The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I realize there's more than deaths to consider but the vast difference in them between its two border countries is difficult to ignore.  I suspect their policy will be the best in the long run but if Finland or Norway's overall deaths from Covid are still significantly lower than Sweden's at this time next year I'm not going to call there unique approach a success.

The logical thing to do would be to view all aspects both from public health and economic standpoints.

17 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Now isn’t this interesting. California, with our 5th highest GDP in the world, always needs bailouts. Hmmm, which party has been running CA for a million years?  ?

...wasn't Pete Wilson the last GOP governor?............

14 minutes ago, BillStime said:

image.thumb.jpeg.0bfc7710ea0d48cfcbb4e68a14d40028.jpeg

Italy, France, and Spain got annihilated in March like NYC did so of course you're going to see few deaths when almost all the vulnerable have already died.  Here's the deaths per million.  Trump's argument is also just as dumb.

Confirmed deaths (absolute)

Daily increase (# deaths)¹ Population (in millions) Deaths per million
Belgium 9,840 4 11.42 861.49
United Kingdom² 45,999 38 66.49 691.83
Spain 28,443 2 46.72 608.75
Peru 18,816 0 31.99 588.2
Italy 35,132 3 60.43 581.35
Sweden 5,739 9 10.18 563.58
Chile 9,377 99 18.73 500.66
USA² 151,826 1,339 327.17 464.06
France² 30,137 15 66.99 449.89

7 hours ago, Magox said:

The logical thing to do would be to view all aspects both from public health and economic standpoints.

Logically, if deaths per capita were only slightly higher than Norway and Finland with Sweden only having moderate damage to their economy than they absolutely got it right.  They're not at this point though.  If there's a similar overall death rate in 2020 between those countries because those that went down with Covid in Sweden were going to die anyways then Sweden got it right.  If this virus eventually just burns through all the countries anyways then Sweden got it right.  However, if the overall death rate is significantly higher than Norway and Finland when this virus is finally gone then there's a strong argument that they got it wrong.

There's psychological factors to consider as well as I'm sure Sweden had less suicides, drug overdoses, cases of depression, domestic violence cases, etc..  Meanwhile, their were more grieving families in Sweden.  It's just too soon to jump the gun and say that Sweden was right and most other countries were moronic with their draconian lockdown measures.

• Like (+1) 1

Had a close friend pass away overnight of complications from a stroke (he had previously been permanently disabled by a stroke and this one was too much for his body). He was one of my dads best friends and a great friend of mine. Really wondering if we’ll be allowed to have a funeral for him (in Virginia) or if only the elites (and criminals killed by cops) are allowed those these-a-days.

• Sad 8

Just now, whatdrought said:

Had a close friend pass away overnight of complications from a stroke (he had previously been permanently disabled by a stroke and this one was too much for his body). He was one of my dads best friends and a great friend of mine. Really wondering if we’ll be allowed to have a funeral for him (in Virginia) or if only the elites (and criminals killed by cops) are allowed those these-a-days.

So sorry for your loss. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Sending prayers for you and all his loved ones.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LB3 said:

Sending prayers for you and all his loved ones.

Appreciate it. 

My dad has lost his 3 closest friends (one being a brother in law) to a move and two deaths in the past 3 years and I’m worried about him as he already has some depression issues. 

• Sad 3

10 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Appreciate it. 

My dad has lost his 3 closest friends (one being a brother in law) to a move and two deaths in the past 3 years and I’m worried about him as he already has some depression issues. 

Prayers to you, my friend, I lost my dad over 30 years ago, miss him everyday, let your dad know how much he is needed, wanted and loved.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:
18 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Appreciate it. 

Prayers to you, my friend, I lost my dad over 30 years ago, miss him everyday, let your dad know how much he is needed, wanted and loved.

^^THIS^^ 

To any here that still has one or both your parents, love 'em while you've got them, cause some day you won't anymore. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillStime said:

Thank you Trump voters

Dammit. 

Was really looking forward to going to Pakistan this year.  

Edit:  "Trump voters?"

Did I miss the scientific peer reviewed study that says:

"Virus unique in human history:  Trump voters are responsible for its spread."

6 hours ago, Niagara said:

Arnold S (RINO)

November 17, 2003

January 3, 2011

The public sector unions actually ended his Governorship around 2005.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1