The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

California's COVID Nursing Home Death Rate 'Cover Up' Is Imploding

BY VICTORIA TAFT MAY 27, 2020 5:42 PM EST
2096e81e-e90b-4204-8c9c-61ffd5404858-730x487.jpgA care worker takes care to residents of the Maharin nursing home of Anglet, southwestern France, Tuesday, Jan.30, 2018. French care workers are protesting at nursing homes around the country in anger over staff shortages and cost cuts. Unions say workers are under increasing pressure to cut corners on feeding, cleaning and hygiene care for elderly residents. (AP Photo/Bob Edme)

The COVID nursing home death rate in California may be even worse than we feared due to “collu[sion]” to cover-up the numbers.

The first wave of COVID-19 in the United States may well go down as a pandemic in nursing homes. The New York Times reports that fully 1/3 of the deaths from COVID-19 took place in the nation’s nursing homes. In California, it’s worse. It’s believed 41% of all COVID-19 deaths are tied to nursing homes.

We’re just now getting a clearer idea of how bad the coronavirus has riven those homes in California. Untold thousands of people have died in nursing homes from the coronavirus imported from Wuhan, China, but because of California’s privacy laws and reporting protocols and more pointed questions to county and state officials, we are only now beginning to get an idea.

The San Jose Mercury News calls the lack of accurate numbers a “shameful” “cover-up.”

Californians should know which care facilities have novel coronavirus cases, how many and how many deaths, and whether the victims are staff or residents. This is fundamental information that should be disclosed under the California Public Records Act.

Instead, the counties and the state are colluding in a cover-up. The counties refuse to turn over the information and direct inquiries to the state. The state, in turn, puts out the minimal, inaccurate lists. It’s shameful.

Nursing Home Deaths Are ‘Tip of Spear’

Indeed, Governor Gavin Newsom is feeling the heat. On Tuesday’s coronavirus update (which have become less regular), the governor admitted that 33% of the COVID deaths are from nursing homes and 50% of all COVID deaths are from LA County.

This is tip of spear. I’ve made the point to make a point about our seniors 65 and over. 79.2% again those deaths are reflected in that age cohort and the vulnerability particularly in these congregant facilities and assisted living facilities, skilled nursing facilities is self evident. Particularly in Los Angeles. Out of Los Angeles in particular we are seeing roughly – and the numbers have changed in the past few days – roughly 55-56% of the deaths in the state come out of that county and roughly 2/3 of those deaths coming out of this sector in the skilled nursing, assisted living sector…

But while Governor Newsom has been given credit for shutting down the virus early, it’s Newsom’s own diktats about nursing homes that may have contributed to the death toll.

The Mercury News reports that Newsom forced nursing homes to take COVID patients, reminiscent of New York Governor Andrew Cuomo’s blunder.

Newsom Sends Sick to Nursing Homes

It has become crystal clear by now that nursing homes are COVID hotspots, yet the governor’s own shelter requirement keeps pushing the elderly into what some consider to be death traps. The Mercury News reports that by using the state’s own incomplete numbers ,41% of all COVID deaths have occurred in nursing homes. Some were staff and some were patients.

Official diktats have made the problem worse.

• Thank you (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

California's COVID Nursing Home Death Rate 'Cover Up' Is Imploding

BY VICTORIA TAFT MAY 27, 2020 5:42 PM EST
2096e81e-e90b-4204-8c9c-61ffd5404858-730x487.jpgA care worker takes care to residents of the Maharin nursing home of Anglet, southwestern France, Tuesday, Jan.30, 2018. French care workers are protesting at nursing homes around the country in anger over staff shortages and cost cuts. Unions say workers are under increasing pressure to cut corners on feeding, cleaning and hygiene care for elderly residents. (AP Photo/Bob Edme)

The COVID nursing home death rate in California may be even worse than we feared due to “collu[sion]” to cover-up the numbers.

The first wave of COVID-19 in the United States may well go down as a pandemic in nursing homes. The New York Times reports that fully 1/3 of the deaths from COVID-19 took place in the nation’s nursing homes. In California, it’s worse. It’s believed 41% of all COVID-19 deaths are tied to nursing homes.

We’re just now getting a clearer idea of how bad the coronavirus has riven those homes in California. Untold thousands of people have died in nursing homes from the coronavirus imported from Wuhan, China, but because of California’s privacy laws and reporting protocols and more pointed questions to county and state officials, we are only now beginning to get an idea.

