The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, fansince88 said:

https://nypost.com/2020/08/05/mask-mouth-is-a-seriously-stinky-side-effect-of-wearing-masks/ Her Dentist is telling her she needs to be open less and wear a mask less. He knows her history and that she never had a problem. you know how he knows that? Because he has seen her for the last 15 years twice a year. You teach what you know. Go out and learn some more instead of saying what you dont know. 

While masks are not negotiable given the times, Sclafani says there are things wearers can do to avoid their grossest side effect: drink more water, cut down on caffeine, snag a humidifier (to “help moisten the air”), use an alcohol-free mouthwash, scrape your tongue and don’t smoke.

And If all else fails? “Just breathe through your nose!”

Seems like their might be some solutions.

9 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

It is not just a bad flu.  The mortality rate is 5-10 times higher, there is no vaccine, and it can be spread by asymptomatic infected persons.  Sweden’s trial is proving to be mistaken; their per capita mortality rate is much higher than other European countries.

I’ve already  addressed  your misconceptions about the study you cite.

The idea of masks is to hold down spread of droplets by the wearer.  That has always been a consistent position.  What the CDC Director is saying is that if we ALL wear masks right now it would be more effective than a vaccine.

Yoyr approach would kill a lot of people.  How many American citizens do you think are expendable?  Give me a number.  Or maybe the thing to do, since the elderly are more affected, is to pick an age and anyone over that age should just be humanely sacrificed now.  What age would you select?

Yeah. That’s a bad flu. By the end of it, IFR might turn out to be closer to 2X seasonal flu. So bloody what. Worth destroying the world Over?

Sweden was right. Their deaths per 100k is less than Italy, Spain, UK, Belgium. All countries that have undergone extreme lockdown. Not to mention are seeing rising second spikes in deaths (Sweden is not). 
I guess from your virtue signalling you want to outlaw dying forever. How impoverished does the world have to get to protect our senior citizens?  Why do you treat old people like children?  Don’t you know they can make the decision for themselves how much risk they want to take?  Why should healthy populations be locked down and forced to undergo rigorous psychological revaluations of lifestyle. To protect a bunch of geezers?  Please. This has never been done before in history and it will not end well. 
thanks China!

11 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Yeah. That’s a bad flu. By the end of it, IFR might turn out to be closer to 2X seasonal flu. So bloody what. Worth destroying the world Over?

Sweden was right. Their deaths per 100k is less than Italy, Spain, UK, Belgium. All countries that have undergone extreme lockdown. Not to mention are seeing rising second spikes in deaths (Sweden is not). 
I guess from your virtue signalling you want to outlaw dying forever. How impoverished does the world have to get to protect our senior citizens?  Why do you treat old people like children?  Don’t you know they can make the decision for themselves how much risk they want to take?  Why should healthy populations be locked down and forced to undergo rigorous psychological revaluations of lifestyle. To protect a bunch of geezers?  Please. This has never been done before in history and it will not end well. 
thanks China!

So old people have no value.  That’s nice.  Tell you parents or grandparents.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

So old people have no value.  That’s nice.  Tell you parents or grandparents.

Who says they don’t have value?  I treat older people like the elders they are. With respect. I don’t tell them what to do. They do what they want. My parents are in their 70s. Quite healthy. They are free to be as cautious or as flippant as they choose. 
I guess you must really value old people. Like soooo much?  Enough that you don’t visit any of them?  Or if you are one, do you wear a space suit when someone younger than you appears in your vaunted presence?

22 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Who says they don’t have value?  I treat older people like the elders they are. With respect. I don’t tell them what to do. They do what they want. My parents are in their 70s. Quite healthy. They are free to be as cautious or as flippant as they choose. 
I guess you must really value old people. Like soooo much?  Enough that you don’t visit any of them?  Or if you are one, do you wear a space suit when someone younger than you appears in your vaunted presence?

I am one of the older people and I have patients I see every day.  I wear a mask to protect them and they wear masks to protect me.  I teach college students every week and we do the same for each other.

You used the phrase protect a bunch of geezers.  I’m sure your parents are happy to be thought of that way.

