The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

They don't want you safe, they want you AFRAID. 

Gotta be brave. Now more than ever. 

Clay has been great on this (and most other things).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, B-Man said:

What a mess. Hospitals have been incentivized to classify anything as Covid 19. Yet those very statistics are what Governors are using to keep people locked down and out of work. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Reality Check said:

If this is the depth of the conversation you want to have, you may want to reconsider staying home by yourself all day. I am saying this as a friend.

There is no conversation. You win.

21 minutes ago, Hedge said:

That is a strange way to count. In PA, nursing home deaths account for 69% of all our deaths. 3% of all the people in nursing homes in PA died in the last 8 weeks. It’s staggering. 

In 2017, 5.5 million children under five years old died (15,000 every day) compared to 12.6 million in 1990 (34,000 every day) Globally, under five mortality rate dropped to 39 deaths per 1,000 live births in 2017 from 93 in 1990 – a 58 per cent decline.

interesting stats that nobody talks about.  
15,000 is unreal. 

7 hours ago, shoshin said:

My neighbors recovered and during recovery, never drove their minivan. Unlike HCQ, no studies on avoiding minivan as treatment yet, though it’s working for most people. 

Most people get better with zero intervention. 

Trump requires everyone around him to wear masks and get tested every day. He’s in a few high risk categories (old and obese)  and is exercising all the caution he can. 

So you’re saying that doctor is full of *****? 

5 minutes ago, mead107 said:

In 2017, 5.5 million children under five years old died (15,000 every day) compared to 12.6 million in 1990 (34,000 every day) Globally, under five mortality rate dropped to 39 deaths per 1,000 live births in 2017 from 93 in 1990 – a 58 per cent decline.

interesting stats that nobody talks about.  
15,000 is unreal. 

That is the tragedy for poor countries 

3 minutes ago, Justice said:

So you’re saying that doctor is full of *****? 

I’m saying that studies don’t back up her claim, probably because most Covid patients get better. With all the anecdotes and people who have gotten it and studies that have been done, the fact that all the studies show it’s not working is why we are hearing so much less about it. It would be awesome if it worked. 

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

"According to a CNN poll released this week, nearly three-quarters of Democrats said the worst of the crisis is still ahead of us..."

"... while only about a quarter of Republicans said the same. This marked a 15 percentage-point drop among Democrats since CNN last asked the question in April, and a 44-point drop among Republicans. A YouGov/Economist poll also found a similar divide this week; 58 percent of Democrats said the pandemic is going to get worse compared with only 20 percent of Republicans...."

FiveThirtyEight reports.

Why should predictions about what a virus will do have so much to do with political orientation? I might be missing something, but I see 2 types of reasoning:

1. Optimism or pessimism is a psychological orientation that is more fundamental than political affiliation. It affects which party you feel drawn to and how you see the virus going in the future. Pessimists picture things going wrong, so they want more help from the government, and the Democrats are there to offer to help. Optimists think they can make good things happen and the Republicans offer to get government out of the way.

2. A Republican is in the White House, and Democrats don't trust him and assume he's screwing things up, so they're more likely to picture bad things happening in the future. There's also wishful thinking: They want him to fail, and more death and sickness is something that — in a perverse and unacknowledged way — they want. Republicans are the opposite. They're more able to trust Trump, and the ordinary wishful thinking that the virus will go away aligns nicely with the hope that Trump will triumph.

I know Nate Silver didn't write that but he's an honest guy and he's all about the numbers.  No doubt that he is a lefty but he's not a hack and he's been in his own way criticizing those in the media who are sensationalizing out-of-context top line numbers to depict things worse than they are.    

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Magox said:

I know Nate Silver didn't write that but he's an honest guy and he's all about the numbers.  No doubt that he is a lefty but he's not a hack and he's been in his own way criticizing those in the media who are sensationalizing out-of-context top line numbers to depict things worse than they are.    

...but isn't that the Dems' end game?......solely focus on deaths?......why are hospitals getting $39,000 for a death through Medicare Cares Act funding but only $13,000 for a non- Covid 19 death?.....so report the guy with a gunshot wound or the heart attack dude as Covid-19 and pick up an extra 52 grand?......so now add in that relic Pelosi's 3 TRILLION DOLLAR lunacy and there you have it.....Quid Pro Joe is the white knight candidate who would NEVER have these deaths on HIS watch or trillions of new debt on HIS watch....so once inaugurated and remanded to the West Wing Nursing Home, VP Kamala "The Thrillah" Harris fixes everything....uh oh.....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

This makes me little angry :( 

:beer: It should. He begged for a hospital ship and hospitals -- then sent infected patients back to nursing homes rather than use them. 

(Because getting the country "better" isn't his primary goal)

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2