The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Should be full open.  The world knows how to handle it.  Let your locality/region mitigate if HOSPITALIZATIONS not "cases!" get bad.  It's clear to anyone that understands what it's doing it will not infect more than 25% of us before it rapidly starts to burn out.

You're just living in irrational fear at this point to deny that.  Or, you know as soon as its "back to normal" Biden's chances go from 25% (it increases from 5% bc of fraud by mail) to absolute zero.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

You forgot to mention obesity.

Yes, we're going to have a national conversation on working out.  

Sorry if that "shames" anyone but if I'm going to be over masks, you can suck it up with your lack of proper nutrition and exercise.

And no, I don't want numbers to look good.  I want policy that justifies the risk.  We clearly don't understand statistics.

Well, the one the left did understand was Trump had a 90% chance of winning in March.  They understood that.  

When he wins in November they can use those masks to dry their eyes.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/27/2020 at 9:06 AM, BillsFanNC said:

In Pennsylvania the health secretary removed her mother from the nursing home she was staying in the early days of the pandemic.  

And then signed the directive to admit COVID-positive elderly into nursing homes, where it went wildfire in hours, not days in some homes.  

Pennsylvania has a lot of nursing homes.  

The irony is that each of these states had elaborate "field hospitals" constructed that no one used, that could have been used for cases such as these.  

17 minutes ago, dpberr said:

In Pennsylvania the health secretary removed her mother from the nursing home she was staying in the early days of the pandemic.  

And then signed the directive to admit COVID-positive elderly into nursing homes, where it went wildfire in hours, not days in some homes.  

Pennsylvania has a lot of nursing homes.  

The irony is that each of these states had elaborate "field hospitals" constructed that no one used, that could have been used for cases such as these. 

Not using the medical ship nor Javitts for all intents & purposes & keeping the nursing home directive in place into May are the 2 things Cuomo absolutely deserves criticism for.  Cut him slack for March & early April, but those 2 choices were majorly poor decisions and cost 1,000's of lives.

Thought they should've sanitized the subway sooner, but not as certain now that that was as important for limiting transmission as would've initially thought as NYC was most likely up to about 20% exposure by the time that happened.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

Comrade Fauci....paging Comrade Fauci....any thoughts here:

New research out of China suggests that the level of asymptomatic spread of COVID-19 may be less of a threat than is currently widely believed, findings that could influence mitigation measures such as social distancing rules and mask mandates. 

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/new-research-casts-further-doubt-prevalence-asymptomatic-covid-19

The CDC said this in June.......a day later, after liberal outr.....I mean upon careful reflection of that statement they kinda sorta walked it back by calling asymptomatic spread inconclusive with still more research needed up until November 3....I mean till more peer reviewed research is done.

And Fauci didn't think masks were necessary until the Karens of America saw on the news that they wear them in "Asia" so should we.  

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Comrade Fauci....paging Comrade Fauci....any thoughts here:

New research out of China suggests that the level of asymptomatic spread of COVID-19 may be less of a threat than is currently widely believed, findings that could influence mitigation measures such as social distancing rules and mask mandates. 

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/new-research-casts-further-doubt-prevalence-asymptomatic-covid-19

The CDC said this in June.......a day later, after liberal outr.....I mean upon careful reflection of that statement they kinda sorta walked it back by calling asymptomatic spread inconclusive with still more research needed up until November 3....I mean till more peer reviewed research is done.

And Fauci didn't think masks were necessary until the Karens of America saw on the news that they wear them in "Asia" so should we.  

Seems the CDC is just as dumbfounded.  Who woulda known. I mean besides Cuomo who killed as many grandparents as possible. https://www.theblaze.com/news/covid-deaths-percent-coronavirus-cdc?utm_source=theblaze-dailyPM&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily-Newsletter__PM 2020-08-30&utm_term=TheBlaze Daily PM - last 270 days

54 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Good point.  Grandma's nursing home relied on magic to wish the virus away.  Oops.  We miss Grandma.  

27 minutes ago, Gary M said:

image.thumb.png.09b775dfb2cdddae0742c4714361c3be.pngimage.thumb.png.2f960caab75d1e38c84cdf53950dbd37.png

I still can’t help but chuckle at the weekend dip that’s occurred throughout this national ‘crisis’. Only in modern day America would a tremendously fatal virus that’s going to kill us all take Saturday and Sunday off and then spike again on Monday. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I still can’t help but chuckle at the weekend dip that’s occurred throughout this national ‘crisis’. Only in modern day America would a tremendously fatal virus that’s going to kill us all take Saturday and Sunday off and then spike again on Monday. 

It is funny and really DUMB.  I keep reading it typically takes a few days to classify and report out all the covideaths.  But what I don’t understand is wouldn’t the death show up at the date & time when the human expires, you know like they write on every death certificate?  This either implies that the deaths are categorized when someone makes the decision, or people literally decide to not die on the weekend (not true). Why not backfill last Saturday with the real data!  

