The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

We’ve been told to listen to these morons through the entire thing. It means only one thing to me: regardless of your reason, go back to things the way they were. They were fear mongering the entire time. 

• Like (+1) 3

The HCQ study 2 weeks ago was a fraud.  Bad data and methodology.  

The Lancet and New England Journal of medicine are now expressing serious concern.  The people behind the study most have minimal to no scientific background and one was a sci fi writer.  The co-author has 3 malpractice suits against him in the U.S.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

The HCQ study 2 weeks ago was a fraud.  Bad data and methodology.  

The Lancet and New England Journal of medicine are now expressing serious concern.  The people behind the study most have minimal to no scientific background and one was a sci fi writer.  The co-author has 3 malpractice suits against him in the U.S.

Time for people to wake up and understand what the past three months have truly been about. 

It was never about saving lives. It was about spreading fear and using that to control us. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Ahhh, time to fire  the fear mongering machine back up at CNN. Much of the initial surge has been lost to the protests , as they cheered on the lawlessness. Must’ve seen the economic news wasn’t as bad as they hoped. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Ahhh, time to fire  the fear mongering machine back up at CNN. Much of the initial surge has been lost to the protests , as they cheered on the lawlessness. Must’ve seen the economic news wasn’t as bad as they hoped. 

who is cheering? 

3 hours ago, GG said:

We can wait until retroactive data is finalized, but the trickle of more recent statistics point that the lock down had a minimal effect on NYC.  If policy experts were going to be honest, the lock down should have happened in early February.  This is supported by data that's coming in showing that the majority of the early NYC cases were already in full swing in February, and the mid March lock down was too little too late.    

The viral spread also supports the theory that after the initial spike and mortality of the super deadly strain that hit NYC, the virus weakened significantly and the spread slowed down.  This explains why the virus didn't grow past the immediate NYC commuter counties.  It's also evident in the maligned Hasid communities, which saw case incidents materially drop after the initial spike.  Note that there are no follow up news stories about the sects after mid-March when it became obvious they reached herd immunity within a month!   The real data that's been available in the last month conclusively shows that the lock downs need to end immediately.  

The Sweden is bunk because Bloomberg doesn't provide the right context.  While Sweden is near the top of the death rates, it's on par with France, and is much lower than the other Euro countries that got hit badly, and used the lockdowns to stop the spread.  Few were arguing that Sweden's approach was going to slow the spread or have a lower death rate by taking a more hands off approach.  The argument was that their end result would likely be the same as the other countries, but without sacrificing their economy.   Looks like it's coming to fruition.

Of course few people are talking about Belgium's numbers either, which are off the charts BAD, despite lockdowns & quarantines.  BTW, Denmark opened up schools in April and it had virtually no effect on the spread.  Instead everyone jumps on Brazil, which is an outlier in prevention & mitigation, but makes for a great scare story.  The pattern is clear, glom onto a scary temporary statistic, and when the story changes move onto something else.  Remember the pending disasters in Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Africa and Mexico?  What happened?  Still waiting for the Georgia & Colorado apocalypse.

Of course the earlier you lock down the better, which is why the uk has the worst outcome after Belgium. Are you really trying to say that the lockdown didn’t have an impact, that it was too late? How do you think the spread happens? A quarantine is the only option when the spread is passed the point of what some of the Asian nations were able to do. 

sweden is bunk but the architect of their plan now thinks they should’ve done things differently? Ok...

In the early stages of a pandemic with much uncertainty about the virus you are better off being conservative than trying something risky when you’re dealing with people’s lives. 

See ya around...

The depravity of all.

I'm beginning to think ......Dare I say it

A conspiracy of some sort.

The power of TDS is real folks.  It is real.  

With that said - this isn't good news for HCQ

Edited by Magox
  • Thank you (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

:lol:

I really love the English language, and  try to pay close attention to what is said and who says it.

Mark Levine is THE Chair of the NYC Health Committe in the epicenter of the Covid crisis in this country.  He's participated in the dialogue, has access to people and information most of us do not, and its fair to consider him an expert. 

Wtf is this "If" there is a spike?

There are tens of thousands of people from all walks of life interacting for hours upon hours on end.  Based on the data that was provided to us about the ways the virus spread, the impact of social distancing, the infection and mortality rate and the like ....there should be a massive spike in cases, hospitalization and deaths from these protests.  

Or, was what it all a lie the first time? 

$#!! Off Mark. 

• Like (+1) 7

19 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I really love the English language, and  try to pay close attention to what is said and who says it.

Mark Levine is THE Chair of the NYC Health Committe in the epicenter of the Covid crisis in this country.  He's participated in the dialogue, has access to people and information most of us do not, and its fair to consider him an expert. 