2 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Nope. Not so isolated. But go ahead. Keep making excuses. I will, well, follow the doctors. https://nypost.com/2020/08/05/mask-mouth-is-a-seriously-stinky-side-effect-of-wearing-masks/

Great job picking a small piece of the statement and making a point. Climb that hill alone.

I smell a rat in this story that your wife's hairdresser is telling and in the claims of the dentist in the news story, Rob Raimondi.   That story was published in early August, less than 4 months after Cuomo issued his mask mandate.   Hair salons in most of NY only opened in May, and in NYC only in late June.   Raimondi operates in Manhattan (I looked him up) so he'd be seeing patients from within NYC.  Gum disease isn't a problem that develops over a few weeks but over months or more commonly, years, of poor oral hygiene.

Wearing masks may very well exacerbate existing gum problems but it's not likely to have caused the problem within weeks or months in people who didn't have gum disease to begin with.  Moreover, I'm suspicious of this claim because health care workers have been wearing masks for hours at a time for decades without having noticeable gum problems, but this "problem" suddenly surfaces within months of the governor issuing a mask mandate.

1 hour ago, Bakin said:

thanks China!

image.thumb.png.b0adcee9c89ad49aaf95f426f6dd1429.png

per CDC, 2020  total deaths consistent with prior 3 years

what happened to the 200k of "Covid" coded deaths? 

seems a whole lot of other deaths have been coded as "covid" deaths due to financials incentives to do so

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I am one of the older people and I have patients I see every day.  I wear a mask to protect them and they wear masks to protect me.  I teach college students every week and we do the same for each other.

You used the phrase protect a bunch of geezers.  I’m sure your parents are happy to be thought of that way.

They are geezers and so are you. Welcome to your golden years. Hide in your basement if you see fit. No one is stopping you. Don’t advocate the destruction of the world to protect your generation. 

1 hour ago, spartacus said:

seems a whole lot of other deaths have been coded as "covid" deaths due to financials incentives to do so

Do you have a link to those numbers?  I was under the impression that excess deaths were higher year over year. Maybe 10% but certainly not enough for us to DESTROY THE ENTIRE GLOBAL ECONOMY....

In addition, the pro lockdown pro mask pandemistas will tell you “imagine how bad it would have been had we not DESTROYED THE ENTIRE WORLD ECONOMY!!!”

just wait for it. 

One word: Sweden. 

Edited by Bakin

12 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

That study with the 80% is being misconstrued.  What it really showed is those in restaurants and bars/coffee shops where you have to take your mask off had higher infection rates.  I agree on the NYS data; that has always been puzzling.

No.  Absolutely no.  If what you are saying is to forego masks the infection and mortality rates would skyrocket.  You don’t really want that, do you?

Sweden?  
Hello...Sweden???

7 hours ago, Bakin said:

Sweden?  
Hello...Sweden???

Sweden:

5th highest death rate in the world

2nd to the US in slowing down of death rate since the pandemic hit

infection rate climbing again after slowdown in the summer

Not completely open in that restrictions on numbers that can group are in place

Its citizens voluntarily did things like distanced and quarantined when sick, because unlike the US they are willing to work together 

Economic impact has been similar to that of other European countries despite not locking down

Attempt to get herd immunity; estimated 10% in Sweden have Covid antibody but you need around 70% for herd immunity - how many more will get sick and die as they continue their approach?

Deaths affected many elderly in nursing  homes, so geezers died which should make you happy 

Check out the Oct 6th article in Science.  Goes into great detail on how infection and mortality rates in Sweden may be underestimated because sick patients weren’t allowed access to hospitals, among other things.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, spartacus said:

simply not true. Like when you asserted that standards for pcr tests changed but they didn't, deaths for all causes are up. I've linked the CDC data upthread when you posted this earlier and you ignored it and here is more data for both Europe and the US. 

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

Excess deaths is no reason to panic but can we stop with the nonsense that nothing is happening. 

You are a consistent source of misleading data. 

Edited by shoshin

A while back somebody on here quoted the definition of a pandemic and in doing so showed that Covid 19 no longer qualifies as one. Is that still true? I’ll say it again here, for a country as large as the United States this doesn’t feel like a pandemic to me. The roads, stores, and restaurants are all packed! 

