The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Bingo! You don’t hang around Washington for as long as he has by being super smart. You hang around by playing politics. Fauci is a first class court jester.

Rand Paul challenging Fauci on herd immunity stopping the number of cases, not masks or lockdowns

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/watch-fauci-schools-rand-paul-on-herd-immunity-youre-not-listening-2020-09-23

1 hour ago, arcane said:

Actually, I'm not going to post the plot because I'm not convinced data lag/reporting is finished yet. 

Yeah, 45 is literally insane. If we tested for any other virus like this we'd be ordered to never leave our bedrooms again 

...you and Spartucus seem VERY well connected with some major hiccups/fallacies in testing/CDC guidelines.....can you provide a Cliff Notes version in layperson's perspective?....if overtesting is as blatant as you folks think, what drove the CDC to do so?.......thank you guys...........

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...you and Spartucus seem VERY well connected with some major hiccups/fallacies in testing/CDC guidelines.....can you provide a Cliff Notes version in layperson's perspective?....if overtesting is as blatant as you folks think, what drove the CDC to do so?.......thank you guys...........

I'm at work right now but I can try to summarize to the best of my knowledge later. I am merely repeating what I've read from actual MDs with my own layman understanding (though I do have a knack for reading scientific papers because of a stem background so that has helped along the way).

For now, just because we CAN be extremely sensitive with our measurements, we shouldn't just dial it up well past the point necessary for detecting a minimally transmissable/sickening viral load. But we do this, and base legislation off of the results of this testing. This gives a lot of unnatural behavior, in the form of flattening numbers in a lot of places (in reality, viral curves are never flat/in equilibrium in nature over long periods of time). 

Edited by arcane

7 minutes ago, arcane said:

I'm at work right now but I can try to summarize to the best of my knowledge later. I am merely repeating what I've read from actual MDs with my own layman understanding (though I do have a knack for reading scientific papers because of a stem background so that has helped along the way).

For now, just because we CAN be extremely sensitive with our measurements, we shouldn't just dial it up well past the point necessary for detecting a minimally transmissable/sickening viral load. But we do this, and base legislation off of the results of this testing. This gives a lot of unnatural behavior, in the form of flattening numbers in a lot of places (in reality, viral curves are never flat/in equilibrium in nature over long periods of time). 

...apologize for interrupting you at work, but MUCHO thanks here for your perspective......but it certainly lends major credence to overhyped, oversold and overbought paranoia......certainly, human instinct is "fear of the unknown" which I submit Covid-19 was....and yes perhaps the paranoia led to overreaction and/or overthinking.....the forecasted numbers of US deaths lend credence to that IMO...200K, 1 million, 2million, etc......it is incumbent upon the scientific community to conduct their work objectively, unimpeded by political pressures....can they do it?....are there CDC or NIH political pressures?.....does the scientific community, and I'd bet very conservative in nature, reveal their findings with no implications?....this is the first pandemic (or so) the nation has faced since circa 1917/1918.....errors, overreaction et al are to be expected....we're talking a 93 YEAR SPREAD....

4 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

Hang in there, Canada bro.  If you linger around here long enough, @Tiberius can tell you how even Canada's virus numbers are Dlumpfs fault.

Thanks for the notification, I had no idea I was living in your empty head rent free. 

Trump lied people died. I hope they ask Ms Barrett if a president can be held liable for lying to the public about the dangers of a pandemic. 

Every single governor not going full Indiana Florida or South Dakota is a giant ...

There is no pandemic.  Just a rigged election and horrified Karens.

Lol remember when Birx once lied and said at 5% we can be back to normal....lolol. 

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Usually as the Thanksgiving holiday approaches, we’re hit with many articles from media outlets about “how to discuss politics with your Trump-supporting uncle” or similar takes.

The CDC is trying to make that problem go completely away by simply recommending not hosting family for Thanksgiving, or at least getting together virtually. Why? COVID-19, of course:

itsano-620x310.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Usually as the Thanksgiving holiday approaches, we’re hit with many articles from media outlets about “how to discuss politics with your Trump-supporting uncle” or similar takes.

The CDC is trying to make that problem go completely away by simply recommending not hosting family for Thanksgiving, or at least getting together virtually. Why? COVID-19, of course:

itsano-620x310.png

I accommodated this mindset for Easter. Not again.

• Like (+1) 2

I've been looking for this info. 

The NFL is aware that they only have to worry about a Ct positive that would be conducive to a player who is probably already showing symptoms, which is why we're seeing everyone play every week, while getting a barrage of cases everywhere else. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I used to drop into this thread way more often. Now only occasionally. I have to admit that I’ve become 100% bored with Covid 19. The numbers haven’t moved substantially in months now, yet every day the MSM screams in glee about a ‘spike’ somewhere in the country. If you take the long picture view you’ll see that day after day after day over half the country has had little or no impact from this killer virus and that out health care system has NOT been overwhelmed even in the midst of a peak in new infections anywhere!  In a nutshell....wait for it....”it is, what it is”. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, B-Man said:

That's odd, how is that some yokels from a Bills football message board knew this would be the case yet many of the so-called "experts" didn't?

Some of us have been way ahead of some of these infectious disease doctors on many of these COVID issues.   How can that be?  I'll tell you, one thing that I have learned about this entire COVID experience is that it has so many different layers to it and although people like Fauci and crew have value, it takes more than doctors and experts to come to good decision making.   Data aggregation by data experts who know how to sift through data and come to statistical determinations are probably one of the most important if not most important people that should be part of the decision making.   The infectious disease experts while valuable in helping understand the underlying disease are limited in scope.  They sort of have tunnel vision and just like any doctor, they are trained and used to saying to taking the "safe" and precautious route in just about everything.  

Of course, taking the safe and precautious route has real world implications which in this case involves deleterious effects in wrecking people's livelihoods and mental/physical health.   

They hate Atlas, because Atlas is in the spot light and truth be told, they probably honestly believe that he is giving reckless advice.   I have seen and heard what Atlas has said and there is nothing that he has said that I can think of that I disagree with.  The things he is saying cannot be 100% verified at this time, and going back to what I said earlier these doctors are cautious by nature and Atlas is giving advice that doesn't fit that mold.  But what he says is backed up by statistical probabilities on data he's gone through.   I wish he would have been employed earlier by the Trump task force but in my view he is definitely who Trump would want out there.  These other guys keep saying contradictory things and what they say is very alarmist in nature.   

• Like (+1) 1