The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

14 hours ago, WideNine said:

The fact that people from China flew into the US via the largest airport on the West Coast (LAX) is kind of academic if you consider you know...geography. I doubt it has much to do with politics on the left coast, also, the Federal government and the CDC were in charge of monitoring and restricting entry at our 5 biggest airports servicing Asian countries.

A more accurate way to describe Trump’s Jan. 31 proclamation is as a “restriction” on travel from mainland China — not as an outright ban. There were numerous exemptions in place that appeared to nullify the goal of preventing travel into the country to stop the spread of the virus. These exemptions included people traveling from the Special Autonomous Regions of Hong Kong and Macau, and U.S. citizens, residents, their spouses, and close relatives. 

Exemptions: https://archive.li/cfUMD#selection-347.0-357.1

The exemptions are listed in section 2, I did not copy them here.

Even before the restriction was imposed, Americans and other nationalities came into the U.S. from mainland China unabated. According to an April 2020 report from The New York Times, at least 430,000 people arrived in the United States on direct flights from China since the outbreak was reported on the last day of 2019, including nearly 40,000 in the two months after the February restrictions were put in place. Thousands of these travelers flew directly from Wuhan. At least 60% of the travelers arriving in the U.S. on direct flights from China in February were not American citizens, according to government data.

Screening and monitoring of many travelers was found to be sporadic, and the data shared with states was incorrect, plagued by bad telephone numbers, erroneous itineraries, and travelers even claiming they had never been to China. According to internal notes and emails received by The Associated Press, there were numerous examples of travelers slipping through the cracks in the system.

Basically, the federal travel restriction response amounted to a porous proclamation then a cluster **** that lacked the tools, resources, and coordination to be implemented effectively.

....the 8,000 passed through JFK according to what was published.................

48 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....the 8,000 passed through JFK according to what was published.................

As I said, it was the Fed and the CDC responsible for policing our international airports...and are you reversing course on your Big Fedoland comment?

Dems and Republicans alike share the blame for a country poorly prepared to take the appropriate measures to counter a pandemic. 

The first SARS virus was shot across the bow, but little real preparation happened, then MERS, and an outbreak of ebola that had front line experts working to contain it horrified it could mutate and spread. 

Stopping folks coming into the country had little effect once the COVID-19 virus had already established itself.

It takes just one person at a party, or a church choir practice to turn one into 60. With sporadic and insufficient contact tracing combined with the added asymptomatic spread meant careless folks that feel fine spread it to others.

It is a well-evolved virus for doing what it does, hang around and keep spreading. The best we can realistically do is keep riding the brakes so we do not overwhelm our healthcare systems and work towards a vaccine.

Not enough resources or masks for front line workers, no ability to really test or trace effectively.

That is bureaucracy. The wheels do not move till tragedy strikes.

It was Trump's ill-conceived war against wearing masks and following the science when he was told, he was told by top infectious disease experts early on how contagious the virus was, that I cannot forgive.

It was a callous disregard for American lives in the name of political survival.

It was that stance that had GOP-led states like Florida and Texas keeping bars and beaches open and never really following the Phased opening guidance.

Folks from Washington and California flout rules with the best of the far-right idiots in their maskless mass gatherings, so safe to say they never adhered to their state mandates either.

This pandemic does not have political affiliations, but may well be the downfall of Trump and serve as an object lesson for future administrations.

Edited by WideNine
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, WideNine said:

As I said, it was the Fed and the CDC responsible for policing our international airports...and are you reversing course on your Big Fedoland comment?

Dems and Republicans alike share the blame for a country poorly prepared to take the appropriate measures to counter a pandemic. 

The first SARS virus was shot across the bow, but little real preparation happened, then MERS, and an outbreak of ebola that had front line experts working to contain it horrified it could mutate and spread. 

Stopping folks coming into the country had little effect once the COVID-19 virus had already established itself.

It takes just one person at a party, or a church choir practice to turn one into 60. With sporadic and insufficient contact tracing combined with the added asymptomatic spread meant careless folks that feel fine spread it to others.

It is a well-evolved virus for doing what it does, hang around and keep spreading. The best we can realistically do is keep riding the brakes so we do not overwhelm our healthcare systems and work towards a vaccine.

