. This behind-doors transmission trend reflects pandemic fatigue and widening social bubbles, experts say — and is particularly insidious because it is so difficult to police and likely to increase as temperatures drop and holidays approach.

The White House coronavirus task force has been urging states that are virus hot spots to curtail maskless get-togethers of family and friends, saying in reports that asymptomatic attendees “cause ongoing transmission, frequently infecting multiple people in a single gathering.”

As new daily cases in the United States surpassed 145,000 on Wednesday, New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo (D) announced a 10-person limit on gatherings in private homes, calling them a “great spreader.” Similar restrictions have been imposed in states including Ohio, Utah, Connecticut and Colorado, where one recent cluster involved seven people infected while playing the dice game bunco, and Rhode Island, whose governor has pledged to fine violators. Oregon last week announced a “pause” in hard-hit counties on most groups larger than six people.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/at-dinner-parties-and-game-nights-casual-american-life-is-fueling-the-coronavirus-surge/ar-BB1aWRBU

36 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Biden can’t do that. In Indiana where I live the governor has emergency powers he can use to shut the state down or put out a mask mandate.  He did the latter earlier, but had no penalty for it.  I think he should have had a fine for the first violation followed by a limited time in jail for the next.

Jesus wept no.

The way to proceed is through education about the pandemic, discussion of how to best protect people, and getting actual buy in. 

We should not be frigging jailing non-mask wearers FFS. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Jesus wept no.

The way to proceed is through education about the pandemic, discussion of how to best protect people, and getting actual buy in. 

We should not be frigging jailing non-mask wearers FFS. 

I recognize my opinion is controversial.  We’ve tried your approach and people are either too stubborn or ignorant to buy in.  Case in point: I was traveling to Kentucky yesterday and pulled in for gas.  I went into the Speedway to get a drink and saw about a dozen people in line, close together, no masks.  I of course quickly backed out.

This is a public health crisis.  It demands that level of response.  If you have people willfully putting others at harm then there needs to be consequences.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I recognize my opinion is controversial.  We’ve tried your approach and people are either too stubborn or ignorant to buy in.  Case in point: I was traveling to Kentucky yesterday and pulled in for gas.  I went into the Speedway to get a drink and saw about a dozen people in line, close together, no masks.  I of course quickly backed out.

This is a public health crisis.  It demands that level of response.  If you have people willfully putting others at harm then there needs to be consequences.

Not to sound like the dearly departed friends, but you're insane. 

No one has tried an education and community building campaign from the top. No one. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1