The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

14 minutes ago, shoshin said:

And yet, colleges are all the headline rage and more keep shutting down. Infuriating for this parent of a college freshman who is attending online. 

https://www.thecollegefix.com/bulletin-board/brown-u-epidemiologist-finds-zero-hospitalizations-from-26000-positive-covid-tests-for-college-students/?fbclid=IwAR26a-crbrV15l64VPpbnxV5t7bhC5N8dR2JDSJvXzRvY60Yoze7btLho44

https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketball/nfl-confirm-no-positive-covid-19-tests

For game 1- "A total of 3,600 players and team personnel, along with a further 1,400 gameday assistants, were all cleared to play"

On Tuesday 9/8,  "the NFL and NFLPA confirmed there were seven (1 player) positive results for COVID-19 from a total of 44,510 tests administered to 8,349 players and team personnel between August 30 and September 5."

Those masks sure are working for the NFL players.

basically no positive and no sickness.

Who wants to speculate that after the false positive fiasco, the NFL fired a lot of labs and gave specific directions to its contracted testing companies to run no more than 30 cycles in the PCR tests - unlike the rest of America

Magically - nobody in the NFL  is testing positive and nobody is sick

• Like (+1) 4

Florida now has COVID largely under control.

Deaths should begin falling pretty rapidly over the next month..

Also, on a slightly unrelated matter.  All these drops are happening in spite of the schools and the universities reopening.   As far as I'm concerned, the college kids getting infected with the virus and staying largely quarantined to a degree with each other is not the worst thing that could happen.   They'll eventually reach herd-like immunity and that will help protect their family members over the longer term.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

Florida now has COVID largely under control.

Deaths should begin falling pretty rapidly over the next month..

Also, on a slightly unrelated matter.  All these drops are happening in spite of the schools and the universities reopening.   As far as I'm concerned, the college kids getting infected with the virus and staying largely quarantined to a degree with each other is not the worst thing that could happen.   They'll eventually reach herd-like immunity and that will help protect their family members over the longer term.

This is very good news.

But be careful about data interpretation. Students returned to school and college quite recently (example: classes began at Univ of Florida on Aug 20). Of course, many returning students were tested, and it is reasonable to assume that those tested presented a vanishingly low rate of infection; after all, they were tested as part of a population survey, not because they were symptomatic. It may be a few weeks before we know whether this is a real bend in the curve or a function of the characteristics of the tested population.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, B-Man said:

EXPECT MORE COVID RESTRICTIONS:

If you think Covid restrictions like California’s ridiculously detailed anti-indoor church regs are going away any time soon,

Dr. Anthony Fauci has some news for you.

Hint: You ain’t gonna like it

Hopefully we get more rulings like this so we never see this lock down nonsense again:

Pennsylvania's pandemic restrictions are unconstitutional, judge rules

Lawsuit was filed by Butler, Greene, Washington and Fayette counties

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf's closing of "non-life-sustaining" businesses and restrictions on gatherings during the COVID-19 pandemic were ruled unconstitutional by a federal judge on Monday.

"We're aware of the ruling and are reviewing the decision," a spokesperson for the governor's office said Monday afternoon.

</snip>

Stickman, an appointee of President Donald Trump, wrote in his ruling that the Wolf administration's pandemic policies have been overreaching, arbitrary and violated citizens' constitutional rights.

Stickman ruled in favor of individual and business plaintiffs, and he dismissed the county governments from the case. Individuals who won the favorable ruling include U.S. Rep. Mike Kelly, R-Pa.; state Rep. Daryl Metcalfe, R-Butler; and various businesses including hair salons and the Starlight Drive-In.

The declaratory judgment says
"(1) that the congregate gathering limits imposed by defendants' mitigation orders violate the right of assembly enshrined in the First Amendment;
(2) that the stay-at-home and business closure components of defendants' orders violate the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment; and
(3) that the business closure components of defendants' orders violate the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment."

</snip>

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

This is very good news.

