The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I'm sure it's just that everyone in Africa is wearing masks.  

There should be 24/7 video of people dying in the streets if it were bad. 

Its not.  

Africa's population is young.  

The only place it's bad (cases!) is South Africa.  And guess how many of those folks have HIV? 

Over 8 million.

• Like (+1) 1

Hey look it's the largest Country in Europe that "beat" Corona.  Look at all these folks celebrating and showing gratitude to the Government for giving them their lives back.........

Wait what?  What is going on here???

I thought it was beat?  Why are these people mad????  Rise in infections?  But how???

Thousands of protesters ignore social-distancing rules as they join huge march against coronavirus measures in Germany as country faces rise in infections 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8583397/amp/Thousands-protesters-join-march-against-coronavirus-measures-Germany.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline&__twitter_impression=true

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 2

Me:  "Fauci.  I demand an explanation!  These people "crushed" the Corona!  Why is the government continuing to take away their livelihoods?  We deserve an explanation!!"

Fauci:  

Dr. Fauci says coronavirus is so contagious, it won’t likely ever disappear

“I do not believe it would disappear because it’s such a highly transmissible virus,” Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told a House Select Subcommittee hearing on containing the coronavirus outbreak. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/31/dr-fauci-says-coronavirus-is-so-contagious-it-wont-likely-ever-disappear.html?__twitter_impression=true&recirc=taboolainternal&recirc=taboolainternal

Oh.  Dang.  So distancing for life it is then.  

Sounds good!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

california has the 5th highest GDP on the planet. they don't need a bailout lmao. 

the states that are in desperate need of one are the deep red states in the south and middle america. the ones with poor median income levels 

REeeeeEEEEeEeraeEeEeEEeEEeEeEEE!

3 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

california has the 5th highest GDP on the planet. they don't need a bailout lmao. 

the states that are in desperate need of one are the deep red states in the south and middle america. the ones with poor median income levels 

Now isn’t this interesting. California, with our 5th highest GDP in the world, always needs bailouts. Hmmm, which party has been running CA for a million years?  ?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Getting Covid if you're under 55 is not a disaster.  

Less than 10,000 American deaths under 55 that have INVOLVED Covid.  Involved?  That's the CDC chart now.  

Interesting.....there have only been 6,000 flu deaths this calendar year.  Of ALL ages.  

This is a small piece of the puzzle, but at my hospital and the others in it’s network, when testing became available we tested for covid-19 but a negative result didn’t automatically reflex to testing for Flu A/B RSV.

I remember mentioning this to my lab manager, by time the powers that be implemented the policy all negative Covid tests reflex to the regular glue testing the flu season was over.

4 hours ago, Magox said:

Remember how the mainstream media and some of their advocates on this board scoffed at the suggestion that Sweden took the right approach with staying open, no masks etc.

Now most of Europe is beginning to trend higher aside from the hard hit regions and Sweden has now recorded 3 straight days of 0 deaths and essentially empty COVID-19 Hospitalizations.

Remember their argument early in which was they would take a relatively harder hit but over time things would even out among their peers.

And I remember seeing a chart of economic activity and Sweden’s didn’t go down nowhere near as much Norway or the rest of Europe.   There were mainstream reports stating that Sweden still had nearly as much of an economic downfall as their counterparts.  That was flat out false.

As many of us said on this board, Sweden had the right strategy for their country.  

Finland and Norway aren't seeing any spikes in cases though and they have far less deaths per capita.  Is it more useful to compare Sweden to other European countries or their border countries?

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Finland and Norway aren't seeing any spikes in cases though and they have far less deaths per capita.  Is it more useful to compare Sweden to other European countries or their border countries?

I wish I could find the economic activity chart that I saw about a week ago, I should have posted it when I had it.  Essentially the economic chart had the other Scandinavian neighbors along with the major European countries and Sweden’s LOCAL economy far outperformed the rest of nations including their neighbors.

Plus look at the Apple mobility trends, Sweden never experienced the same downturns as the Scandinavian countries and returned to baseline sooner than they did.  Not to mention that Sweden has burnt out, they are at a much less risk of viral reemergence than the rest of countries.  

Where Sweden messed up and they will be the first to admit that they didn’t put enough resources and attention to their seniors in their nursing homes.

Also Keep in mind that the Scandinavians are unique in that they have very strict immigration dictates in place, Norway and Finland don’t have nearly the migration flows that the rest of Europe and that they don’t have many differing heterogeneous zones such as Brazil, India or the US and it’s pretty much one top down autonomous zone that is relatively small.  Much easier for Norway to limit its spread and then implement successful contact tracing programs.  Which of course Sweden could as well.

The difference is that Sweden purposely went for this strategy and they are now at a much better position moving forward in terms of a potential viral outbreak.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Magox said:

I wish I could find the economic activity chart that I saw about a week ago, I should have posted it when I had it.  Essentially the economic chart had the other Scandinavian neighbors along with the major European countries and Sweden’s LOCAL economy far outperformed the rest of nations including their neighbors.

Plus look at the Apple mobility trends, Sweden never experienced the same downturns as the Scandinavian countries and returned to baseline sooner than they did.  Not to mention that Sweden has burnt out, they are at a much less risk of viral reemergence than the rest of countries.  

Where Sweden messed up and they will be the first to admit that they didn’t put enough resources and attention to their seniors in their nursing homes.

Also Keep in mind that the Scandinavians are unique in that they have very strict immigration dictates in place, Norway and Finland don’t have nearly the migration flows that the rest of Europe and that they don’t have many differing heterogeneous zones such as Brazil, India or the US and it’s pretty much one top down autonomous zone that is relatively small.  Much easier for Norway to limit its spread and then implement successful contact tracing programs.  Which of course Sweden could as well.

The difference is that Sweden purposely went for this strategy and they are now at a much better position moving forward in terms of a potential viral outbreak.

The true test will be if Finland and Norway do eventually have a similar death rate per capita then the Swedish model would've been the most prudent.  If you look at the normal death rate in 2018 per 1,000 people Sweden (9.1) falls in between Norway (7.7) and Finland (9.9).  Right now they have five times the death rate of Denmark and ten times the death rate of Norway from Covid.  

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I don’t view it that way. It’s been a success, their chief health official had a good understanding of what he was doing going into this strategy that was viewed with skepticism throughout the world.   

In hindsight I wish we had not had as draconian shutdowns that we had.  

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

I don’t view it that way. It’s been a success, their chief health official had a good understanding of what he was doing going into this strategy that was viewed with skepticism throughout the world.   

In hindsight I wish we had not had as draconian shutdowns that we had.  

If I lost a loved one in Sweden to Covid I'd be looking at my neighboring countries right now and are asking why didn't we have those draconian shut down measures like they did?  There's no easy answer in balancing the economy with the loss of life from a virus, but that's quite the difference in death rates.  If this thing does burn out through all the population like we think it will then it's obvious they made the right decision.  I'm just not there yet.

12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

If I lost a loved one in Sweden to Covid I'd be looking at my neighboring countries right now and are asking why didn't we have those draconian shut down measures like they did?  There's no easy answer in balancing the economy with the loss of life from a virus, but that's quite the difference in death rates.  If this thing does burn out through all the population like we think it will then it's obvious they made the right decision.  I'm just not there yet.

If you lost a loved one to COVID-19 then it’s highly probable they were in their last few months.  That’s the profile, 81 years old with close to 3 comorbidities.   We’ve been discussing this Doc for months.  There are many other effects other than COVID related deaths, you’re viewing this too much in a vacuum.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Here is what the so-called experts were predicting. I would say considering all the dire predictions under tremendous pressure, with less COVID-19 draconian shut down related deaths and effects and with a better quality of life and economic activity.  They did much better than anyone could have imagined.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Magox said:

If you lost a loved one to COVID-19 then it’s highly probable they were in their last few months.  That’s the profile, 81 years old with close to 3 comorbidities.   We’ve been discussing this Doc for months.  There are many other effects other than COVID related deaths, you’re viewing this too much in a vacuum.

I realize there's more than deaths to consider but the vast difference in them between its two border countries is difficult to ignore.  I suspect their policy will be the best in the long run but if Finland or Norway's overall deaths from Covid are still significantly lower than Sweden's at this time next year I'm not going to call there unique approach a success.