Not enough resources or masks for front line workers, no ability to really test or trace effectively.

That is bureaucracy. The wheels do not move till tragedy strikes.

It was Trump's ill-conceived war against wearing masks and following the science when he was told, he was told by top infectious disease experts early on how contagious the virus was, that I cannot forgive.

It was a callous disregard for American lives in the name of political survival.

It was that stance that had GOP-led states like Florida and Texas keeping bars and beaches open and never really following the Phased opening guidance.

Folks from Washington and California flout rules with the best of the far-right idiots in their maskless mass gatherings, so safe to say they never adhered to their state mandates either.

This pandemic does not have political affiliations, but may well be the downfall of Trump and serve as an object lesson for future administrations.

Nice manifesto there. Of course it’s just your opinion and I disagree with virtually all of it.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 10/26/2020 at 7:06 AM, 4merper4mer said:

Watched the Sea/Az game last night.  They played for 3+ hours and it went to OT.  The captains wore masks at midfield for the coin flip.  Shirley they can't be serious with that crap.

53470-winter-beautiful-snow-crystal.jpg

37 minutes ago, Melania Trump said:

53470-winter-beautiful-snow-crystal.jpg

I wouldn't say that.  I think they are simply following instructions no matter how silly or ridiculous those instructions are.  That's a cool picture you uploaded....great photography, but a better description might be:

There are overlaps with snowflakes but it isn't really the same thing.

Edited by 4merper4mer

20 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yet another really low death count over the weekend.  Good thing this world-ending Pandemic operates under the biblical principle of resting on the Seventh Day.

https://www.zerohedge.com/medical/follow-science-12-million-covid-deaths-edition

1 million or 1.2 million deaths worldwide sounds like a big number and on its own you can use it to club “Covidiots” into silence, that is, until you actually look at it.

Right now the slope of the case count far exceeds the slope of the fatalities.

For the fatalities to come in anywhere near the Second Wave of 1918 scenario, the slope of the fatality line needs to blast off in a near vertical line right now. In the Ivor Cummins interview he mentioned Dr. Sunetra Gupta’s work indicating that COVID seems to peter out when it hits 20% of the population (but I can’t find the cite). If true, it is hard to envision a scenario where that is mathematically possible.

If not true, and we’re about to experience a Second Wave of fatalities, it would be impossible to occur without seeing it in the data and right now, all of the data, everywhere is showing either a moderate rise with seasonality, or an aggregate, overall decrease in fatalities.

All of this should be good news, but for some reason, people become very upset when you try to walk them through this. I’m open to all logic, data and science based objections or counter-points to where I am wrong on this, bearing in mind that “SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO THE GOVERNMENT AND SCIENCE” isn’t a logical, scientific or data driven counter-argument.

5 hours ago, spartacus said:

All of this should be good news, but for some reason, people become very upset when you try to walk them through this. I’m open to all logic, data and science based objections or counter-points to where I am wrong on this, bearing in mind that “SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO THE GOVERNMENT AND SCIENCE” isn’t a logical, scientific or data driven counter-argument.

Science isn't as much of a "thing", as it is a "method". What we are seeing here is the scientific method play out in real time. The media has no patience for that sort of thing, so they keep running to the microphone each time a new experiment tells them what they want to hear. I hope these people never sit on a jury!  They would be a nightmare to the lawyers on BOTH sides of the case.

Edited by SoCal Deek

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

What level of stupidity is holding a rally during a pandemic? 

43 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

what level of stupidity is protesting during a pandemic?

Let's level stupidy during a pandemic on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the height of stupidity.

1. Holding a rally during a pandemic is an 10.

2. Attending a rally during a pandemic is an 8.

3. Protesting during a pandemic is a 4. 

Subtract 2 from the bottom two scores if you are wearing a mask.

What do you think the levels are @aristocrat?

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Let's level stupidy during a pandemic on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the height of stupidity.

1. Holding a rally during a pandemic is an 10.

2. Attending a rally during a pandemic is an 8.

3. Protesting during a pandemic is a 4. 

Subtract 2 from the bottom two scores if you are wearing a mask.

What do you think the levels are @aristocrat?

15 days to stop the spread