The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

That’s what they want you to think. The choice is not that complicated if you use data instead of emotions. The vast, vast, vast majority of each and every State does not have a problem with the Corona Virus. This now needs to be turned over to county officials, not governors. Just like Trump turned it over to the governors a few weeks ago. 

I’m pretty sure the discussion was about the initial two months of the virus.  March and April was very difficult.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, meazza said:

I’m pretty sure the discussion was about the initial two months of the virus.  March and April was very difficult.  

Realistically, the early decisions were based on the Feb & March experience.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BillStime said:

You’re right - I should have used Trumphole.

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Facts??  No.....

Opinions

Feels

Dumbassery

I'm sorry I forgot to add:

Immature

Childish

Petulant 

Trumphole.   ?  What are you?  12? 

32 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

That’s what they want you to think. The choice is not that complicated if you use data instead of emotions. The vast, vast, vast majority of each and every State does not have a problem with the Corona Virus. This now needs to be turned over to county officials, not governors. Just like Trump turned it over to the governors a few weeks ago. 

I disagree.  We/They're dealing with a hell of a lot of unknowns.  

I agree with it should be up to the local officials but again that could really backfire.  We just don't know. 

Just now, Chef Jim said:

I disagree.  We/They're dealing with a hell of a lot of unknowns.  

I agree with it should be up to the local officials but again that could really backfire.  We just don't know. 

Yes we do. There’s no shortage of data now. If you look deeper into the age by age, state by state and county by county numbers it’s very revealing.

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Again, it all depends on where you live. This was NOT a national issue.

And this is why it's being handled on the local level.  You're in CA and you know that each county here is opening up with different protocols and restrictions.  None of this "lockdown" is on a national level. Recommendations are coming from the Feds but not rules.  

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yes we do. There’s no shortage of data now. If you look deeper into the age by age, state by state and county by county numbers it’s very revealing.

Most of what we have is data under tighter restrictions of where people can go.  We have very little data on how things will be once we open EVERYTHING back up.  

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You're using data and lessons learned as of the end of May to judge February decisions when very little was known.

Trump, in Michigan: 'We're not going to close the country' if there's a 2nd wave of coronavirus cases

President Trump acknowledged Thursday that there could be a second wave of the coronavirus epidemic later this year, but flatly stated he wouldn’t let any further outbreaks shutter the economy again.

“People say that’s a very distinct possibility,” Trump said when asked a possible second wave while in Michigan. “It's standard. And, we're going put out the fires. We're not going to close the country.”

Trump’s comments came as he was touring a Ford Motor Co. plant outside of Detroit that has converted its automobile manufacturing facility into one making ventilators. During a speech at the plant, the president praised Ford workers for their efforts to produce thousands of ventilators during the pandemic.

(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/20/2020 at 2:04 PM, Chef Jim said:

The unidentified staffer told her managers at Tula Regional Clinical Hospital that she was “too hot”

No such thing. 

On 5/20/2020 at 2:35 PM, Joe Miner said:

You won't get that kind of treatment with Obamacare.

Thanks a lot Obama.

On 5/20/2020 at 2:40 PM, Jon in Pasadena said:

Where's the pics of her getting disciplined?  (Asking for a friend.)

On 5/20/2020 at 2:41 PM, keepthefaith said:

She probably saved a few old dudes.  No way you'd go ahead and die if you knew she'd be back to take your temperature. 

On 5/21/2020 at 7:01 AM, Gary M said:

yep

https://nypost.com/2020/05/22/hot-nurse-gets-support-after-suspension-for-exposing-bra-and-panties/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Magox said:

Florida numbers still showing very low positive test rates.

That's the key, if that remains low then they can open up even more.

Image may contain: text

But trending up. That's a hell of an increase from 5/19 to 5/20 and 5/21. Not sure what that means but it's a bounce off the bottom nonetheless.  

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

But trending up. That's a hell of an increase from 5/19 to 5/20 and 5/21. Not sure what that means but it's a bounce off the bottom nonetheless.  

