The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

36 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Ok, so does that mean Magox will stop comparing Sweden to the US? 

Are you purposely being dishonest or is this another example of reading comprehension issues?

Wasn't comparing within the context of you and @GG ' s conversation of efficiency of medical systems using  slopes, infection rates or anything along those lines with Sweden.  It was the overall philosophy in how they dealt with their issues.  The context of India or Brazil being more appropriate is due to geography and the autonomous nature of those countries and how each region is essentially independent of each others.

I visit India twice a year for a period of a few weeks for my work.  Our parent company is in the IT solutions space, has a large office in Bangalore.  When I go I visit, it's the same rotation of Bangalore, Mumbai and Trivandrum as our parent company has offices in each city.  In each of those three cities they speak three different languages, they all speak English to communicate with one another.   The point that I'm making is not only am I very familiar with India, and that I am in daily contact with our offshore team, that India has separate regions that are very distinct from one another.

Very similar to Brazil, I have visited Brazil probably at least 10 times in my life as I used to live in Bolivia which borders Brazil.  If you go to Bahia, the type of people there are vastly different than in Brasilia, which are very different than Rio.   

Both of the countries not only have similar autonomous regional makeups as the US, but geographically they are both similar in size.   

The comparisons have to do with that, not with the medical systems.   Which btw, if you ask any of my colleagues from India, who I have close relationships with, they would argue that India's medical system is much better than what you are inferring it to be.  But that is besides the point, because that wasn't the comparison that was being made.

Edited by Magox

1 hour ago, Magox said:

I'm adamant in believing that the data should guide policy.

We know whose at risk and who relatively are not.  Those that are in the lower category of risk should either practice common sense social distancing measures and if they decide not to, then make sure that they don't get in close quarter contact with those that are at higher risk.

I think the virus is the most overstated risk that the world has ever allowed to self impose destructive actions that we have ever seen.  

Again, it sucks that the virus got here from China and that since it is a novel virus with no vaccine that it was able to kill as many people as it did.  But the world's response in hindsight will not be viewed as the best possible response that could have been made, not even close.  This was a textbook case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I think the virus was pretty complexed people didn't know what to do of yet. I wish other countries have knowledge back then. as of right now Might of saved tons of people.  The human body is unique.  The meds, blood thinner for clots, preventing strokes among other things with the virus. 

If I get it noticed rash or something i'm going to hospital fast. (with virus) Plus I think people know about vitamins helps out lots. Know some friends drink all the time day and night. Just worry about them getting the virus the liver among other things a problem. Oxidative stress, endothelial dysfunction.    With this virus have to be healthy with it. Like high fructose corn syrup just bad for you all ways. People can make food healthier for people.  Frutose reduce vitamin d.  As well as obesity and blood sugar problems,. Alcohol causes Oxiative stress as well. 

But anyway's the knowledge today people have helps lots. Better attacking this virus.  Help solve people out. 

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Magox said:

Are you purposely being dishonest or is this another example of reading comprehension issues?

I didn't mean to make you upset.

16 minutes ago, Magox said:

The comparisons have to do with that, not with the medical systems.   Which btw, if you ask any of my colleagues from India, who I have close relationships with, they would argue that India's medical system is much better than what you are inferring it to be.  But that is besides the point, because that wasn't the comparison that was being made.

We have been there so you know that the people you and I deal with in India are not among the 800B living on less than $2 per day. The Indian middle class has access to some of the niceties of western civilization and lives a life that we in the US would somewhat recognize. I don't know all of your experiences but if they resemble mine, there is a wealth of human compassion in India, but strangely I found it often absent from higher classes regarding lower. That's not a universal statement but some of the things I heard people say were uncomfortable. 

I have not been to Mumbai. It's a big hole in my India travels. There's a fun book set in Mumbai with a loose relation to a true story called Shantaram. It gave me my best Indian curse word. Been to the others, with Delhi and Bangalore as my most frequented, but always travel on the weekends to other places just to see them. If you can get yourself to Amritsar to see the Golden Temple (and also watch the nearby famous Waggah border ceremony), I highly recommend it. You can do it in a weekend. I found the Golden Temple to be a pretty moving place and the langar there to be equally so. I also took a good (and really strange) weekend trip to Katmandu. As my Indian friends said to me, "Why did you go there? That's like India was 40 years ago." Some amazing Buddhist temples there but even I, who eat almost everything when I travel, was a little more cautious in Katmandu, and stuck with cooked veg options (not because I thought they'd serve me cat...just didn't trust the cleanliness) and drank mostly beer (which is not usually something I prefer).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

Ok, so does that mean Magox will stop comparing Sweden to the US? 

I can't compare a European country to the US but you think India is a good comparison. Okey dokey then. 

