The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

5 hours ago, Magox said:

Deaths and everything else continue to go lower.  Except cases even though it did drop nicely today.  Hope that continues.   I’m still confused by the JH model of expected deaths.  They clearly don’t buy into the T cell + Covid herd-like immunity and believe in the older theory that it re emerges seasonally like the flu.   I’m highly skeptical of that previous theory based on a number of factors.

in any case, another good reporting day.

Good post Magox. Agree with t and b cell. But what i'm worried the most organ damage to people. Learning more right now. bradykinin is interesting going to learn that more tomorrow.  Look up bradykinin if you can man.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

On 9/5/2020 at 10:16 PM, GG said:

What a difference a few months makes?   Wondering what made IHME  do an about face in their estimates?

“Now, people can speculate. People can guess. I think next week, I think two weeks, I think a month,” the New York governor said. “I’m out of that business because we all failed at that business. Right? All the early national experts. Here’s my projection model. Here’s my projection model. They were all wrong. They were all wrong.”

Cuomo’s comments were, in part, an echo of many American’s frustrations with the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) model. The widely regarded Covid-19 model has informed the decision of many state and local leaders, and has had shifting projections of infections and death rates as the country instituted a range of interventions intended to stop the spread of the virus. There have also been ongoing concerns about the effectiveness of the nation’s testing regimes, as well as wariness at some of the guidance of the nation’s top health experts.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sethcohen/2020/05/26/we-all-failed--the-real-reason-behind-ny-governor-andrew-cuomos-surprising-confession/#6fbd428d6fa5

CNBC laughably refers to the IHME in that article as "Key Coronavirus forecast."

I mean wtf are we doing here????

Edited by Big Blitz

11 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

"Cases!" on college campuses!!!   "Long term side effects!!"  

Long term effects is not a reason not to get on with living but there's a growing rise of observational evidence about this, and of course, we have yet to put "long term" between us and this virus yet. 

Smart distancing remains sensible. 

25 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

Could we get a cross aisle presidential ticket of Noem/Gabbard for 2024?  Or this year, either one.

Flip a coin on the Pres/VP. 

Closest we got was McCain choosing Lieberman but he impulsively selected Palin (and her high point was that first amazing press conference...off a cliff after that).

Probably wouldn’t have won anyways but the Palin choice killed his chances with thoughtful moderates and independents. 

Edited by shoshin

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

Closest we got was McCain choosing Lieberman but he impulsive selected Palin. 

Probably wouldn’t have won anyways but the Palin choice killed his chances with thoughtful moderates and independents. 

And Kamala Harris can see Mexico from her house. 

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

Closest we got was McCain choosing Lieberman but he impulsively selected Palin (and her high point was that first amazing press conference...off a cliff after that).

That would have been interesting (McCain/Lieberman).  Palin was a car crash that he should have seen coming.

• Like (+1) 1

An interesting summary of how a few countries approached the pandemic. Common thread of United leadership and national approaches. 

https://www.gatesfoundation.org/TheOptimist/Articles/world-bank-covid19-policy-economics/?utm_source=GF&utm_medium=FB&sf128215489=1&fbclid=IwAR1XKbmP99JqobjaCLmhh9rjc27ommkgfjTHolzj-7SiQJtsKn5dYXSC7MI

Warning: This is from The Gates Foundation. I know that’s a trigger word here! 

20 minutes ago, shoshin said:

An interesting summary of how a few countries approached the pandemic. Common thread of United leadership and national approaches. 

https://www.gatesfoundation.org/TheOptimist/Articles/world-bank-covid19-policy-economics/?utm_source=GF&utm_medium=FB&sf128215489=1&fbclid=IwAR1XKbmP99JqobjaCLmhh9rjc27ommkgfjTHolzj-7SiQJtsKn5dYXSC7MI

Oh brother. No alternative agendas from Bill Gates...I’m sure. The United States is a large, diverse, and free country. We’ve seen two Covid challenges throughout this entire pandemic. First in the NY Metro area and then to a much lesser extent in the southern states of CA, TX and FL. There’ve been no other significant outbreaks across this vast and mobile country despite the media’s clear and consistent rooting for one. This story would’ve looked and been reported on much differently if this were not an election year....period.