The San Jose Mercury News calls the lack of accurate numbers a “shameful” “cover-up.”

Californians should know which care facilities have novel coronavirus cases, how many and how many deaths, and whether the victims are staff or residents. This is fundamental information that should be disclosed under the California Public Records Act.

Instead, the counties and the state are colluding in a cover-up. The counties refuse to turn over the information and direct inquiries to the state. The state, in turn, puts out the minimal, inaccurate lists. It’s shameful.

Nursing Home Deaths Are ‘Tip of Spear’

Indeed, Governor Gavin Newsom is feeling the heat. On Tuesday’s coronavirus update (which have become less regular), the governor admitted that 33% of the COVID deaths are from nursing homes and 50% of all COVID deaths are from LA County.

This is tip of spear. I’ve made the point to make a point about our seniors 65 and over. 79.2% again those deaths are reflected in that age cohort and the vulnerability particularly in these congregant facilities and assisted living facilities, skilled nursing facilities is self evident. Particularly in Los Angeles. Out of Los Angeles in particular we are seeing roughly – and the numbers have changed in the past few days – roughly 55-56% of the deaths in the state come out of that county and roughly 2/3 of those deaths coming out of this sector in the skilled nursing, assisted living sector…

But while Governor Newsom has been given credit for shutting down the virus early, it’s Newsom’s own diktats about nursing homes that may have contributed to the death toll.

The Mercury News reports that Newsom forced nursing homes to take COVID patients, reminiscent of New York Governor Andrew Cuomo’s blunder.

Newsom Sends Sick to Nursing Homes

It has become crystal clear by now that nursing homes are COVID hotspots, yet the governor’s own shelter requirement keeps pushing the elderly into what some consider to be death traps. The Mercury News reports that by using the state’s own incomplete numbers ,41% of all COVID deaths have occurred in nursing homes. Some were staff and some were patients.

Official diktats have made the problem worse.

He and Coumo (governors of death) should have to answer for this atrocity 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I wonder if there's an extra lag because of the holiday weekend as far as the death count goes (Wednesday is the new Tuesday this week).  The seven day rolling average is below 1,000 though so hopefully tomorrow we'll see it back below 1,000 deaths reported by tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I wonder if there's an extra lag because of the holiday weekend as far as the death count goes (Wednesday is the new Tuesday this week).  The seven day rolling average is below 1,000 though so hopefully tomorrow we'll see it back below 1,000 deaths reported by tomorrow.

Yesterday would have been the first day of more normalized reporting, I would expect today and tomorrow’s report to follow through with that post holiday.  Also expect to see some higher confirmed infections coming down the pike as testing dumps will be piled on.

But make no mistake, the trend is looking good.  The question is when and where does it bottom out?   There are supposed converging forces at play with more re openings on one hand which theoretically puts more people at risk (there are counter arguments to this) and the fact that hotter, more humid sunny days which are hostile components for viral transmission.  Plus there MAY be a cyclical component as well and elements of herd immunity of communities within cities at play.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, westside2 said:

Let's keep everything closed till November. That should do it.

That's an insightful reply to his post and the numbers Silver posts. Thank you for the insight

2 hours ago, shoshin said:

huh? The numbers are going down. Just what we’d want. 

2 things

1) For folks on both of the extremes, numbers mean nothing, only ideological group think and attacking those not in your "group"

2) Next month will be so interesting. All of the images from Memorial Day, seemed to be almost an unofficial "open day" for most of the country. Think the next 3 weeks will dicatet so much of what summer looks like.

23 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The video of the (*^*&%^$^#in the mask above doing the story about the recklessness of the crowd around him while his crew is maskless sort of illustrates the point.  

Much of what qualifies as reporting is simply an illusion, a story, a myth.  When the curtain is pulled back, reality is often revealed. There can be multiple reasons for the illusion, from good old fashioned salesmanship, to well-intentioned but bias-influenced decision making to something much more sinister and manipulative.  

What strikes me is that in most other instances involving corporate America, people rightly identify the bull#### and call it out.  When Wells Fargo manipulated customer accounts, outrage followed.  When WaPo —-a commercial enterprise with its success/failure determined by forces other than some nebulous pursuit of “truth”—- reports for 4 years and misses on virtually every aspect of the Russia story, many people just shrug their shoulders.  I’ve asked before, but given the outcome of the probe, was WaPo and it’s vaunted staff of reporters and editors with a horde of anonymous sources simply incompetent, or was it deliberate?   Either way, it’s a very bad look. 