But be careful about data interpretation. Students returned to school and college quite recently (example: classes began at Univ of Florida on Aug 20). Of course, many returning students were tested, and it is reasonable to assume that those tested presented a vanishingly low rate of infection; after all, they were tested as part of a population survey, not because they were symptomatic. It may be a few weeks before we know whether this is a real bend in the curve or a function of the characteristics of the tested population.

Ha, that has been the running joke here since sometime in April - just wait 2 more weeks.

14 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

This is very good news.

You are correct that the universities are essentially running sweeps that are testing symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals.  It's hard to know what the prevalency of those colleges are without knowing the fall admissions. 

However, we do have this number which dates back over a week ago.  If you estimate that the average student admissions are about 10k for the fall semester (I'm totally guessing here) then the prevalency is about 10% or so.    This also takes into account only ACTIVE cases.   

No photo description available.

The country as a whole which takes into account the colleges and schools have steadily been dropping.  Even in the face of all this, it's encouraging to seeing drops considering a statistically notable portion of them come from the universities.  

I would suspect that anywhere from 2-10% of these students had COVID previously that are not recorded in these numbers.

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

You are correct that the universities are essentially running sweeps that are testing symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals.  It's hard to know what the prevalency of those colleges are without knowing the fall admissions. 

However, we do have this number which dates back over a week ago.  If you estimate that the average student admissions are about 10k for the fall semester (I'm totally guessing here) then the prevalency is about 10% or so.    This also takes into account only ACTIVE cases.   

No photo description available.

The country as a whole which takes into account the colleges and schools have steadily been dropping.  Even in the face of all this, it's encouraging to seeing drops considering a statistically notable portion of them come from the universities.  

I would suspect that anywhere from 2-10% of these students had COVID previously that are not recorded in these numbers.

I agree with this part -- the rate of any significant complications of an infection with college age or younger persons appears to be very low. Again, good news. I think colleges are doing the right thing by not sending COVID-positive students home, but rather isolating them for 14 days, thereby avoiding the larger risk of transmission to older persons. We are learning a lot about the behavior of this virus. It's easy to forget that we (in the United States) have only about 6 months of experience with it since it began to infect significant numbers of people.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I agree with this part -- the rate of any significant complications of an infection with college age or younger persons appears to be very low. Again, good news. I think colleges are doing the right thing by not sending COVID-positive students home, but rather isolating them for 14 days, thereby avoiding the larger risk of transmission to older persons. We are learning a lot about the behavior of this virus. It's easy to forget that we (in the United States) have only about 6 months of experience with it since it began to infect significant numbers of people.

does anyone have any "scientific" support for the 14 day quarantine mandated when the "novel virus first made an appearance

this number looks to be as arbitrary as the rest of Covid directives

especially since it has never been modified to reflect 8 months of actual data and reaearch

1 minute ago, spartacus said:

does anyone have any "scientific" support for the 14 day quarantine mandated when the "novel virus first made an appearance

this number looks to be as arbitrary as the rest of Covid directives

especially since it has never been modified to reflect 8 months of actual data and reaearch

The average incubation period appears to be longer than previously thought.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3096653/coronavirus-average-incubation-period-may-be-longer-first

There is a reasonable argument that presumptively infected persons should self-isolate for longer than 14 days, but as with all such things there's an attempt to reach a balance here. 14 days definitely isn't "arbitrary" but that's not to say the standard shouldn't be adjusted based on experience with the disease.

41 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I think colleges are doing the right thing by not sending COVID-positive students home, but rather isolating them for 14 days, thereby avoiding the larger risk of transmission to older persons.

You're damn right.  I told one of my kids who is away at school, "you're not coming home if you get this thing." 

All students getting tested twice a week mandatory. 

2 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

You're damn right.  I told one of my kids who is away at school, "you're not coming home if you get this thing." 

All students getting tested twice a week mandatory. 

...my boss's daughter got sent home after testing positive......now he is showing symptoms and is quarantined for 14 days as well....they get daily texts from the Monroe County (Rochester) Health Dept......another employee visited her ill Mom in Iowa, a state on Big Fredo's list......she is also in quarantine for 14 days and receives same daily Health Dept contacts....