I didn't say you can't, what I'm saying is that within the context of the conversation of what you and GG are discussing that Brazil and India are more appropriate comparisons.

• Like (+1) 1

....right off the presses from Bezo's ALWAYS honest toy......hell I'd bet scientists and CDC have determined it is NOT a "protest or riot" strain......

Live updates: Nine states hit record highs for covid-19 cases as Pence calls fear of second wave ‘overblown’

Hannah Knowles, Miriam Berger, Hamza Shaban, Candace Buckner, Marisa Iati, Meryl Kornfield
1 day ago

A host of states in the western and southern United States have seen coronavirus cases climb in recent days, raising fears of a new wave, as infections dwindle in other states that were initially hit harder.

That trend continued in some states Wednesday. Oklahoma registered another record for single-day new cases, California set another record in its rolling average, while North Carolina’s average dropped by one case, breaking a streak of 15 new highs in a row.

On Tuesday, nine states — Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina and Texas — had reported either new single-day highs or set a record for seven-day new case averages, according to a Washington Post analysis. At least 115,000 people in the United States have died of the coronavirus, and more than 2,139,000 cases have been reported.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/live-updates-nine-states-hit-record-highs-for-covid-19-cases-as-pence-calls-fear-of-second-wave-overblown/ar-BB15AD6Y?li=BBnb7Kz

One good recommendation I can give everyone in this thread is to ignore articles about scary percentage increases in regards to cases. It's misleading. You'll most likely only see a slight jump when looking at the granular data.

44 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I didn't mean to make you upset.

We have been there so you know that the people you and I deal with in India are not among the 800B living on less than $2 per day. The Indian middle class has access to some of the niceties of western civilization and lives a life that we in the US would somewhat recognize. I don't know all of your experiences but if they resemble mine, there is a wealth of human compassion in India, but strangely I found it often absent from higher classes regarding lower. That's not a universal statement but some of the things I heard people say were uncomfortable. 

I have not been to Mumbai. It's a big hole in my India travels. There's a fun book set in Mumbai with a loose relation to a true story called Shantaram. It gave me my best Indian curse word. Been to the others, with Delhi and Bangalore as my most frequented, but always travel on the weekends to other places just to see them. If you can get yourself to Amritsar to see the Golden Temple (and also watch the nearby famous Waggah border ceremony), I highly recommend it. You can do it in a weekend. I found the Golden Temple to be a pretty moving place and the langar there to be equally so. I also took a good (and really strange) weekend trip to Katmandu. As my Indian friends said to me, "Why did you go there? That's like India was 40 years ago." Some amazing Buddhist temples there but even I, who eat almost everything when I travel, was a little more cautious in Katmandu, and stuck with cooked veg options (not because I thought they'd serve me cat...just didn't trust the cleanliness) and drank mostly beer (which is not usually something I prefer).

The people that I'm in closest contact don't fit that $2 a day demographic, our lower skilled employees earn around $300 a month.   With that said, the medical system in India provides medical care that is extremely cheap.  I'm constantly reminded from my good friend and COO of the company that in the US medical procedures that cost $20,000 can be done for about $300 in India and he claims that it's just as good of treatment.  

Every time we go, which my brother has come along the last couple times as he is employed in the same organization, our friends and coworkers from the offshore team take us out to various temples on our last free day.  Temples well older than a thousand years, it's pretty cool thing to see.   

In regards to the food, surprisingly there is a lot of Persian food that is served.  Everything super spicey, everyone eats with their hands.  We are told to not eat that much of it as it could affect your stomach, but we lived in South America for a number of years and are used to eating from vendors from the street, so it doesn't really bother us that much.  

Traffic is terrible everywhere, especially in Bangalore which is the IT capital of the world, the city has rapidly expanded over the past couple decades and was only built for a couple million people which now has exploded to around 10 million now.  So congestion is awful, luckily they always put us up in a hotel that is within minutes from the office.  Trivandrum is nice, very tropical and up against the beach.  Lots of palm trees, sort of reminds me of Florida in regards to the weather and humidity.  Much cleaner than Mumbai or Bangalore, which truth be told are not the most aesthetically pleasing cities.   

I don't think we will make it out there this year due to everything that is going on, which is too bad because A) I love seeing new places and cultures and B) I get out of the house.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Magox said:

I didn't say you can't, what I'm saying is that within the context of the conversation of what you and GG are discussing that Brazil and India are more appropriate comparisons.

Let's compare smaller largely homogeneous, top down state controlled countries with the US.  Great correlation!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GG said:

Let's compare smaller largely homogeneous, top down state controlled countries with the US.  Great correlation!