Wtf is this "If" there is a spike?

There are tens of thousands of people from all walks of life interacting for hours upon hours on end.  Based on the data that was provided to us about the ways the virus spread, the impact of social distancing, the infection and mortality rate and the like ....there should be a massive spike in cases, hospitalization and deaths from these protests.  

Or, was what it all a lie the first time? 

$#!! Off Mark. 

How do you know the rioters weren’t all standing in the ‘wet sand’ during the looting? Hmmmmm? ?

• Like (+1) 2

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE “PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY?”:

Remember when we had to listen to the allegedly unanimous opinion of public health experts that nothing, literally NOTHING, was more important that social distancing to prevent the spread of Coronavirus?

I agree that it’s important (regardless of whether the particular incident of excessive use of force by police in question was a product of racism or just routine police brutality). I also think that putting 30% of the public out of work is important, indeed more important, especially given that racism is a persistent issue that will create plenty of protest opportunities, whereas destroying millions of people’s livelihoods was immediate.

Some of my social media friends have been insisting for some time that many of the hardcore lockdown/social distancing advocates were less concerned about public health and more about imposing their own value system against what they considered an unenlightened public, and some subset of those people actually welcomed the lockdown because they prefer people to live on the government dole that to allow “capitalist exploitation.” I’m not, to say the least, a big fan of the political and public health establishment, but I nevertheless thought this was too cynical.

Yet today we see Mayor DeBlasio arguing that protesting racism is more important than being banned from attending religious services indefinitely, and Governor Murphy of New Jersey stating that protests against racism may flout social distancing rules, but he’s going to continue to enforce them against lockdown opponents.

Worse yet, Slate reports that:

Facing a slew of media requests asking about how protests might be a risk for COVID-19 transmission, a group of infectious disease experts at the University of Washington, with input from other colleagues, drafted a collective response. In an open letter published Sunday, they write that “protests against systemic racism, which fosters the disproportionate burden of COVID-19 on Black communities and also perpetuates police violence, must be supported.”… By Tuesday afternoon, more than 1,000 epidemiologists, doctors, social workers, medical students, and other health experts had signed the letter.

I don’t think anyone who knows me would describe me as at all credulous, but I think I need to get even more cynical.

UPDATE: Just a few days ago, Yale epidemiologist Gregg Gonsalves, was literally accusing President Trump of “genocide” for not taking stronger measure to contain Covid-19. Today, he signed the “protests against racism are more important than stopping the spread of Covid-19” letter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, TPS said:

Of course the earlier you lock down the better, which is why the uk has the worst outcome after Belgium. Are you really trying to say that the lockdown didn’t have an impact, that it was too late? How do you think the spread happens? A quarantine is the only option when the spread is passed the point of what some of the Asian nations were able to do. 

sweden is bunk but the architect of their plan now thinks they should’ve done things differently? Ok...

In the early stages of a pandemic with much uncertainty about the virus you are better off being conservative than trying something risky when you’re dealing with people’s lives. 

See ya around...

I'm saying that the March lock down didn't save nearly as many lives as the "experts" give it credit for because the majority of the real damage was done in February.  The City didn't fully shut down anyway.  The subways didn't shut down and the cases peaked around Easter.  The telling tale was the shocking revelation that 2/3 of positive cases into May were coming from people who were supposedly home quarantined.  That is bad news for the doomsday crowd, because either the virus had a longer shelf life (unlikely based on data) or there was still a hell of a lot of interpersonal contact for the virus to spread. 

All the data coming from NY area (corroborated with personal anecdotal evidence) is that this thing cycled through rapidly and lethally, and then ran its course.

My point is not that we shouldn't have shut things down, because based on data (very little) and absolutely zero understanding of his this thing evolves, shutting down was prudent.  My beef is that it is borderline criminal to shut down the economy based on very sketchy data and dubious models (now proven they were dubious), but drag your feet to reopen, when there's so much more known.

Yes, the Sweden story is bunk, because nothing changed in their scenario other than still having a higher death count than their neighbors, but much lower than other developed countries.   The theory remains that until you get to a cure, vaccine or herd immunity, the people who are susceptible to this virus, will die.  Sweden front loaded the cases (to be inelegant) and the numbers don't look good now.   Check back in a year when it fully cycles through the other Nordics

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

BAD= Standing on the steps of the Michigan State Capital peacefully protesting the right to work and worship.

GOOD= Standing on the steps of the Michigan State Capital aggressively yelling expletives in the face of law enforcement.

You simply cannot make this stuff up!

• Like (+1) 9