Chef the way they look at these are not day to day as there are variances and quirks with the reporting systems.  The way they view this is with 7 day moving averages.  If you just imagined a trend line it would show that it’s declining

Look where it was one week ago.  In the 4’s.  Just to put things in perspective the national average is at around 5%.  So mid 2’s looks really solid.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Exactly, there's no shortage of data now but decisions were made based on data two months ago.  

This is newsworthy.

CDC just provided their best estimates of the virus and it includes a mortality rate of just .26%.  

WOW

100062081_935883203531211_6971407107446800384_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_oc=AQniVwydS8LdyGoJwKFSgI9u-ZuEUvk5gHZgTJY9A2g6yt5X08Oej4g_Q8JlI5wLv62kMhYy570HcHeNudqGbjms&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=7cb7bf6ec76335a7794202b8cceb8d4d&oe=5EECD773

97948527_677858976093542_2978801579190124544_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_oc=AQm8_B7oNJpl8SsHtnx_UbPd2zosKmUc-_5tba0XMhbvwAdYcFE4dX4jtNk9p692ToAkqf6BbMpWPiYagn__Iki4&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=0bddb8250dbe4cca9f44ff6cc3e67a72&oe=5EED714D

98174593_608812576491058_8705951391060852736_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_oc=AQk-peyzKeFXNmc9qWoBL4UrPdB2cH-5lKsvDHgvjndlwe4CyoBZvSFVkcQGL2KLWvHgZtyiPU5d96IBnlZISy1t&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=c0e11eb5efa3e03043ecb13c2b94a25b&oe=5EEEB866

97997923_242461346848077_7307624096634765312_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_oc=AQmlRk9f32ZCX0rCISkUW5_Mt1gLKWOVdhu83bUej06x9kE9PLCkkYsVDP9Xupa3ATAfzKHE_XBnXx18iu1Yx8_P&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=5d97a3846db336fcedef0da1e35b5d57&oe=5EEDD93A

That would be in the lower end of where I had pegged it of .25% - .5%

And look at how low the hospitalization rates are by age.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

With roads empty, the record for fastest cross-country drive keeps getting smashed

A nearly empty Pacific Coast Highway in March. A nearly empty Pacific Coast Highway in March. (Mark J. Terrill/AP)

Since 1971, a daring fraternity of drivers has competed to see how quickly it is possible to get from the Red Ball Garage in midtown Manhattan to the Portofino Hotel in Redondo Beach, Calif. — a nearly 3,000-mile journey known as the “Cannonball Run.”

With traffic virtually nonexistent during the coronavirus pandemic, that record keeps getting smashed. In early April, a crew in an Audi A8 sedan made it across the country in 26 hours and 38 minutes, according to Road & Track magazine. But they didn’t get to be champions for long: Last week, Ed Bolian, a former record holder who has become the stunt’s unofficial arbiter, announced that another team had made it coast-to-coast in under 26 hours.

Because the undertaking is extremely illegal, Cannonballers are understandably cautious to remain anonymous — at least until after the statute of limitations is up. So not much is known about the new record holders, who would have had to maintain an average speed of over 108 mph, and reportedly averaged 120 mph in several states.

Some members of the Cannonball community take a dim view of drivers who are defying stay-at-home orders to take advantage of the empty highways. When the Audi A8 beat the pre-pandemic Cannonball record by 45 minutes in April, Alex Roy, a former record holder, told Road & Track, “If you hit a truck moving medical supplies and people die because of it, that’s on you.”

An Instagram account claiming to be the “official” record keeper for the Cannonball Run has said that any records set during the pandemic won’t be considered legitimate.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GG said:

You're using data and lessons learned as of the end of May to judge February decisions when very little was known.

No I'm not. I'm simply looking at the data.  The problem has been that the drive-by observers are not digging deep enough into the data and are instead glossing over the larger totals.  There is a ton that we now know.  We didn't know it back in February.  Note....I am NOT blaming those in charge for what they didn't know back at the time. 

• Like (+1) 1