But, the entrenched narrative that a “FREE PRESS” is actually free continues to carry the day.  

It's good to see that people are finally starting to understand the position I've held for about ten years now.

27 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It's good to see that people are finally starting to understand the position I've held for about ten years now.

I can’t say how long I’ve believed what I’ve believed..probably since a few years after watching JFK. I recall being really drawn into the story, reading about it afterwards and finding the story compelling.  A couple documentaries later, a couple news stories that fell flat and I’ve questioned just about everything from there.  

At one point, a large company I worked with had an expose done on them by a major network, including grainy undercover footage of a truck pulling up in front of an office and removing documents to be shredded.   The insinuation was something nefarious was afoot.

Turns out the shredding company showed up at noon, on a bright sunny day, and removed documents as part of a regularly scheduled procedure, accessed via the front door on a busy street with documents readily available.  Btw, this was before ID theft was a major deal, before shredding went mainstream. 

Finally, I did some media training with a private company around the same time. They spoke at length about guerilla journalism, soundbite management and the business side of the media.  I did two media interviews on a local level thereafter, and all went very well.  Honest questions, my answers reasonably cut and delivered in context.  I think that’s pretty rare with national stories, especially those that are divisive and controversial.  The goal seems to be less to tell a truthful story, more with a social engineering and pure profit motive. Controversy sells. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

That's an insightful reply to his post and the numbers Silver posts. Thank you for the insight

2 things

1) For folks on both of the extremes, numbers mean nothing, only ideological group think and attacking those not in your "group"

2) Next month will be so interesting. All of the images from Memorial Day, seemed to be almost an unofficial "open day" for most of the country. Think the next 3 weeks will dicatet so much of what summer looks like.

I was at a course where they were letting people ride in carts together on Memorial Day. Course was packed. No masks. Beers were flowing. It was a great day to be alive and to be thankful to those who fought for days like it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

We saw the usual and expected spike in yesterday’s numbers following the three day weekend. However, as I’ve been reporting every day for almost a month now, the curve is officially flat! We appear to have reached a plateau with practically the same significantly lower death count every day. Now, with the figures at a far more manageable total, it’d be interesting to see our public health officials dig much deeper into those numbers and tell the American public where the new cases, as limited as they are, appear to be coming from. Instead of the ‘everybody wear a mask’ messaging. 

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think we will see leveling through the summer and rising through the fall and winter. As long as we don’t get the crippling spike, that’s ok. I am more interested in October and November when we start from tens to hundreds of thousands of active cases instead of 1. I’m hopeful that distancing, masks, taking care of the most at risk in a better way can get us through and keep everything running till the vaccine comes (for the people who believe in vaccines). 

9 minutes ago, LB3 said:

I was at a course where they were letting people ride in carts together on Memorial Day. Course was packed. No masks. Beers were flowing. It was a great day to be alive and to be thankful to those who fought for days like it.

absoluetly...not we just have to hope the numbers cooperate with us and we do not see a huge spike in ICU and hospitalizations in the next 3 weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

We saw the usual and expected spike in yesterday’s numbers following the three day weekend. However, as I’ve been reporting every day for almost a month now, the curve is officially flat! We appear to have reached a plateau with practically the same significantly lower death count every day. Now, with the figures at a far more manageable total, it’d be interesting to see our public health officials dig much deeper into those numbers and tell the American public where the new cases, as limited as they are, appear to be coming from. Instead of the ‘everybody wear a mask’ messaging. 

You can see which states have cases on the rise. With tests leveling in many states, cases start to indicate outbreaks. Still need the accurate rapid testing and tracing to really get on top of outbreaks but that is coming. Maybe by mid To late summer. 

10 minutes ago, shoshin said:

You can see which states have cases on the rise. With tests leveling in many states, cases start to indicate outbreaks. Still need the accurate rapid testing and tracing to really get on top of outbreaks but that is coming. Maybe by mid To late summer. 

I know you’re a big proponent of testing, and that’s nice but when the numbers come down to where they are now may be more productive to go in and find out how people caught the virus. For example, in Wyoming yesterday there were a grand total of TEN new cases reported. You’re telling me they can’t do an investigation of who exactly those ten people are and where and how they most likely contracted the virus? Of course they can! But they’re not. Or at least it’s not being reported to the American public.