Right.  That's the point, the comparisons are not similar.  It's much more difficult to have similar outcomes in one region than the other due to the autonomous nature and geographical size as opposed to what you just described which is homogeneous and smaller in size.  

It truly is an apples and oranges comparison.  

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

Right.  That's the point, the comparisons are not similar.  It's much more difficult to have similar outcomes in one region than the other due to the autonomous nature and geographical size as opposed to what you just described which is homogeneous and smaller in size.  

It truly is an apples and oranges comparison.  

...like it....code for MSM "selective (COUGH)" reporting solely based on political capital.......we'll NEVER get to an accurate database period.....BUT...cases took the "protest/riot period" off but have now resumed increases with zero mention of those ramifications......that was known as the exempt "pause strain" I presume......masks and social distancing were waived with cause........

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I didn't offer support of anything. I pointed out your urgent need to defend the CCP, CCP Bill. But all you can do is lie because you just keep getting your ass handed to you by me. Every time. The bolded is especially hilarious since you're defending the CCP who is not quite the beacon of human rights the literature you read and parrot tells you it is.

Keep proving -- over and over again -- that you're a deeply stupid person. It's your brand. You earned it.

And you keep hiding in the basement. Suggesting I support CCP is ridiculous and you have played that card too many times. But from the basement that is what you can see.

You fail to see your over the top politics ignores 117,290 of your fellow citizens have died, some, maybe many as a result of the politics you support. 

If you feel necessary to call me deeply stupid...from the basement, feel free. Your view from that tiny window is not clear.

Your humanity has been lost in politics. You are safe in the basement but you are irrelevant without some humanity. 

2 hours ago, westside2 said:

How many of those did cuomo kill in the nursing homes?

He killed none. The virus did. He was not perfect in his response for sure. I see few politicals that were. But they tried, more than I can say for many politicals. Pence is the biggest bible thumping piece of of st??  Imaginable. 

117290 of you citizens and you still listen to guys like Agent Rhino....politics before humanity.

6 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

And you keep hiding in the basement. Suggesting I support CCP is ridiculous and you have played that card too many times. But from the basement that is what you can see.

You fail to see your over the top politics ignores 117,290 of your fellow citizens have died, some, maybe many as a result of the politics you support. 

If you feel necessary to call me deeply stupid...from the basement, feel free. Your view from that tiny window is not clear.

Your humanity has been lost in politics. You are safe in the basement but you are irrelevant without some humanity. 

He killed none. The virus did. He was not perfect in his response for sure. I see few politicals that were. But they tried, more than I can say for many politicals. Pence is the biggest bible thumping piece of of st??  Imaginable. 

117290 of you citizens and you still listen to guys like Agent Rhino....politics before humanity.

...ahhh Bill........why not break down that number despite it being tragic?......how many thousands died because of positive patients being remanded to nursing homes?...Big Fredo's tally was 4,320+......OR....how many died with significant pre-existing conditions?....those with zero personal hygiene or minimal health regimen by personal choice?....lifestyle increased their vulnerability?.....naw, no way....or better yet refused to heed any advice relative to precautions?......and you expect legitimacy with your nonsensical drivel.....a woefully fraudulent assessment...congrats...........

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

It was his policy to put the sock elderly in the same nursing homes as healthy elderly. This accounted for almost half the deaths in NYC. Yet you just dismiss with your whataboutism. What does that have to do with Rhino? He was way ahead of the lame stream media on this. Does his truth scare you that much?  What have you reported that has come true? Nothing! I'm glad DR doesn't let big mouth bullies like you stop him from telling the truth. He's a patriot, you're just a big mouth Canadian sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. 

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Magox said:

Every time we go, which my brother has come along the last couple times as he is employed in the same organization, our friends and coworkers from the offshore team take us out to various temples on our last free day.  Temples well older than a thousand years, it's pretty cool thing to see.   

In regards to the food, surprisingly there is a lot of Persian food that is served.  Everything super spicey, everyone eats with their hands.  We are told to not eat that much of it as it could affect your stomach, but we lived in South America for a number of years and are used to eating from vendors from the street, so it doesn't really bother us that much.  

Traffic is terrible everywhere, especially in Bangalore which is the IT capital of the world, the city has rapidly expanded over the past couple decades and was only built for a couple million people which now has exploded to around 10 million now.  So congestion is awful, luckily they always put us up in a hotel that is within minutes from the office.  Trivandrum is nice, very tropical and up against the beach.  Lots of palm trees, sort of reminds me of Florida in regards to the weather and humidity.  Much cleaner than Mumbai or Bangalore, which truth be told are not the most aesthetically pleasing cities.   

I don't think we will make it out there this year due to everything that is going on, which is too bad because A) I love seeing new places and cultures and B) I get out of the house.

