The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

5 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I know GG thinks the US can't be compared to Europe and he thinks things here are more like India, but here's an interesting comparison:

looks like the US is moving to herd immunity with limited stress on the  health care system

winning

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I know GG thinks the US can't be compared to Europe and he thinks things here are more like India, but here's an interesting comparison:

Using Paul Krugman and interesting comparison in the same sentence only works when discussing partisan hackery.   

There is nothing valid about that comparison, other that to reaffirm that Krugman's mind is gone.

• Like (+1) 3

56 minutes ago, GG said:

Using Paul Krugman and interesting comparison in the same sentence only works when discussing partisan hackery.   

There is nothing valid about that comparison, other that to reaffirm that Krugman's mind is gone.

.......PRIME medium for anything this clown writes......the lipstick on his arse is HIS own........

Toilet paper - Wikipedia

1 hour ago, GG said:

The guy who wrote the tweet is irrelevant to the numbers. Look over the tops of your rigid-opinion glasses at the data. 

11 minutes ago, shoshin said:

The guy who wrote the tweet is irrelevant to the numbers. Look over the tops of your rigid-opinion glasses at the data. 

The main point still stands.  It's stupid to compare places that peaked in April to any place that is hitting its peak now.  A beginning stats student would know that, let a lone a stark raving loony Nobel laureate.  

12 minutes ago, shoshin said:

i agree if the numbers are correct, the numbers are correct. But as I mentioned this morning, maybe the numbers are not correct. When i googled Arizona Covid to look at varying sources, this was the number one result

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-phoenix-metro/central-phoenix/banner-says-icu-beds-are-approaching-100-capacity

Look at the date on that sucker...almost a month ago we were told ICUs in Arizona were at 100% capacity...now it would make sense after a month of exploding cases and increasing illnesses that ICU usage would be stressed beyond compare...but i have not heard nor seen that yet.

So yes, sometimes the source needs to be taken into account

2 minutes ago, GG said:

The main point still stands.  It's stupid to compare places that peaked in April to any place that is hitting its peak now.  A beginning stats student would know that, let a lone a stark raving loony Nobel laureate.  

He's comparing populations across time--450M people are having less cases than Arizona and it's 7M due to better management of the disease. Pretty inarguable. 

2 minutes ago, BillStime said:

It’s just going to “disappear”

That's some bizzarre-ass magical thinking. 

12 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

i agree if the numbers are correct, the numbers are correct. But as I mentioned this morning, maybe the numbers are not correct. When i googled Arizona Covid to look at varying sources, this was the number one result

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-phoenix-metro/central-phoenix/banner-says-icu-beds-are-approaching-100-capacity

Look at the date on that sucker...almost a month ago we were told ICUs in Arizona were at 100% capacity...now it would make sense after a month of exploding cases and increasing illnesses that ICU usage would be stressed beyond compare...but i have not heard nor seen that yet.

So yes, sometimes the source needs to be taken into account

From that story: 

Banner Health's chief clinical officer said Friday Banner's Arizona ICUs were nearing 100 percent of licensed capacity, and hospital administrators were preparing to add additional beds to expand ICU capacity by 25 percent. All Arizona hospitals have been mandated by the state government to have surge plans to increase their capacity as much as 50 percent, if necessary.

16 minutes ago, shoshin said:

He's comparing populations across time--450M people are having less cases than Arizona and it's 7M due to better management of the disease. Pretty inarguable. 

Predictably he's excluding Russia.

Now why would a hyperpartisan weasel play with numbers like that?

As per above, did H1N1 disappear?  Did SARS1 disappear?

Edited by GG

8 minutes ago, shoshin said:

That's some bizzarre-ass magical thinking. 

From that story: 

Banner Health's chief clinical officer said Friday Banner's Arizona ICUs were nearing 100 percent of licensed capacity, and hospital administrators were preparing to add additional beds to expand ICU capacity by 25 percent. All Arizona hospitals have been mandated by the state government to have surge plans to increase their capacity as much as 50 percent, if necessary.

and you know as well as i , if the surge ICU was being maxxed, we would hear about it everywhere. 

This is what i did find

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-health/2020/06/29/arizona-coronavirus-update-steady-number-hospitalizations-reported/3278375001/

As of Sunday, 84% of current inpatient beds and 88% of ICU beds were in use for COVID-19 and other patients.

now, what that article does not state is is that after surge capacity was added or not?

The larger point I was trying to make is we are a good month past when the "media" reported being at 100% cpacity for ICU..a month that saw expomential growth in cases..sometimes it does matter who and how the report is framed

8 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Thank you..and just to clarify, wife had CBS on local to see something she wanted on the program before CBS morning news started. In the background i heard them report that 1200 number just after i had read the numbers on here...and why i want to send to one of the national guys for them to bring attention to it if thay are jacking the numbers by that much to spread fear.

What we were discussing 

backdated from weeks ago

• Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

The larger point I was trying to make is we are a good month past when the "media" reported being at 100% cpacity for ICU..a month that saw expomential growth in cases..sometimes it does matter who and how the report is framed

I shared the quote because they added 25% more immediately and maybe as much as 50%. 

In other news, 

24 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Yep.

I didn't find incredible when NYC was making up 80% of the deaths, don't find it incredible now. This virus is not hitting everywhere all at once. If it gets traction somewhere, it will boom. That's the way growth of diseases works. 

2 hours ago, Magox said:

What we were discussing 

backdated from weeks ago

No one except that one report counted those deaths in yesterday's numbers.