Some of us were way out ahead of this.  I wrote a whole thread about it in April.  With each and every passing day more and more data is pointing to the extended lock downs and extreme social distancing measures was the wrong thing to do with some states still applying them today.   There are already more years lost in lives from draconian measures than years lost due to COVID.  By the time it’s all said and done the number will most likely be by at least a factor of 3 and that would be a conservative estimate.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, shoshin said:

I agree the Palin choice ultimately did more harm than good, but make no mistake, McCain was not going to beat Obama regardless of who he picked for VP. 

It was the constant fawning, tingles, creased slacks, adoration of the well-spoken black man versus the political equivalent of Dorf on Golf.

What littler chance McCain  had came to an end when (1) he said we needed to bail out all the people who got home loans they couldn't afford and (2) he was stupid enough to halt his campaign to go to Washington to address the crisis. He was toast, regardless of Palin.

12 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I agree the Palin choice ultimately did more harm than good, but make no mistake, McCain was not going to beat Obama regardless of who he picked for VP. 

It was the constant fawning, tingles, creased slacks, adoration of the well-spoken black man versus the political equivalent of Dorf on Golf.

What littler chance McCain  had came to an end when (1) he said we needed to bail out all the people who got home loans they couldn't afford and (2) he was stupid enough to halt his campaign to go to Washington to address the crisis. He was toast, regardless of Palin.

Yes and I don't think any Republican would have defeated and presentable Democrat in 2008.  Bush's approval and that of the Republican party was in the crapper then and the country was looking for a change in direction.  McCain was a lousy candidate and like so many, more exposure to him weakened his candidacy.  He was good in small doses but really didn't have much else than his angry POW status and a few shiny moments as a Senator. His debate performances as I recall were awful. 

As for Covid, seems to me that politically it's about to start working against the Dems.  People are fed up with the restrictions and can see with their own eyes that it's only a concern for the old and sick.  Otherwise it's no worse symptom-wise than a lot of viruses. 

Edited by keepthefaith

Obama was unbeatable in 2008.   The anti Bush fervor, 2 terms of Bush fatigue, the Great Recession, the most fawning press coverage in US history, Obama being a phenomenal campaigner coupled with McCain being a lousy candidate who didn’t know how to go on offense effectively equaled doom.

28 minutes ago, Magox said:

Some of us were way out ahead of this.  I wrote a whole thread about it in April.  With each and every passing day more and more data is pointing to the extended lock downs and extreme social distancing measures was the wrong thing to do with some states still applying them today.   There are already more years lost in lives from draconian measures than years lost due to COVID.  By the time it’s all said and done the number will most likely be by at least a factor of 3 and that would be a conservative estimate.

...ZERO consideration given to indirect effects......regular medical treatments suspended, mental health effects albeit depression, suicides,  increased family/child abuse under the same roof 24/7, younger children out of their normal learning environment/peer interaction, et al.....here in NYS, we have our very own Prince Andrew now whining to the Feds for $60 BIL to CYA for his gross fiscal mismanagement PRIOR TO Covid-19.....63% of NYS restaurants say they'll never reopen....do the sales tax math loss Big Fredo because of your ineptitude....he's spending $450 MILLION to rehab I-90/NYS Thruway rest stops where you stop to pee, grab a coffee and out the door in 10 minutes....

• Like (+1) 1

Ya think ?

Seattle accused of discrimination for closing park to Christian rally amid left-wing protests

by Valerie Richardson

Original Article

Seattle plans to shut down a park to prevent a Christian rally from being held there on Labor Day even as left-wing protesters descended on the city for a holiday weekend of mass anti-Trump and anti-police demonstrations. Sean Feucht Ministries had scheduled a worship rally Monday at Gas Works Park, but Seattle Parks and Recreation said in a Friday statement that the park would be closed that day “due to anticipated crowding that could impact the public health of residents,” citing the risk of novel coronavirus transmission.

It is about control......

2 hours ago, shoshin said:

We've been through this before.   It would have been impossible to have a national strategy because, it's illegal under US laws, and you can imagine the response if Trump enacted an emergency decree in March.   

• Like (+1) 2