I love Indian food and Ate freely in most of India but Kathmandu had a different vibe. I of course had many meals without silverware. Trivandrum, the Indian spelling for which is many more syllables, is nice. I went there on a trip where my whole family joined me. We spent a very memorable Christmas in a nice hotel on the Indian Ocean in nearby Kovalam. My daughter was 12 at the time—great fun and memories, particularly the Santa Claise that wore a rubber mask and looked a little like a Richard Nixon bank robber. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

You're an emotional soul.  That's touching.

The virus is responsible for many, many deaths.  We know that the folks in charge have estimated that political gerrymandeering of the numbers has them 25% high.  I'd think the reality is likely higher, maybe  30-35% high.  Still a very large number, still very sad....and still so confusing to me as to why you're not outraged by protestors exposing themselves and fellow citizens who continue to follow social distancing guidelines to this horrible virus that came from China.  

Given your perspective---Would you support the White House mobilizing the troops to squelch the protests to drive down the numbers?  The governors clearly have no stomach for that sort of thing.  Assume the president was someone you respected.  Maybe as an alternative, force the protestors to disband but suggest as an alternative a virtual protest?  

I am outraged by protesters being so stupid. The protests are are different issue than the virus. Troup's vs your own citizens is wrong...looks like something the CCP may do.

The social ills of the world, not just US is an issue that needs patience and a true understanding. Extreme positions are harmful.  Leadership is not about power, today the politics of both parties is about power. 

There are citizens of the USA and the world who are hurting. Are they part of your society and future or not. Do you wish to save your marriage? I hope so.

11 minutes ago, westside2 said:

It was his policy to put the sock elderly in the same nursing homes as healthy elderly. This accounted for almost half the deaths in NYC. Yet you just dismiss with your whataboutism. What does that have to do with Rhino? He was way ahead of the lame stream media on this. Does his truth scare you that much?  What have you reported that has come true? Nothing! I'm glad DR doesn't let big mouth bullies like you stop him from telling the truth. He's a patriot, you're just a big mouth Canadian sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. 

As for being Canadian, I am proud of that and also proud to have many US friends, I worked for a US based company for 37 years and get concerned for my second favorite country.

I do not dismiss Cuomo from some responsibility, we all play a role and his was both good and bad. 

As for Rhino...He is a basement dweller. Politics is so important that he has lost real perspective. I still think he is a paid agent, anyone who posts that much is paid. 117290 deaths and he feels nothing but to defend his position. He is as much of the problem as those who are extreme left.

Time for people to put friends, family, citizens, first. Stop looking for aliens under ever word.

Ps 

Rhino has no sense of humor, a definite sign of too much basement time

11 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

I am outraged by protesters being so stupid. The protests are are different issue than the virus. Troup's vs your own citizens is wrong...looks like something the CCP may do.

The social ills of the world, not just US is an issue that needs patience and a true understanding. Extreme positions are harmful.  Leadership is not about power, today the politics of both parties is about power. 

There are citizens of the USA and the world who are hurting. Are they part of your society and future or not. Do you wish to save your marriage? I hope so.

Good for you standing against the protestors.  I stand with them, and think they should not be forced to stand down.  

So, no to troop involvement from NB.  I'm assuming you're also a no to the police arresting protestors?  Let them protest, but your outrage is noted. 

If I opened my business in violation of the orders of the state, any state, would you feel the same way?  No troops to shut me down, no police to come and fine me or haul me off to the pokey?  

In other words, outrage aside, good old Niagara B wants a level playing field? 

20 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...ahhh Bill........why not break down that number despite it being tragic?......how many thousands died because of positive patients being remanded to nursing homes?...Big Fredo's tally was 4,320+......OR....how many died with significant pre-existing conditions?....those with zero personal hygiene or minimal health regimen by personal choice?....lifestyle increased their vulnerability?.....naw, no way....or better yet refused to heed any advice relative to precautions?......and you expect legitimacy with your nonsensical drivel.....a woefully fraudulent assessment...congrats...........

None of those citizens deserved to die. You are one judge and jury guy. 

Who made you St. Peter. 

You make Rhino seem human. 117290 of your citizens have died so far...more than a world war...show some compassion not politics.

2 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

None of those citizens deserved to die. You are one judge and jury guy. 

Who made you St. Peter. 

You make Rhino seem human. 117290 of your citizens have died so far...more than a world war...show some compassion not politics.

...sad part about it is that with Canadian socialized medicine, you'll have to wait for much needed treatment.....and where the 'eff did I say or imply I was NOT sympathetic with the loss of people?.....hide your ignorance rather than display it.....I buried 5 in 16 months long before Covid-19 (2015-2017)......try that.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy