The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

14 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

So NYS had 150K confirmed cases in mid April

And by the end of the month 24K had died.

Why haven't other states that hit 100K (both confirmed and not confirmed) in cases seen anywhere close to those deaths?  

Does that make sense?  NYC density should only impact its # of cases.  And yes in turn deaths.

But no other state not named NJ is even close to their numbers....total and per capita.

So either it's a far less lethal virus then it was when it first broke out in January-March or we're better at treating.....or both.

OR....its been the same lethality the whole time and NYS numbers are inflated.  

Hard to say I guess.  There were reports regarding the exposure time to the virus increasing the viral load in the body which could possibly lead to a hard hit on the body's system so who knows maybe that played a factor.  Maybe areas with greater population densities and more of the viral load led to people with a greater viral load in their body and a harder case so to speak.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Really? You don’t find it odd that within less than sixty days NY went from 1,000 deaths a day to less than 30 even without a cure, an approved medication, or a vaccine? Really?

I don't know if I find it odd...or just notable.  I have no dog in this race, I was just curious why the poster I replied to thought maybe things were inflated in NY.  It could also be that a lot of the people who were dying early on got a higher viral load and couldn't make it and once this virus started get out in the media and ***** hit the fan people started staying inside and the population densities decreased.  I have know idea.  Just some thoughts.  Again, I don't have a dog in the race and was just curious why anyone would think numbers would be fudged.

1 minute ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I don't know if I find it odd...or just notable.  I have no dog in this race, I was just curious why the poster I replied to thought maybe things were inflated in NY.  It could also be that a lot of the people who were dying early on got a higher viral load and couldn't make it and once this virus started get out in the media and ***** hit the fan people started staying inside and the population densities decreased.  I have know idea.  Just some thoughts.  Again, I don't have a dog in the race and was just curious why anyone would think numbers would be fudged.

Because it fits the narrative they want to believe. Also, it gets continually pounded into their heads by extreme political "news" and conspiracy sites. The self-delusion is real. Welcome to PPP! ?

6 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Because it fits the narrative they want to believe. Also, it gets continually pounded into their heads by extreme political "news" and conspiracy sites. The self-delusion is real. Welcome to PPP! ?

And you, on the other hand, believe the killer virus magically disappeared in the span of a few weeks? Wait a minute here....aren’t those the sort of fantasies that the Media’s been screaming at the President about all week?

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

And you, on the other hand, believe the killer virus magically disappeared in the span of a few weeks? Wait a minute here....aren’t those the sort of fantasies that the Media’s been screaming at the President about all week?

You're not going to see me spinning much of anything. I want this to be over. I'll speak against conspiracies on principal. I know I'm not immune to this sort of thinking, so I make a point to actively consider what I'm reading. That's mostly why I hang around here - for a different perspective. You won't ever see me linking to articles on redstate, American thinker, alex jones, mother jones, huffpo or otherwise. It's all manipulative BS that weak minds gravitate toward. We can all be better than that. The most hypocritical thing of all is citing and giving credence to these outlets while crying about mainstream media bias. I mean, it almost sounds like an SNL skit. Ffffff

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

BTW, the virus is still here. You must have me confused with someone else.

17 minutes ago, 123719bwiqrb said:

Mr. Frenkle, this just in - we will all be wearing masks in our graves. This mask wearing and virus fearing will never go away.

Welcome! Who the hell are you and why should I care about your hyperbole?

36 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Welcome! Who the hell are you and why should I care about your hyperbole?

I’m just a fellow Bills fan that made a hasty choice on my username.

And you’re naive if you think we won’t be wearing masks until the end of time.  These health experts will be running your life until we all die.

”Personal Immunity doesn’t count”

”considering Herd Immunty is the same as Auschwitz”

”Vaccine is at least 1 year away”

”Vaccine may only work for weeks or months”

And this is just about the new one. Just wait until they really tackle Malaria.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 123719bwiqrb said:

I’m just a fellow Bills fan that made a hasty choice on my username.

And you’re naive if you think we won’t be wearing masks until the end of time.  These health experts will be running your life until we all die.

”Personal Immunity doesn’t count”

”considering Herd Immunty is the same as Auschwitz”

”Vaccine is at least 1 year away”

”Vaccine may only work for weeks or months”

And this is just about the new one. Just wait until they really tackle Malaria.

It's a conspiracy!

Seriously though, Go Bills!!! That goes for all of you other clowns too.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Nice.  So your implication is that their lives don’t matter as much as mine or yours because they’re in the autumn of their years.  

this is why you are a fake Christian. 

I don't understand this.

When most share this information it's to help make data driven decisions.  Based on facts not emotion.  If you are healthy and under 40, you have virtually zero risk of dying.  This is good news.  It is not Captain Trips.

But it's an election year and everything about it is out of control.  We were told slow the spread.  We need ventilators.  We need to test.  We need ppe.  We need to contact trace.  Now we need a vaccine.  The Social Contract doesn't end bc of a virus with a 0.26 CFR.  And this CFR is the only thing that matters now.  Not cases.   

Because we were also told almost everyone will get it.  Just spread out the infections.  We did that.  And we see the collateral damage we're causing is exponentially worse and will get even more devastating if schools do some online virtual nonsense that teachers arent trained for (one county that tried it in late April had to shut it down bc it was hacked).

Yes people are getting sick.  Many hospitalized in a few places.  That's just how it's going to be until better treatments or a cure.  And if your strategy is to wait for those things, sorry, that is not sustainable.  Because there is no timeline on that no matter what the 12-18 months people tell you about vaccines.  The kids especially K-5 need to be in schools.

No society should be required to "socially distance" for an indefinite period of time.  The economic devastation, the stunted development of our kids, the crushing impact on the mental health of the country are much greater threats than Covid.    

Day 115 of 15 days..............  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

It was a combination of a lethal viral load hitting the most densely populated place in the country, compounded by truly horrific early response and management.  

25 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

No society should be required to "socially distance" for an indefinite period of time.  The economic devastation, the stunted development of our kids, the crushing impact on the mental health of the country are much greater threats than Covid.    

Day 115 of 15 days..............  

And will lead to many more deaths and suffering than Covid.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, GG said:

It was a combination of a lethal viral load hitting the most densely populated place in the country, compounded by truly horrific early response and management.  

And will lead to many more deaths and suffering than Covid.

Agree GG more lethal viral load and horrible management by placing sick people into nursing homes. Plus we have better med, info, data to help people out (all of that). 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Agree GG more lethal viral load and horrible management by placing sick people into nursing homes. Plus we have better med, info, data to help people out (all of that). 

A lot of focus is on nursing homes, but hospitals were a mess too and a lot of the safety protocols weren’t followed.  NY repeated a lot of Italy’s mistakes.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

HOSP0707.thumb.jpg.41ec5bce78a3b8f628d45261511a5652.jpg

Florida still not releasing good hospital data but it did release some reports. Follows what is happening in TX and AZ. Where it goes from here is anyone's guess but bed availability is decreasing every day. This is not a situation where everything's just like normal. 

More than four dozen hospitals in Florida reported that their intensive care units (ICUs) have reached full capacity on Tuesday as COVID-19 cases surge in the state and throughout the country.

Hospital ICUs were full at 54 hospitals across 25 of Florida’s 67 counties, according to data published on Tuesday morning by the state’s Agency for Health Care Administration. More than 300 hospitals were included in the report, but not all had adult ICUs.

Thirty hospitals reported that their ICUs were more than 90% full. Statewide, only 17% of the total 6,010 adult ICU beds were available on Tuesday, down from 20% three days ago, according to the agency’s website.

In Miami-Dade - the state’s most populous county - eight hospitals reported their intensive care units were filled to capacity, including North Shore Hospital with 56 ICU beds. The hospital with the most ICU capacity in the county, Jackson Memorial, reported that its ICU was 91% full.

Cuomo is going to delay everything until he can blame the rise in cases on a second wave. If he moved forward as previously scheduled, we'd see here what's happening in Florida. It would show what a complete and utter failure he has been. I have resigned myself to the fact that he is playing politics with people's lives and he'll never be held accountable. The media will just agree that it's the second wave.

Edited by LB3
  • Like (+1) 1