The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Pretty sad that the president has to be told to wear a mask to protect the country he is suppose to work for. What an idiot 

Actually...not. If the President is repeatedly being tested than the concern would be that the country would infect him, not that he would infect the country...but thanks for your concern. It shows you care.

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Actually...not. If the President is repeatedly being tested than the concern would be that the country would infect him, not that he would infect the country...but thanks for your concern. It shows you care.

No, setting an example when thousands of lives are at state is important. 

Biden gets it, Trump can’t understand 

4 hours ago, shoshin said:

States with highest death tolls since mid May yesterday:

CA

AZ 

TX 

not huge jumps but also not the continued decline. Watch them now to see how high this rise goes. 

FL and GA started their case spikes a week after those states so their window to watch opens next week if we are watching 2 weeks out...The trailing death window is probably 3-4 weeks from case rise though—2 is just the beginning edge. 

Florida will finally start reporting statewide hospitalizations this week. Why DeSantis kept that data hidden, who knows. PA Gov Wolf also held back data he had for weeks. The wrong approach. 

Deaths at Worldometer much higher than this yesterday. CA data came in late as did others. Total over 700. Maybe not as low as hoped yesterday. 

15 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yesterday, Tuesday, we appear to have seen the leftover latent reporting from the weekend but with only California registering triple digit Covid deaths. NY reported only 17 deaths and approximately thirty states, again were either in single digits or reported zero fatalities. It’s interesting that even with the recent and now somewhat prolonged spike in new cases across the Southwest the death rate (deaths per million of population) in those states is less than 10% of the overall rate experienced in the NY metro area. I’m guessing the medical profession knows way more about how to treat the virus now than they did then. 

okay, someone help me out here. CBS News reported this morning 1200 new deaths from yesterday, and both of yall saying not even close. Would really like to smack them over the head and send clip to Ethical Skeptic and Berenson , but want to make sure i have my numbers straight. Can either of you guys help me out here?

24 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

okay, someone help me out here. CBS News reported this morning 1200 new deaths from yesterday, and both of yall saying not even close. Would really like to smack them over the head and send clip to Ethical Skeptic and Berenson , but want to make sure i have my numbers straight. Can either of you guys help me out here?

The site I’ve been quoting from every day for almost three months now is Worldometer. I had to choose a site early on so that my reporting would be consistent. THAT is the scientific method!  I like it because it’s very easy to read and you can even dig deeper than statewide totals for many of the states, where it’ll go as deep as county by county. I hope you find it interesting and informative. And finally, I suggest you don’t bounce around from site to site. There are WAY too many variables and WAY too many agendas. 

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The site I’ve been quoting from every day for almost three months now is Worldometer. I had to choose a site early on so that my reporting would be consistent. THAT is the scientific method!  I like it because it’s very easy to read and you can even dig deeper than statewide totals for many of the states, where it’ll go as deep as county by county. I hope you find it interesting and informative. And finally, I suggest you don’t bounce around from site to site. There are WAY too many variables and WAY too many agendas. 

and that makes sense..but you and @shoshin seem to have been following the detah numbers more than others, and though maybe you guys, and i should include @Magox might have some insight on how they could be so far off. 

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

and that makes sense..but you and @shoshin seem to have been following the detah numbers more than others, and though maybe you guys, and i should include @Magox might have some insight on how they could be so far off. 

There are various reporting methods and more so than anything else the discrepancies lie in two things. 

The time of the day that the reports that are gathered are concluded.

So if lets say as an example that the cutoff that the report is shared by the states for the report to be posted is 6pm est.  So the deaths that are reported are up to that cut off point.  What Shoshin brought up was that there were more reports that came in after the cut off time of when that death total report came in.   That is actually very common, on most days more deaths show up after the reports that we post let's say from COVID Tracking, Nate Silver among others.  Those reports simply get counted towards the next days tallies.  It all balances out.

The other discrepancies lie in that some states do these death data dumps.  Where they go back retroactively over a period of time and add in their "probable" COVID deaths to the totals.  Those aren't counted in these because you'd have to peg each one to each day.  I'm guessing that is what the CBS report did, not sure.   

As a general rule of thumb, I wouldn't rely on ANY mainstream outlet to get your COVID news.  Not only are their reports highly misleading and without any context, but they are dishonest and have no intention to properly inform anyone.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Magox said:

There are various reporting methods and more so than anything else the discrepancies lie in two things. 

The time of the day that the reports that are gathered are concluded.

So if lets say as an example that the cutoff that the report is shared by the states for the report to be posted is 6pm est.  So the deaths that are reported are up to that cut off point.  What Shoshin brought up was that there were more reports that came in after the cut off time of when that death total report came in.   That is actually very common, on most days more deaths show up after the reports that we post let's say from COVID Tracking, Nate Silver among others.  Those reports simply get counted towards the next days tallies.  It all balances out.

The other discrepancies lie in that some states do these death data dumps.  Where they go back retroactively over a period of time and add in their "probable" COVID deaths to the totals.  Those aren't counted in these because you'd have to peg each one to each day.  I'm guessing that is what the CBS report did, not sure.   

As a general rule of thumb, I wouldn't rely on ANY mainstream outlet to get your COVID news.  Not only are their reports highly misleading and without any context, but they are dishonest and have no intention to properly inform anyone.  

Thank you..and just to clarify, wife had CBS on local to see something she wanted on the program before CBS morning news started. In the background i heard them report that 1200 number just after i had read the numbers on here...and why i want to send to one of the national guys for them to bring attention to it if thay are jacking the numbers by that much to spread fear.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

26 minutes ago, GG said:

Without any hint of irony

Mr Zahawi told Sky News: 'It's much better to work together than to work to undermine each other, so we'll continue in that spirit.' 

He said the UK had 'rightly' stockpiled dexamethasone, another accepted treatment for coronavirus, but suggested cooperation rather than competition was the way forward.

What is 'right' for me is not 'right' for thee...