As a reliability engineer (if I was one), I would think the actual date and time of an occurrence would override the “decision” of an engineer when a piece of equipment failed. Let me track all the bearing failures in my fleet for when I review and classify that bearing indeed fail. Lots of bad bearings on Tuesday morning.

1 minute ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

It is funny and really DUMB.  I keep reading it typically takes a few days to classify and report out all the covideaths.  But what I don’t understand is wouldn’t the death show up at the date & time when the human expires, you know like they write on every death certificate?  This either implies that the deaths are categorized when someone makes the decision, or people literally decide to not die on the weekend (not true). Why not backfill last Saturday with the real data!  

As a reliability engineer (if I was one), I would think the actual date and time of an occurrence would override the “decision” of an engineer when a piece of equipment failed. Let me track all the bearing failures in my fleet for when I review and classify that bearing indeed fail. Lots of bad bearings on Tuesday morning.

Exactly! This entire thing is yet another example of the mediocre skill level of the nitwits running our country. And yet nobody says or does anything about it.

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Exactly! This entire thing is yet another example of the mediocre skill level of the nitwits running our country. And yet nobody says or does anything about it.

It is well known in corporate circles that Tuesday is the day to fire, release bad news, etc.  This may have, at first, accidentally fallen into that most excellent of days (sorry, I watched Bill & Teds).  And the media likes it as Tuesday is usually the slowest for news.

1 minute ago, Gary M said:

gubment employees don't work weekends, it's in their union contract. So if you die on a weekend you get counted some time Monday, after coffee.

And then they have to get “approvals” on the TPS headers, so Tuesday ends up always the highest death day.

It is real life “Office Space”.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

It is well known in corporate circles that Tuesday is the day to fire, release bad news, etc.  This may have, at first, accidentally fallen into that most excellent of days (sorry, I watched Bill & Teds).  And the media likes it as Tuesday is usually the slowest for news.

Good to know that while our world is coming to an end as we know it, the planet still spins to the weekly news cycle. ? In reality I’m guessing it’s just that the ‘non-essential’ workers in the local coroners offices haven’t shuffled back in from their weekend to count up the tally. 

On 8/30/2020 at 12:17 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Trump needs to take his goddamn job seriously for the few remaining months he's in office.

Top 6 Covid cases per capita all include states Trump needs for his own reelection purposes, which is the only thing that really motivates him other than money:

Louisiana 

Florida 

Arizona 

Mississippi 

Alabama 

Georgia 

These are all places a Republican nominee should pretty easily win, but Donald Trump keeps shooting himself in the foot out of pure neglect.

Rest easy in the knowledge that The Hero of Humanity will soon be here to save us all.  Your boy Joe will shut it all down,  mask us all up,  and save us all.

For the those with guaranteed jobs and income funded by the taxpayer, good fortune will come in the form of business as usual and absent the pesky concerns about how to pay for trivial things like a mortgage, car payment, electricity, and food. 

For others, those who see businesses and their life work destroyed by the perpetually shifting narrative that COVID kills unless people are outside burning sh:t down, good fortune means that as their financial prospects dwindle, their children go to bed hungry and they become desperate, websites like Craigslist exist for them to dispose of their meager possessions.  in that regard, the entitled probably can score some pretty good stuff at pennies on the dollar. 

The only question Transpy is whether one is a “have” or “have not”. Which one are ya, Transpy?

• Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

The states do exactly what you say, backfilling the data (they 100% do that in PA). But most if not all of the amateur Covid reporting websites like Covid Tracking Project and Worldometer don't have the energy and manpower to place all the deaths classified today on their proper date from days before--there's really no way for any state or medical system to say at midnight, "X people died of Covid today." So just about every site just makes today's total the difference in total deaths from yesterday to today. This averages out OK over time but "today" is never accurate--and when there's a really big backlog data dump, you get a Patriots *.  

Edited by shoshin

20 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Rest easy in the knowledge that The Hero of Humanity will soon be here to save us all.  Your boy Joe will shut it all down,  mask us all up,  and save us all.

For the those with guaranteed jobs and income funded by the taxpayer, good fortune will come in the form of business as usual and absent the pesky concerns about how to pay for trivial things like a mortgage, car payment, electricity, and food. 

For others, those who see businesses and their life work destroyed by the perpetually shifting narrative that COVID kills unless people are outside burning sh:t down, good fortune means that as their financial prospects dwindle, their children go to bed hungry and they become desperate, websites like Craigslist exist for them to dispose of their meager possessions.  in that regard, the entitled probably can score some pretty good stuff at pennies on the dollar. 

The only question Transpy is whether one is a “have” or “have not”. Which one are ya, Transpy?

The problem I have with your logic is that if “we” just acted responsibly at the outset of this mess there’s a very good chance that we would be in a much better position right now.  So, unfortunately, because we engaged in half measures, refused to wear masks, and to a certain point dabbled in magic and bleach and direct-to-lung Lysol ideas as potential silver bullets, we may have to go through another shutdown this fall.  It absolutely sucks.  And I feel terribly for those who will be hurt by it,  But it may fall into the “short term pain, long term gain” category.  Otherwise we’re just going to be overrun.