Edited by SoCal Deek

29 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

A while back somebody on here quoted the definition of a pandemic and in doing so showed that Covid 19 no longer qualifies as one. Is that still true? I’ll say it again here, for a country as large as the United States this doesn’t feel like a pandemic to me. The roads, stores, and restaurants are all packed! 

A pandemic definition includes a disease that occurs in multiple countries and in large numbers of people.  So Covid qualifies.

What I will continue to say is that we can do things in public like shopping, etc.  but just do so safely.  Wear masks if close together, do things outside in smaller groups, wash your hands.  Yesterday I went to a bar with a friend and had a couple beers, wore our masks in and out and the bar had seating that separated folks.  Went to work this morning and I and my patient had on masks.  Going into church right now; seats are spread out more and we all will disinfect our hands on the way in and wear masks.  And some will join us on line.

We are basically being asked to do three things.  Why we all cannot or will not do that is simply mind boggling.

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Sweden:

Its citizens voluntarily did things like distanced and quarantined when sick, because unlike the US they are willing to work together 

Economic impact has been similar to that of other European countries despite not locking down

Attempt to get herd immunity; estimated 10% in Sweden have Covid antibody but you need around 70% for herd immunity - how many more will get sick and die as they continue their approach?

Deaths affected many elderly in nursing  homes, so geezers died which should make you happy 

Check out the Oct 6th article in Science.  Goes into great detail on how infection and mortality rates in Sweden may be underestimated because sick patients weren’t allowed access to hospitals, among other things.

Yeah you say that but provide no data to back it up.

Sweden DOES NOT have the 5th highest death rate in the world. 
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Eliminate small country outliers and they are 14th. 
and they did this by making the error of not protecting their elderly...

BUT they had no lockdown, no masks.  

Shouldn’t their infection and mortality have ‘exploded’ as you put it?  It should be much higher than every other country that had lockdowns and masks, right amirite?  

cuz lockdowns and masks WORK, right?

How about today?  What’s happening RIGHT NOW in Sweden?  No masks no lockdowns limited social distancing - VIRTUALLY NO DEATHS. 

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?  Shouldn’t the virus be exploding with infection and mortality everywhere?

yes I read the article. Everything may be this or may be that. I would argue that if you read the ‘dry tinder’ argument put forth by several researchers ... that’s a much better explanation as to why some places have excess deaths and others don’t. yes - you geezers are technically the dry tinder. 

this is just another ILI, one of 200 respiratory infections that we will have to deal with. Forever. 99.96% survival rate.

Or, as some of you male Karen’s prefer - let’s just destroy the world to hide from it. 

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Sweden:

...good job Doc......"just keep matriculating these posters back to the sidelines".............👍

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Yeah you say that but provide no data to back it up.

Sweden DOES NOT have the 5th highest death rate in the world. 
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Eliminate small country outliers and they are 14th. 
and they did this by making the error of not protecting their elderly...

BUT they had no lockdown, no masks.  

Shouldn’t their infection and mortality have ‘exploded’ as you put it?  It should be much higher than every other country that had lockdowns and masks, right amirite?  

cuz lockdowns and masks WORK, right?

How about today?  What’s happening RIGHT NOW in Sweden?  No masks no lockdowns limited social distancing - VIRTUALLY NO DEATHS. 

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?  Shouldn’t the virus be exploding with infection and mortality everywhere?

yes I read the article. Everything may be this or may be that. I would argue that if you read the ‘dry tinder’ argument put forth by several researchers ... that’s a much better explanation as to why some places have excess deaths and others don’t. yes - you geezers are technically the dry tinder. 

this is just another ILI, one of 200 respiratory infections that we will have to deal with. Forever. 99.96% survival rate.

Or, as some of you male Karen’s prefer - let’s just destroy the world to hide from it. 

So you have to eliminate data to make your argument.  Perfect.

Their mortality and infection rates are higher than most every country.  That is fact.

Spare me the gratuitous Karen insults.  We can do things to mitigate spread and still be out doing the things we want to do.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

So you have to eliminate data to make your argument.  Perfect.

Their mortality and infection rates are higher than most every country.  That is fact.

Spare me the gratuitous Karen insults.  We can do things to mitigate spread and still be out doing the things we want to do.

...we call that "convenient omission".............